Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hotel cancellation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Tippgirl74

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed, again, it's the hotels error they've admitted as much, refer to my first response, there is nothing any other organisation, consumer rights, small claims court etc can or will do, the OP needs to chase this up with the hotel.

Thank you, we followed up with the hotel in as far as possible without any resolution. We got it in writing initially. When my OH subsequently phoned the duty manager was insistent that it was a take it or leave it offer. Groupon advised today that we could reschedule but under the circumstances we will pass on that. I sought to escalate it to a Groupon manager so that's likely to be our last resort. After that it will be a few reviews and case closed!!

august12 wrote: »
    I think you need a holiday after all this OP!!!!!

Lol yes it's amazing the amount of headspace I have allowed this to occupy!! Definitely need some downtime!! I have no appetite now to head anywhere!!

I would imagine that the helpful District Court Clerk will advise the consumer of that if she contacts him. Hence no €25 will be lost and the only cost will be that of the phone call.

Thank you. We might consider that. Never had to do it before.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I must have missed it, where did the hotel admit it was their error?

My understanding is that it was groupon’s error which the hotel had contacted groupon about but groupon hadn’t rectified it.

Yes that is what the hotel reported to us. Today Groupon stated that the hotel reported to them today that they had to cancel the booking due to unforeseen circumstances. So who knows what the truth is?

If you read original op, Hotel states they knew of issues with Groupons terms and conditions and it would appear for quite some time. Again, it's up to the hotel to manage any and all 3rd party booking engines, prices, availability and in particular any discounting companies they agree to do business with. It is beggars belief they did not spot this until 2 days prior to OPs arrival. Seperate to this, their own internal reservations system should have picked this up.

OP, couLd contact IHF and also use social media, primarily Twitter or FB to stir this up, with the emphasis on staycations, neither the hotel or the IHF want bad publicity and over what is a trifling amount of money.

Thank you for the suggestion. I might contact the IHF. It's a really good idea but I'm not sure I'd want the publicity of a social media campaign. Maybe it's an Irish thing of not wanting others to know your business!!! Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So although the hotel has clearly indicated that its agreement with Groupon doesn't cover weekend nights, you know for a fact that Groupon had informed it of this particular booking months ago and the hotel had confirmed it!!!!!

Quite an exceptional insight - I assume that you're psychic!

No, but 30 years in the business has helped

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    Thank you for the suggestion. I might contact the IHF. It's a really good idea but I'm not sure I'd want the publicity of a social media campaign. Maybe it's an Irish thing of not wanting others to know your business!!! Lol

It may help and I truly believe the hotel has messed up here, if they knew terms and conditions did not include weekends they coukd have addressed this weeks ago and it's very telling they offered as a gesture a discount if you booked with them directly albeit the discount not the issue. Good luck anyway I just hate to see this happen, particularly when people are being enco to staycation

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

Call the hotel and find out the name of the Reservations Manager/Revenue Manager. Then call back tomorrow and ask to talk to same.

Outline the issues and see what he/she has to say. If nothing productive is forthcoming ask to speak to the General Manager or have him/her call you back.

Make/take the call yourself as your other half may be too emotionally involved after the conversation with DM. The Duty Manager is usually a Jack of all trades. You need to be speaking with the person responsible for Reservations.

Perhaps accept that the hotel are within their rights but state that you hope that they can meet you half way as you really want to enjoy a stay at their hotel! See what happens.

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

People, seven pages over a difference of 90 euro !

After the year 2020 has been so far my suggestion is (not that anybody has asked for it)

Two options -

Pay the money go to the hotel, you should have a great time and enjoy yourself, forget about the extra €90 and just relax and unwind.

Or

Take the refund offered, don’t go this weekend and book somewhere else for another time.

No need to one star anyone (what have we become as people) go to small claims court, (over €90!), don’t get stressed over something that should be relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you read original op, Hotel states they knew of issues with Groupons terms and conditions and it would appear for quite some time. Again, it's up to the hotel to manage any and all 3rd party booking engines, prices, availability and in particular any discounting companies they agree to do business with. It is beggars belief they did not spot this until 2 days prior to OPs arrival. Seperate to this, their own internal reservations system should have picked this up.

OP, couLd contact IHF and also use social media, primarily Twitter or FB to stir this up, with the emphasis on staycations, neither the hotel or the IHF want bad publicity and over what is a trifling amount of money.

So you are suggesting that the op defame the hotel? What a wonderful person you are.

Will you pay the legal costs of the defamation action if the hotel took one? I don't think so.

And as far as your comments on booking sites, you are wrong too. SOME booking engines are micro managed by the place you are booking but many are not.

In this situation the OP paid Groupon, booked via Groupon and received their confirmation from Groupon. Guess what? That means Groupon is wholly responsible under the consumer code.

