Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Epatante vs Goshen fighting fifth

Options
  • 23-11-2020 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Looks like an exciting clash.

then you realise Moore will probably pull him, they dont want their bubble to be burst in november.

Better off keeping away from epatante till chelters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

aaannnd Goshen is out

cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Goshen coming to Leopardstown maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Starting to feel like PP all over again. No way they're being candid.

i actually think sceau royale will serve it right up to epatante

akelly02 wrote: »
    i actually think sceau royale will serve it right up to epatante

Going great guns at the moment.
    Its his time of year.
    Lovely horse

• Advertisement

Going great guns at the moment.
    Its his time of year.
    Lovely horse

credit to connections

and has his ground ( at the moment )

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Pat Kelly would do a better job on Goshen than Moore is doing atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Coneygree wrote: »
    Pat Kelly would do a better job on Goshen than Moore is doing atm.
    Very harsh. Horse is Moore's stable star, he going to absolutely keep it wrapped up in cotton wool until he thinks it's ready.

think hes over hyped anyway .

but time will tell .

Very harsh. Horse is Moore's stable star, he going to absolutely keep it wrapped up in cotton wool until he thinks it's ready.

Wouldn't have had him on the flat twice if he felt like that tbh, made a complete bollocks of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Might as well wait until March to get lapped in a top two mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

lemush wrote: »

You are either seriously over estimating last years Champion or severely under estimating what Goshen produced in the Triumph.

It is very difficult to compare both races as they were run on different courses and different underfoot conditions but all times would suggest that Goshen was producing a wordly performance - to give it some context Saint Roi won the County Hurdle on the same card, at the last flight Goshen was 12 lengths ahead of Saint Roi when you run the races side by side. Considering Saint Roi was give an official rating of 151 for his run, that conservatively puts Goshen in the low 160 range and all that as a 3 year old. The BHA gave him a rating of 156 which is fair enough considering he actually fell. Our Connor was rated 161 after his triumph, so pretty bang on where I have Goshen.

Was Our Connor lapped in top 2 mile company?

Obviously load of question marks over both horse and trainer but to suggest, no matter how tongue in cheek, that he would be lapped is just silly. He is the same price as Saint Roi which makes little or no sense, and if that 8/1 ever becomes NRNB its an absolute steal.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You are either seriously over estimating last years Champion or severely under estimating what Goshen produced in the Triumph.

It is very difficult to compare both races as they were run on different courses and different underfoot conditions but all times would suggest that Goshen was producing a wordly performance - to give it some context Saint Roi won the County Hurdle on the same card, at the last flight Goshen was 12 lengths ahead of Saint Roi when you run the races side by side. Considering Saint Roi was give an official rating of 151 for his run, that conservatively puts Goshen in the low 160 range and all that as a 3 year old. The BHA gave him a rating of 156 which is fair enough considering he actually fell. Our Connor was rated 161 after his triumph, so pretty bang on where I have Goshen.

Obviously load of question marks over both horse and trainer but to suggest, no matter how tongue in cheek, that he would be lapped is just silly. He is the same price as Saint Roi which makes little or no sense, and if that 8/1 ever becomes NRNB its an absolute steal.

i honestly think you can look into times etc too much. i think goshen is overrated , and that cant be proved right or wrong until he runs

akelly02 wrote: »
    i honestly think you can look into times etc too much. i think goshen is overrated , and that cant be proved right or wrong until he runs

Agreed of course and they are a far more reliable tool in flat racing in general. However it is also a useful tool when used correctly and when the conditions are comparable which they are in this case. The sectionals when comparing the two are jaw dropping to be honest. From the back of the first hurdle to the third hurdle (comparing times before they reach the first hurdle is futile)are almost identical - Goshen .3sec faster, but from that point on he is pulling two to three lengths clear between each hurdle and it was a steady increase as opposed to a short burst, which makes it all the more impressive.

As I admitted loads and loads of questions to be answered but thrashing or downplaying the Triumph form is non-sensical. Aspire Tower was 14 lengths behind Goshen at the last and is now rated 152 after beating Abacadabras by 4 1/2 lengths and All man kind is now rated 148 after being 15 lengths behind at the last.

All evidence suggest that Goshen ran to a mark of 160-162 as a 3 year old, he has 7-9lbs to find with last years winner, perfectly normal progression for a 4 year old to be expected to make. The last Triumph winner to win the Champion in the following season was Katchit, who was rated 159 after he won the Triumph.

Goshen is some yoke but I still have huge doubts over his jumping, even though he was fine in the Triumph, the last being a fluke mistake. He's also been messed around with going on the flat twice. If they thought he was a proper CH horse they'd surely have kept him fresh and clean until now. If he wins in March, fair play, I'll eat humble pie but I can't see it this year at least.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Goshen is some yoke but I still have huge doubts over his jumping, even though he was fine in the Triumph, the last being a fluke mistake. He's also been messed around with going on the flat twice. If they thought he was a proper CH horse they'd surely have kept him fresh and clean until now. If he wins in March, fair play, I'll eat humble pie but I can't see it this year at least.

That is a massive concern, not that they ran him on the flat, again Our Conor ran on the flat after his Triumph win, but the fact that I have zero faith in Gary Moore. I am more worried about the two withdrawals than the flat nonsense.

What price would he be if he was trained by Henderson/Mullins?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Time will tell.He won't be the first cousin of a top two miler.

Time will tell.He won't be the first cousin of a top two miler.

You have certainly convinced me with your well thought out analysis.

Paddy have a 4/1 special now for the weekend
    Envoi Epatante Honeysuckle
    €20 max bet
    Buying money

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

where is that special I can't see it on site?

• Advertisement

where is that special I can't see it on site?

Seems to be gone now, I got it at 5/1 yesterday morning, I suspect they had a little too much interest in it!

Seems to be gone now, I got it at 5/1 yesterday morning, I suspect they had a little too much interest in it!

Got it too. Must be gone!!
    Max stake of 20 brutal tho

Advertisement