Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Gear New Presenters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The game is up

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

Ball is well and truly burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,106 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

27842-beating_dead_horse_what.jpg?w=400&h=244

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I quite like Freddie but think Paddy will drag it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Richard Porter (sniff petrol and I think now ex top gear script writer) would be a great presenter I think. He does some videos with Jonny Smith from 5th gear. The two of them would be worth getting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'd say Clarkson, May and Hammond are laughing their arses off at this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Paddy McGuinness is not the solution to any presentation problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Top gear was Clarkson,May and Hammond. The appeal of the programme was the interaction between the 3 lads the crique of cars was secondary. Time for the Beeb to realise it's a busted flush without them and let go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Clarkson Hammond and May were pure magic together. No other presenters could match them. I couldn’t even bring myself to watch Chris Evans. Complete disaster.

What they should do is try and recruit Tiff, Vicky etc and see what they could do with it rather than these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The three lads were no doubt the peak of the show.

It’s returning to it’s sketchy roots, remember guys this show was presented by Angela Rippon, Noel Edmonds and Sue Barker at doffrlerent times.

I’d grown out of favour with clarkson anyway, he’s just become a horrible toff with ugly views on some things.

5th gear is a far better show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I'd no idea who paddy mcguinness was. I had to youtube him. Still dont know him, but I do know he aint funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Think it was Sue Baker, a motoring journalist who knew about cars in a practical way (especially loading sills for lifting boxes into your boot), back in the William Wollard days. Sue Barker would have been busy playing tennis.

Yes 5th gear is a proper show, but it's buried away on ch5. Tiff and Vicky would be proper presenters for a top gear/5th gear hybrid.

The Clarkson and hammond 'act' is also fairly irrelevant now the juvenile, jack ass storm has moved on to something else these days. Thankfully.
    Clarkson being put out to pasture on game shows as he is a long time past his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Seriously who makes these decisions? For some reason I hold out hope that top gear will get back on its feet but this is a kick in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah the last series was actually alright. I thought they had actually started to make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes 5th gear is a proper show, but it's buried away on ch5.
    Buried indeed .. it hasn't been on Channel 5 since 2011 :D Currently on Quest after a stint on Discovery Channel and then History Channel of all things.

Matt LeBlanc's reason for leaving was that the travelling between the UK and US was taking its toll on him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Matt LeBlanc's reason for leaving was that the travelling between the UK and US was taking its toll on him.

Wasnt there a lot of it shot last season in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

At least LeBlanc was a pretty likeable guy... are these really the best that the BBC could find? I expect it to be wall to wall "boys banter"

godtabh wrote: »

Possibly, that was his official reasoning anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but I liked the new Top Gear.

I too had gotten bored with the original 3. It was time for the show to move on anyway.

It was definitely, DEFINITELY rough around the edges, but to think that they could emulate what took May, Hammond and Clarkeson years to grow, in a couple of seasons is just nonsense.

Feel bad for the Chris, Rory and less so LeBlanc, as he has proved to be fairly adept in tv and will no doubt find another project. There was potential there I thought.

I will not be watching the latest one.

PS - I also agree Fifth Gear is well worth watching

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

everlast75 wrote: »
    It was definitely, DEFINITELY rough around the edges, but to think that they could emulate what took May, Hammond and Clarkeson years to grow, in a couple of seasons is just nonsense.

I think what was really missing was a mashup of Entertainment with a loose sense of Journalism.

It went to all entertainment. Which Matt was able to pull off quite well. But other aspects to it felt a bit hollow because Chris was the only one with any Journalist experience. And that's still the case here.

Feeling a bit sorry for Rory. He could have been managed and developed a bit better. He seemed like a spare wheel last season and now pushed off to an online show, that I don't imagine gets much viewership.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Think it was Sue Baker, a motoring journalist who knew about cars in a practical way (especially loading sills for lifting boxes into your boot), back in the William Wollard days. Sue Barker would have been busy playing tennis.

Yes 5th gear is a proper show, but it's buried away on ch5. Tiff and Vicky would be proper presenters for a top gear/5th gear hybrid.

The Clarkson and hammond 'act' is also fairly irrelevant now the juvenile, jack ass storm has moved on to something else these days. Thankfully.
    Clarkson being put out to pasture on game shows as he is a long time past his best.

Yes 5th gear is a proper show, but it's buried away on ch5.

It is on Quest as well.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I like Harris and Le Blanc but this is probably the final nail in the TG coffin.

I despise Flintoff and anyone on that sh*te League of Their Own and even though McGuinness is meant to be a bit of a car guy, I cant see him clicking with people at all.

I think theyre going to go all out for comedy effect and its not going to work.

They tried it last year and Reid and Harris were less than believable in the scripted parts, stand alone with little script, they're both good car journalists but throwing in two novices is going to drag it down even more so.

I'd start writing the obituaries for this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,527 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its sad to see Top Gear is not valued by the BBC. They can't even get any decent presenters for it. I thought LeBlanc done a good job. A pity he is leaving. I think Patrick Stewart might have been a good call if he was not busy but he is now.
    How about David Coulthard and Lee Mckenzie? They will both be down a job after the end of Channel 4's F1 coverage. Is too late for the BBC to see if they would be interested? I think they could do a good job.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Paddy bloody McGuinness :rolleyes:....with his exaggerated northern english accent, he about as funny as a cracked nipple

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

godtabh wrote: »

Yeah. It was mostly in the States... They did a Cuba show too. I suppose it was filming the studio parts that he had to travel for a few weeks to the UK for. I don't know exactly what else he is up to. Thought it was a good gig for LeBlanc.

I actually really liked the last series of Top Gear. I thought the 3 of them had really started to click together nicely. It was enjoyable to watch again. LeBlanc is saying it was the travel, but the BBC should have really just paid him more to make him stay. McGuinness and Flintoff is going to be a tough watch. Chris Harris is the only decent thing left about the show now.

I think Chris' look in the Flintoff tweet says it all!! Staring off into the distance wonder how this happened! :)

https://twitter.com/flintoff11/status/1054333319356276738

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I think Chris' look in the Flintoff tweet says it all!! Staring off into the distance wonder how this happened! :)

yes he does have that look, what am i doing with these twats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭flazio

One of the older Top Gear presenters, Rory Reid, has announced he has joined 5th Gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,077 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fifth Gear is back on 25th November on Discovery+ and the following week on Discovery.

Advertisement