Don't know why the op is not targeting Groupon - that's where the fault lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It may help and I truly believe the hotel has messed up here, if they knew terms and conditions did not include weekends they coukd have addressed this weeks ago and it's very telling they offered as a gesture a discount if you booked with them directly albeit the discount not the issue. Good luck anyway I just hate to see this happen, particularly when people are being enco to staycation

The hotel did not mess up. Groupon did. Somehow I don't think you understand the basics of consumer law.

The hotel has tried to meet halfway. I'd say that's decent - considering how busy Kerry is, they could get a premium price for the room.

But some people just want to target the small guy and let the big (huge) multinational off the hook even if its blatantly their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I still feel the OP should go, weather seems to be good and once there, you will forgot about this and have a lovely time, as someone said, life is too short, but I still feel it was bad form from the hotel to have hit you with this two days before check in. Anyway, if you go, enjoy and if you don't, then you will probably be wishing you were there.

Beagslife wrote: »
    Call the hotel and find out the name of the Reservations Manager/Revenue Manager. Then call back tomorrow and ask to talk to same.

Outline the issues and see what he/she has to say. If nothing productive is forthcoming ask to speak to the General Manager or have him/her call you back.

Make/take the call yourself as your other half may be too emotionally involved after the conversation with DM. The Duty Manager is usually a Jack of all trades. You need to be speaking with the person responsible for Reservations.

Perhaps accept that the hotel are within their rights but state that you hope that they can meet you half way as you really want to enjoy a stay at their hotel! See what happens.

Good luck with it.

Thank you, that is good advice but we were actually due to check in tomorrow!! We now no longer wish to stay there as I think the customer service was so poor, regardless of what share of the blame lay with which party. We would have been open to any kind of reasonable resolution but the manager did not engage. Yes perhaps the hotel are within their rights, but it's a terribly shabby way to treat customers. Who was it said ethics is about doing the right thing even when you have a right to do the wrong thing? Or something to that effect!!

august12 wrote: »
    I still feel the OP should go, weather seems to be good and once there, you will forgot about this and have a lovely time, as someone said, life is too short, but I still feel it was bad form from the hotel to have hit you with this two days before check in. Anyway, if you go, enjoy and if you don't, then you will probably be wishing you were there.
    Thank you. No we've decided to leave it for this weekend and maybe book something for the end of the month. Would resent giving them our business now after this. I'm actually quite happy chilling at home, maybe do some day trips...nice to be off work!!

Darc19 wrote: »
    The hotel did not mess up. Groupon did. Somehow I don't think you understand the basics of consumer law.

The hotel has tried to meet halfway. I'd say that's decent - considering how busy Kerry is, they could get a premium price for the room.

But some people just want to target the small guy and let the big (huge) multinational off the hook even if its blatantly their fault.

I don't think any of us know who messed up here. I have got two completely different responses. Who knows what the truth is!! I am also pursuing it with Groupon as far as I can, but I think the little guy is the consumer!! Both Groupon and the hotel are off the hook really and I don't believe either care two hoots!! They'll issue a refund case closed!! I don't consider an additional 90 euros with less than 48 hours notice a decent offer, especially in light of booking and paying for the room in June. But of course that's arguable!

So you are suggesting that the op defame the hotel? What a wonderful person you are.

Will you pay the legal costs of the defamation action if the hotel took one? I don't think so.

And as far as your comments on booking sites, you are wrong too. SOME booking engines are micro managed by the place you are booking but many are not.

In this situation the OP paid Groupon, booked via Groupon and received their confirmation from Groupon. Guess what? That means Groupon is wholly responsible under the consumer code.

Your clearly not getting my point but that's perfectly fine albeit, I disagree with your widely absurd notion I recommended anyone defame the hotel, perhaps you might read my comments with are entirely ligitimate. Any consumer is perfectly entitled to contact a representative body that represents the hotel in question (the one un named by the way), they are also perfectly entitled to make representations on the social media feeds of said hotel, in fact its sad to say, it seems the only way to get businesses react these days. I won't get into how booking engines work but suffice to say I've ample experience of how they work.

I emailed Groupon first thing this morning. I posted their reply stating they had been told by the hotel that the cancellation was due to unforeseen circumstances. The hotel only cancelled with us via email at 5.30pm yesterday. We emailed and phoned the hotel yesterday evening in the hope we could find a mutually acceptable solution but that did not happen!! I have asked the case to be referred to a manager at Groupon. I'm not sure that all the responsibility is with Groupon. At which point does the merchant take over? I actually think it's important to advise people of how the hotel handled this, as long as it's truthful, fair and balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Tippgirl74 wrote: »
    I emailed Groupon first thing this morning. I posted their reply stating they had been told by the hotel that the cancellation was due to unforeseen circumstances. The hotel only cancelled with us via email at 5.30pm yesterday. We emailed and phoned the hotel yesterday evening in the hope we could find a mutually acceptable solution but that did not happen!! I have asked the case to be referred to a manager at Groupon. I'm not sure that all the responsibility is with Groupon. At which point does the merchant take over? I actually think it's important to advise people of how the hotel handled this, as long as it's truthful, fair and balanced.

