Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic Conversion Timber Framed House

Options
  • 24-11-2020 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Anyone get theirs done recently?

Not looking for actual structural advice (will be getting designed up properly by a structural engineer). The query I have is over the method of strengthening the Roof Trusses with Steel (or other).

I’m getting conflicting advice here with what strengthening works are required to the party wall and how the steel beams are supported here to allow the conversion take place.

An attic conversion company we had out reckon they can support the steel beams off the party wall as it is. Engineer advice is to open up stud walls down to the foundation and put in posts to transfer the loads.

As I mentioned, will be getting this designed up properly, but has anyone had their attic converted in a timber framed house without ripping walls open below to install posts?

Keen to see what options are out there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had a friend looking into this a few years back. He got the same advice from engineer. Needs to be supported from ground up. Based on that he went with a garden Room instead to get additional space.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

listermint wrote: »
    Had a friend looking into this a few years back. He got the same advice from engineer. Needs to be supported from ground up. Based on that he went with a garden Room instead to get additional space.

Thanks for that. That’s the fear I have. I’m dubious about the attic conversion company’s advice. Doesn’t sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Had mine done and opened up stud walls from ground and installed extra timber supports up to support steels. Engineer done up drawing etc and signed off on install.
    Using existing walls could be fine but could be an major issue if you try sell at a later date as no one would sign it off.

meath4sam wrote: »
    Had mine done and opened up stud walls from ground and installed extra timber supports up to support steels. Engineer done up drawing etc and signed off on install.
    Using existing walls could be fine but could be an major issue if you try sell at a later date as no one would sign it off.

Thanks for that. Looks to be the only logical way to do this right. You’d have to wonder how these conversion companies are getting away with it!

Max Moment wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Looks to be the only logical way to do this right. You’d have to wonder how these conversion companies are getting away with it!

I got 3 quotes prior to consulting engineer. 1 was no problem I will do it. 2 was 50/50 had concerns and 3rd said no way would he touch it without engineer involved.

• Advertisement

I got 3 quotes prior to consulting engineer. 1 was no problem I will do it. 2 was 50/50 had concerns and 3rd said no way would he touch it without engineer involved.

Were your internal walls butchered to install the posts? Fear is they’d never look the same after and the disruption to the house doing this work.

Bigger concern if the attic and Roof weren’t sound though if conversion not completed right though!

Were your internal walls butchered to install the posts? Fear is they’d never look the same after and the disruption to the house doing this work.

Bigger concern if the attic and Roof weren’t sound though if conversion not completed right though!

Walls look grand now you wouldn’t even find them if you looked, but I allowed to get the whole house painted internal after conversion.

I use it for a bedroom and play room. Not a official bedroom by guidelines but due to someone could be sleeping in there roof had to be sound.

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Stud walls are easy to repair, even a DIYer can do it. You will not be able to see any repairs, it will be completely smooth. We actually cut a hole in our ceiling a few weeks ago to fix a leaking shower on the floor above, because fixing a plasterboard ceiling is easier than fixing a tiled bathroom. You would not be able to find where the hole was if you spent half an hour up close and looking and feeling the ceiling.

Obviously you should expect to paint the walls again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds like #3 is the best option

Advertisement