Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amir Khan

• 14-07-2005 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

There's an awful lot of hype surrounding Amir Khan at the moment especialy with his first pro fight coming up this weekend. What's everyone's opinion on him? I know I'll be rooting for Bailey this weekend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

To be honest I don't think he's gonna be the next Hamed. I think he turned pro too quick, where was the rush? I'm expecting him to win by UD this Saturday, though I don't really mind what the outcome of the fight is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭snakeater

Yeah in ten years time he'll only be 28. I think he should have waited until after the next olympics to turn pro. He'd learn more fighting the top amateurs in the world than against journeymen hand picked by Frank Warren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

He certainly looked classy in his short amateur career but it’s impossible to say how he will adapt to the professional ranks until he has a few fights. Can’t believe that people are comparing him to Hamed, nothing like each other in style or personality.

He could be a great!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kahn will win this fight by TKO , but in the long run I don't think he will be that successful . This fight is listed at lightweight (135) but Kahn weighed in at 137 which is in the 140(light Welterweight) division . So Kahn has no chance of winning a major title young because the Champs at 140 are : Floyd Mayweather Jnr , Ricky Hatton , Miguel Cotto and Carlos Maussa who will most likely lose the rematch between him and Harris . Not to mention Tszyu , Witter , M'Baye , Koeltnik possibly Corrales soon and many other decent fighter are at this weight .

Some of the champs might move up (Cotto is very big on the scales he'll be gone up by next year and Mayweather will go up for the money) which means Hatton will most likely mopp up the division .

So all I have to say is Kahn isn't going to win a major title for quite some time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

wow, that was a quick fight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yep short and sweet. will it be repeated on the tv today anyone know?

Impressive stuff from Amir. I was expecting a UD. Shame about Williams not showing up though : \

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Geiger wrote:
    Impressive stuff from Amir. I was expecting a UD. Shame about Williams not showing up though : \

Very impressive debut, Bailey totally out of his league. I always think it's a bad idea to give so much exposure to the early fights of up and coming fighters as the crowds get bored by first round wins so hopefully ITV keep it a bit low key until at least his 10th fight.

What is the problem with Williams? Did he bottle it, he got in the same ring as Tyson??

I don't think William's was afraid of Skelton. Frank Warren said it wasn't the flu though, it was an unspecified personal problem i.e he's messed up in the head or the wife left him

Seems like last minute nerves got to Williams in the end. In my opinion at this stage of his career, Danny should be strong enough not to let this happening. He's going to have a hard time coming back from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I was right about the TKO :) , I new Bailey's reocrd looked a little better than it was still a win that quick is very impressive .

It's interesting what BigEars was saying earlier about Kahn fighting in the light welterweight division, at the moment that has got some of the toughest fighters in it. You remember when Rooney got a hat trick on his debut for United against Fenerbache? I have the same feeling about Kahn and his last fight, once the opponents get better it could be a different story. There'll be even more hype surrounding him now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Khan, my favourite thing about the athens olympics. Hes got bags of talent.

Advertisement