Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewing driving licence online

• 12-07-2019 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

My driving licence is due soon.  I want to avoid going to the ndls centre so would just like to know if it is straight forward to renew online.  I know I have to register for a mygov id account (I have a pps card). But how does it work with the photos etc.  I don't want to do it online only to be told I have to come in for certain things anyway.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Graceland wrote: »
    My driving licence is due soon.  I want to avoid going to the ndls centre so would just like to know if it is straight forward to renew online.  I know I have to register for a mygov id account (I have a pps card). But how does it work with the photos etc.  I don't want to do it online only to be told I have to come in for certain things anyway.
    Thanks.

I would imagine that you can take a photo using your smartphone and use that just like they have with the online Passport renewal application. If your licence has truck or bus categories, you will need to go in to NDLS though as it looks like the online renewal is for Car only. You also need to go in to NDLS if you have a medical issue that has to be marked on your licence (wearing glasses does not count).

Details here. https://ndls.rsa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's a piece of cake. They already have your photo from the PS card.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

Thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

My daughter is right now trying to renew her licence online and it's just not giving her the option of submitting the application even though she has a PSC and she has also registered with MyGov. Is there something else she should be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

lola1 wrote: »
    My daughter is right now trying to renew her licence online and it's just not giving her the option of submitting the application even though she has a PSC and she has also registered with MyGov. Is there something else she should be doing?

She's doing something wrong, it's a piece of cake. Tell her to go back up the screen and make sure there isn't an error message in one of the fields - invalid value or she didn't enter any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

I've booked a NDLS appointment for next week to renew my license.
    How have I never heard of this?
    Better question:Is there any penalty for not showing up to the appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

Thanks for the advice. She tried again today and it worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Graceland wrote: »
    My driving licence is due soon. I want to avoid going to the ndls centre so would just like to know if it is straight forward to renew online. I know I have to register for a mygov id account (I have a pps card). But how does it work with the photos etc. I don't want to do it online only to be told I have to come in for certain things anyway.
    Thanks.

- Just got my letter today as Licence expires in a few weeks.

I have pps card and a mygov id.

My licence is the old paper one. Can I still apply online?

I don't want to do it online only to be told I have to come in for certain things anyway.

I was under the impression you had to go into office at least once. Wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

My licence was the old paper one and I had no problem applying online. It was very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement