Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

!!! Warning to TV Licence Inspectors !!!

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nope. And the notion they can detect anything is baloney. It is simple scare tactics.

As a graduate in that particular area of expertise, I know that the detector vans and such are utter rubbish with no value other than to scare suckers. It's utter rubbish, and I speak as a recipient of years of training and practical experience. Detector vans are for the gullible. Hand held devices? Gimme a break.

Should I wish to have a TV on the premises, the chance of it being detected are precisely zero. Hell, were I of a contrarian mind, I could broadcast signals that would mess them up.

There were TV detector vans in the past. With a radio receiver which picked up the emissions from nearby TV sets which were switched on. But that was only useful as a method to establish licence records when just a small percentage of houses in each street had a TV set.

When TV sets became commonplace and a big majority of houses had a licence it was more practical to send an inspector to check at addresses without a licence.

The TV licence started in 1962 and by the 1980's TV ownership was pretty well universal so the detector vans had a short shelf life. But they definitely did exist and they did work with detecting analogue TV sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

What the fcuk is a transvestite license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

How can he obtain a search warrant without a name to put on it?

It's a bluff. The guards have better things to do with their time than searching people's houses for televisions, and any judge will know this.

Advertisement