Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Saturday Night: Winds rapidly increasing with extreme gusts to 70kts+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Would expect some damage along that path and if you're reading this east of Athlone it has not peaked yet (I think).

Near Mullingar, gusts are getting more frequent and stronger as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

From the look of guidance, would expect strongest winds to reach Meath and Dublin about 0300h and Belfast about 0400-0500h, trough is very fast-moving and is about on a Donegal-Laois line at present (0200h) so west of that it should gradually calm down with the usual after-shock gusts -- for Donegal it may pick up very suddenly since they are further north in a wider portion of the trough. The south coast will probably not see quite the same increase in wind speeds as the main impact under the jet will be about Galway to Drogheda. Would expect some damage along that path and if you're reading this east of Athlone it has not peaked yet (I think).

Will Donegal see the worst of it? or less compared to other areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I am in navan and I think either my roof is about to blow off or my windows blow in! Never heard anything like it in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

eaglej13 wrote: »
    wow just got serious in castlebar. crazy wind speed at min. serious gusts now. maybe the mayan prediction was a few days out, could this be the start, lol:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    yes iam here as well have not see wind like this in cbar in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Quite wild there at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

Very windy in Malahide now , strong guts up to 50 kts , alarms going off everywhere , !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Nice jetstream alright

wi03_zps53b95f69.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It won't be worse in Donegal and it may actually be slightly less extreme there, this appears meso-scale in dimensions and so you can be outside the peak wind belt to either north or south, but as Donegal is also more exposed to the ocean and has local wind funnel potential, I would say to be on the safe side to expect some extreme gusts there. Same comment applies to north coast of Ulster in general, they will see perhaps peak gusts a few knots lower than the inland or central zone I mentioned except for a few exposed locations. Models have been hinting at another strong wind event around next weekend too.

Bsal wrote: »
    Nice jetstream alright

wi03_zps53b95f69.gif

Some headwind for anything flying to the states :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Would expect some damage along that path and if you're reading this east of Athlone it has not peaked yet (I think).

Ohh Boll*x!!!

In dublin city and Its very strong at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thanks to maquiladora for being spot on with his input for this storm

and MT who forecast this a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I'm back home on Belmullet and it is extremely windy at the minute. Heavy rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bb12

north co dublin and we have trees down already

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

gusts of 60 - 70km/h here in Dundalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Weathering wrote: »
    Will Donegal see the worst of it? or less compared to other areas?

Looks like the worst of it will miss Donegal for a change, Galway through to Down/Louth seems to be the most intense although if you're near the coast it might get wild for a while between 3am and 6am.

Seems to be passing here now, nothing particularly extreme but at least its been a bit of excitement for the first time in quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

Wow, in North Dublin and that wind is so intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

There's going to be a lot of outdoor christmas lights/decorations all over the place in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

There's going to be a lot of outdoor christmas lights/decorations all over the place in the morning.

Ho ho ho ho-ly fck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hard to sleep in Galway at the moment but I think the worst could be over the wind noise is not as bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Two tiles off the fecking porch:mad:
    Mental here at the minute.

• Advertisement

Very strong gusts for the last 30minutes or so intensifying in the last 5. Mullingar Automatic is reporting as to being not available now, I wonder if that was something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Wind is absolutely mental here in Clontarf!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hard to sleep in Galway at the moment but I think the worst could be over the wind noise is not as bad

Yep, its peaked on the west coast now.

Still, gust of 125 km/h at Mace Head at 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

very windy here now,just had lights flicker,better get the candles at the ready ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

wow. that is unreal wind. guess i'm not gonna get any sleep tonight... gusts keep waking me. very strong gusts!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Weathering wrote: »

Ho ho ho ho-ly fck
    Made me chuckle....

Power gone. Feck. It's been a while since the wind did that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Affecting the tv, a serious storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Some flights trying to land at dublin airport seem to be missing the runway due to the wind...

http://www.flightradar24.com/ check out flight FR8012

Looks like its diverting now.

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Some flights trying to land at dublin airport seem to be missing the runway due to the wind...

http://www.flightradar24.com/ check out flight FR8012

Looks like its diverting now.

Was that an inbound Ryanair one? Was watching it until the power went

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement