Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Basketball Courts in Dublin

Options
  • 02-01-2005 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where there are any? Hopefully not in Skangerville.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭phil

I know there's one off Gardiner street, I've never played there and to be honest the neighbourhood looks rough.

It's too cold and dark to play much outside this time of year I find, so I mostly try and stick to indoor courts. There's a school around the corner from me (beside DCU) that I practice on and mostly I find that most people practice on schools outdoor courts.

If there's anywhere where there's actually pickup games though, that'd be pretty cool!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

There are a few out in Bushey park afaik..

Tox

Just out of curiosity where's Bushey Park?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Out near Rathfarnham and Terenure.. as you're heading for Templeogue..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    There are a few out in Bushey park afaik..

Tox

Yeah I'm pretty sure there is. Kinda in the middle and to the side of the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

the courts in Gardiner Street are fine, i usualy play there in the during the summer... its in a dodgy area but u dont get any hassle unless u look for it and when the weather is nice there is normally a good few ppl there (for protection.. if u neet it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

There's a few courts beside Bayside Dart station too. Hastle every one of you local councillors to get them in your own area, surely there is some space somewhere. I live near griffith park in Drumcondra and the only amenities there is a playground for kids with a gammy surface (currently being replaced thanks to the out going Fine Gael councillor). There's plenty of room for tennis courts and basketball courts but they won't build them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i live very close to griffith park myslef... i remember roumors of courts going up in the park... it will never happen tho... just like the re-surfacing of the courts in fairview park with the souls of old nike runners :D

FYI, for anyone living in or around DCU, there are courts just off Collins Avenue.

It was a bit windy this morning, but I was down there playing. A couple of the rings are only about 9'8/9'10 as well, so anyone who's aerially challenged should be able to dunk pretty easy.

Rings are a bit harsh, and the backboards are useless (some sort of galvanised steel or something), but they take a bit of a bashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 phil.b

Anyone know anymore public basketball courts in North Dublin??

Went searching for some today and couldn't find any.. Where are the ones off Collins Avenue???

Apologies for the thread recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

malahide community school has 6 courts or at least they did when i was there (3yrs ago) theres no gates or antin just go in and play

swords business campus has a court aswell and while you can just go in and play i assume its technically for for the business's in the campus to use so the security guards may ask you to leave but i doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian38HR

Anyone knows any open public courts in our area?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

There is still a court up around gardnier street upper.. Thats the only one i know on the north side. There is a half court in nutgrove on the south side. only new. has a full three point line.. but thats pretty much it.. havent used it yet. just looked in on it.

nialo wrote:
    There is still a court up around gardnier street upper.. Thats the only one i know on the north side. There is a half court in nutgrove on the south side. only new. has a full three point line.. but thats pretty much it.. havent used it yet. just looked in on it.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to walk to it from where I am (Haddington Rd).

nialo wrote:

Anyone knows where is Nutgrove?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kingers

just bringing this one to life again - any courts on the southside besides the halfcourt in Nutgrove? Where is the one in Nutgrove anyway?

Seems mad with over a million people and barely a single court in the city....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Looking for the same myself

Are there decent outdoor courts in any of the schools - hopefully with nets also

My brother's been going into Gardiner street lately. There's a pair of decent rings down there. I know there's a ring in Bushy park, but it's shockin, wouldn't recommend it.

There's also a public run on a Tuesday evening (all welcome) up in the arena in Tallaght.

It started tonight and there seemed to be a decent crowd up there when I was up earlier.

http://www.basketballireland.ie/arena/news/story.jsp?newsID=2943

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Played last weekend outdoors on a fairly decent court in glenagery.

Rings were excellent and was still able to dunk after 5-6years not playing. Happened to bump into a polish lad (plays for a polish team in ireland).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Glenageary,+Dun+Laoghaire,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,53.278800,-6.126293&ll=53.274542,-6.132023&spn=0.005748,0.013218&t=h&z=16

Its to the left of hill court park and can be seen from glenageary lodge road

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Farotz

Hello everybody,
    does anyone knows if there are INDOOR basketball courts were you can go to play from time to time without the need of joning an official team?

Thank you, Paolo

• Advertisement

Try contacting these guys

It's not exactly pickup.. but it's far more relaxed than the dublin mens league.

http://www.dublinindoorsports.ie/basketballhome.php

Thank very much for your tip, Phil,
    but could u tell me someth about the Basketball Men League? Is that the association of the official teams or is someth similar to the group (slf organised people) u have advised me, but just with men?
    Because, u know, I ve been paying basketball in an official team for over ten years and now i d like someth informal, sure, but i would like if possible play with men, in a bit more competitive way. Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Cheers Phil

Looks like that could be exactly what I need to ease my way back in.

It's informal... at this stage, you may struggle to find teams to play with as the season has started, but all club contact details are on www.dmbb.net

Dublin Mens Basketball league is a proper "organised" league whereas dublin indoor sports wouldn't be what I would call organised basketball, but fun nevertheless I'm sure.

Also, do let us know how you got on .... it seems to be the most common question on this board for newcomers and it may help future people looking for the same things you are! Even if it's not positive, it may stop someone else wasting their time! :)

Hi, I have finally moved to Dublin.
    I have tried to follow your advise: I have contacted some teams through http://www.dmbb.net/homepage.aspx

I have been very kind, but the championship is in its final stage so new applications will be considered from the second half of May.
    I live in Artane, Dublin 5.
    Is there anybody available for pick up in this area or anyway in North Dublin?
    Do you know any court in the area were there is a chance to play with somebody?
    Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Farotz wrote: »
    Hi, I have finally moved to Dublin.
    I have tried to follow your advise: I have contacted some teams through http://www.dmbb.net/homepage.aspx

I have been very kind, but the championship is in its final stage so new applications will be considered from the second half of May.
    I live in Artane, Dublin 5.
    Is there anybody available for pick up in this area or anyway in North Dublin?
    Do you know any court in the area were there is a chance to play with somebody?
    Ciao

Hi,

I play and coach for Tolka were situated on Griffth Ave extension, (north city centre 19,19a go close to it) the park is called Frank Cooke Park a few minutes drive from artane but we have a few members from out that way. We have an open session that will run all summer long on tuesday evenings from 8.30 on ye are more than welcome, as the summer goes on a thursday session is generally added too. This will continue until after the summer where then trials for teams of varing levels begin ahead of the season.

Please feel free to contact me or just drop in im there every tuesday just ask for Ren.

Thank you Xrox, I ve recently moved to Fairview. I have taken cycling to Mountjoy Square where I easily find people to play with, especially during the weekends.
    I ve checked the Tolka Sport Club on Google Maps, and it seems to be reasonably close to my place. I could pop up there on Tuesday night, it that ok?
    Ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Farotz wrote: »
    Thank you Xrox, I ve recently moved to Fairview. I have taken cycling to Mountjoy Square where I easily find people to play with, especially during the weekends.
    I ve checked the Tolka Sport Club on Google Maps, and it seems to be reasonably close to my place. I could pop up there on Tuesday night, it that ok?
    Ciao

Yes that is fine im guessing your italian youll fit in well as we have a strong foreign base of players ill be down there from about 8.20. Fairview is very close to tolka so come along and if you know anyone else interested in playing tell them to come along, as this is only or second week back playing after the post season break so well only have about ten down perfect time for new players to join as not too many strange faces to try and get to know at once.

Ren

• Registered Users Posts: 2 frommars

I was living in Fairview and used to play on the court in Fairview park. Perfectly fine and there were usually a few friendly faces around and up for a game.

I've moved to Haddington Road and found the handiest courts are in Ringsend park. It's about fifteen minutes walk but it's a great court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 N-line

Well the only good basketball court i know is Montjoy square, in d1, i think it's the only place in dublin where you can play proper basketball outside, all kind of people come there, mostly at weekends.

Advertisement