Have I picked this up wrong. You paid Groupon and booked via Groupon. If so your contract was with Groupon. Groupon need to sort it out with the Hotel, as they are the ones who made to booking. Unless I missed a bit of the chain.

Maybe the Small Claims Court might be a possibility here, re breach of contract. Worth a little investigation:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/small-claims-procedure/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html#ld1a9a

https://www.csol.ie/ccms/welcome.html

Ps I have in the past indicated to a business or two that I would use the courts services and this has brought a quick resolution to my satisfaction when a situation, like yours, is definitely unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Maybe the Small Claims Court might be a possibility here, re breach of contract. Worth a little investigation:

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/how-to-complain/small-claims-procedure/

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/small_claims_court.html#ld1a9a

https://www.csol.ie/ccms/welcome.html

Ps I have in the past indicated to a business or two that I would use the courts services and this has brought a quick resolution to my satisfaction when a situation, like yours, is definitely unfair.

She's already been offered a refund. Small claims won't do anything

• Advertisement

Maybe if you find somewhere reasonably priced, last minute, in Kerry, take the refund from Groupon and enjoy the weekend, and make more formal complaints later etc so as to save future customers same fate. Yes, Kerry can be very pricey this peak time, but two years ago I found really great value of €65 b&b (single) at one of the larger hotels in Tralee (included leisure club use) on their own website where others in Dingle etc had been double the price and more. Good luck, am sure you could really do with a break.

She's already been offered a refund. Small claims won't do anything

It's a breach of contract. But of course may be more trouble than it's worth. But businesses should not get away with stuff either.

After the year 2020 has been so far my suggestion is (not that anybody has asked for it)

Two options -

Pay the money go to the hotel, you should have a great time and enjoy yourself, forget about the extra €90 and just relax and unwind.

Or

Take the refund offered, don’t go this weekend and book somewhere else for another time.

No need to one star anyone (what have we become as people) go to small claims court, (over €90!), don’t get stressed over something that should be relaxing.

Thank you for putting this in context! Definitely a first world problem!! I am blown away by the interest in my issue and everyone who took the time and effort to respond. I am really grateful. Yes 90 euros wouldn't break us. For me it's about the disrespect to us, as customer from both parties. That last minute 5.30 pm email cancelling the booking when all arrangements were made, and the attitude in our ensuing phone call! The curt 'brush off' email from groupon. Yes it's utopian to expect everyone to treat us fairly and with respect and the most resilient people accept this. Unfortunately, it still presses my buttons and I would resent giving them my custom now. I would love to be zen enough not to get stressed as you suggest but for me it's easier said than done. I think reviews hold businesses accountable and I think that is a good thing as long as reviews are fair and honest. I think it gives the consumer a voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It's a breach of contract. But of course may be more trouble than it's worth. But businesses should not get away with stuff either.

So you think the SCC might award damages which exceed the amount paid by the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

SCC won't entertain the op if a refund has been offered. They don't have anything to do with pain/suffering/inconvenience.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Have I picked this up wrong. You paid Groupon and booked via Groupon. If so your contract was with Groupon. Groupon need to sort it out with the Hotel, as they are the ones who made to booking. Unless I missed a bit of the chain.

Yes you are correct in your account. I contacted them and have requested it be escalated to a manager. They've offered a refund according to the hotel, and in their reply this morning offered alternative dates. But we were due to check in tomorrow so it still falls short of a satisfactory solution for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Two options -

Or

To a lot of people €90 is a very big deal and the lateness is a concern. I suspect that the hotel told Groupon that the date could not be kept thinking they would then tell the OP. Unfortunately Grupon did not do this as they wash there hands of these as per there t&c's and as the dates approached they went again to the hotel and this time rang the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Yes and the main problem here is who should have communicated with the OP. AS you said it was booked through Groupon in there website with there acknowledgement. So the hotel let them know of there error thinking they will fix it.

Groupon on the other hand think once there transaction is done it is over to the hotel to respond and I feel this is why the hotel took so long to contact the OP as they saw nothing was done.

Dav010 wrote: »
    So you think the SCC might award damages which exceed the amount paid by the op?

It's about holding them accountable, that would be all, and most probably not worth it overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It's about holding them accountable, that would be all, and most probably not worth it overall.

But they are giving the op a full refund, why would you spend €25 to get back money you have already been given?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement