Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refereeing standards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

They won't blow the whistle on themselves, but they know if they miss the opportunity to level a game or they put a big team out in a close call where they could have let it run for an equaliser (for maybe even 7 or 8 minutes + which has happened) they might not get the whistle again. The dogs on the street know it.

Well the conspiracy forum is over there unless you have any proof to be honest. You are essentially saying that referees, who are not paid, fix matches on a systemic level consistently, with not one person ever breaking rank to say so. You can barely go for dinner in this country without someone tweeting your guilt, so nah, sorry, don't buy the tin foil hat stuff. Just one example of a jilted ref saying "I didn't get x match because I didn't play extra time" would do.

So referees apparently fix matches for big teams, while also adhering to their own county historical biases. So some crooked referee from Leitrim does all the matches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Semi Final Champions

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Well the conspiracy forum is over there unless you have any proof to be honest. You are essentially saying that referees, who are not paid, fix matches on a systemic level consistently, with not one person ever breaking rank to say so. You can barely go for dinner in this country without someone tweeting your guilt, so nah, sorry, don't buy the tin foil hat stuff. Just one example of a jilted ref saying "I didn't get x match because I didn't play extra time" would do.

So referees apparently fix matches for big teams, while also adhering to their own county historical biases. So some crooked referee from Leitrim does all the matches.

I never said it happens consistently or systematically but if you ever played the game or followed it closely you'd know it happens

I never said it happens consistently or systematically but if you ever played the game or followed it closely you'd know it happens

You said "This is why very often big teams with big followings get the big calls". I think that implies a regularity.

So no evidence, grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

crossman47 wrote: »
    In all honesty, the main problem is the tackle. There is a rule but refs leave a lot go. If they blew for every foul, they would whistle all day. Define the tackle more clearly as only playing the ball or a fair shoulder. Fellows are getting punched around the chest and stomach and not getting a free.
    Tackle in gaelic is a major issue. Not the main one but just a part of the problem.
    The rule isnt near good enough for refs to manage games or players to play. It needs to be rewritten from scratch.
    The game mentioned from 10 years ago was mentioned to show that nothing of note has actually changed. Refereeing is still putrid imo.
    The referee and linesman in the Cavan v Down game last Sunday didn’t seem to know the rule on the Mark.
    So how do you change things. Its far from referees fault. Theyre not helped by clubs, county boards/GAA as a whole any where near enough
    A referee knowing the rules and being fair to both teams ie if he gives advantage to one team then he does the same to the other. Both teams being treated the same way, neither can complain. Unlike last Sunday’s game.

You a referee yourself?
    Not a GAA ref. Advantage cant always be the same. The rule isnt good enough either.
    Unfortunately the Top of the GAA want refs to be able to draw matches when big crowds are involved for financial reasons obviously. This is why very often big teams with big followings get the big calls either to keep them in it or to progress and keep the money rolling in to the coffers. Video refs would'nt help this and could cost the GAA. Its all for the greater good im sure.
    That isnt near true. Video refs is only talking about the very top refs and the top level teams/games. The issue this thread ultimately is about is about how refs are trained/coached/treated from when they start reffing and doing games at u12/14 level and their rise to the top of the game. as there's major faults with whole system

You said "This is why very often big teams with big followings get the big calls". I think that implies a regularity.

So no evidence, grand.

Just experience.

• Advertisement

Just experience.
    Any specific examples of games where this supposedly has happened?

Any specific examples of games where this supposedly has happened?

In fairness, I can't go there but I'm amazed you've had such great positive experiences over such period of time

And that's why any conversation around refereeing never leads to anything. Fans, players, and supporters are far too blinded by their own perception to offer meaty and constructive criticism to raise the game as a whole.

Refereeing can be improved, in my opinion, by :

Micing the ref as per rugby so that the open displays of dissent would disappear over night.

Retroactively severely punishing, as in several months ban, for anyone found guilty of simulation, or using slight contact to exaggerate injury to have a player punished

Raising the regularity of fitness assessments, and laws of the game assessments to every 2 months for all referees at the top level.

I may be wrong but I believe umpires for gaa are just guys the referee knows? Yeah get rid of that if that's true.

Revise the laws for the tackle, with expert panel of coaches, players, administrators and referees all clearly defining with examples available on some sort of app.

And that's why any conversation around refereeing never leads to anything. Fans, players, and supporters are far too blinded by their own perception to offer meaty and constructive criticism to raise the game as a whole.

Refereeing can be improved, in my opinion, by :

Micing the ref as per rugby so that the open displays of dissent would disappear over night.

Retroactively severely punishing, as in several months ban, for anyone found guilty of simulation, or using slight contact to exaggerate injury to have a player punished

Raising the regularity of fitness assessments, and laws of the game assessments to every 2 months for all referees at the top level.

I may be wrong but I believe umpires for gaa are just guys the referee knows? Yeah get rid of that if that's true.

Revise the laws for the tackle, with expert panel of coaches, players, administrators and referees all clearly defining with examples available on some sort of app.
    You dont need to have fitness assessments or rules assessments as often as that. There should simply be meetings with all refs in countys/divisions(depending on number of refs in a county division and size of county) on monthly or more regular basis than that led by referee staff who are full time staff appointed by croke park with refs at the higher levels or anticipated to be at higher levels soon attending more meetings thru the year.
    totally agree that umpires and who they are needs to change

The rules need to be changed to help refs and make it easier for them to manage games.

You dont need to have fitness assessments or rules assessments as often as that. There should simply be meetings with all refs in countys/divisions(depending on number of refs in a county division and size of county) on monthly or more regular basis than that led by referee staff who are full time staff appointed by croke park with refs at the higher levels or anticipated to be at higher levels soon attending more meetings thru the year.
    totally agree that umpires and who they are needs to change

The rules need to be changed to help refs and make it easier for them to manage games.

I can't comment on the top gaa lads, they look in great shape, and I'm sure they train together on a regional level at least, so one of the training sessions every once in a while could be given over to a fitness assessment.

The laws assessment should not be pen and paper, but clip analysis, spot what's wrong with positioning etc,what would you have done in this instance. So that it is assessment for learning rather than just "do you know the laws of the game",but is also giving a centralised answer to iffy calls for everyone to learn. Again, after a season these could be made public etc.

But I think we broadly agree on what is needed alright. Im a total casual when it comes to gaa refs and I think they do grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

There's a podcast called Tackling Sport and the two lads on it have interviewed both David Gough and David Coldrick in the last year. If you want to know what the county lads put in listen to one or both of them as they talk about the assessments and training etc.

Umpires are organised by the referee and are generally lads that they know from club or family. Some lads use ex referees too. The umpires do courses as well now.

I can't comment on the top gaa lads, they look in great shape, and I'm sure they train together on a regional level at least, so one of the training sessions every once in a while could be given over to a fitness assessment.

The laws assessment should not be pen and paper, but clip analysis, spot what's wrong with positioning etc,what would you have done in this instance. So that it is assessment for learning rather than just "do you know the laws of the game",but is also giving a centralised answer to iffy calls for everyone to learn. Again, after a season these could be made public etc.

But I think we broadly agree on what is needed alright. Im a total casual when it comes to gaa refs and I think they do grand.
    I dont think you need to be focusing on fitness assessments as much as tat.
    Saying rules assessment is wrong though. It should simply be a discussion and led by full time staff member who js experienced ref/former ref. Yes positioning etc. Thats whats done in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭flasher0030

That doesn't happen.
    I would be very confident in my assertion that a top GAA bigwig has never tried to influence a ref in how that ref was going to referee the forthcoming game. At least in modern times anyway - where social media has made freedom of speech so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,410 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All I want to see is that the referees =

1. Know the rules and play by them.
    2. Referee both teams the same way.

That should please everyone and give both teams a fair crack of the whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

No. 1 is impossible because the rule on the tackle is ignored by all.

when you say ref play by the rules do you want a very rigid approach where everything is exactly by the book or do you give refs leeway?
    crossman47 wrote: »
    No. 1 is impossible because the rule on the tackle is ignored by all.
    Which just shows the tackle rule isnt good enough and needs to be rewritten

I dont think you need to be focusing on fitness assessments as much as tat.
    Saying rules assessment is wrong though. It should simply be a discussion and led by full time staff member who js experienced ref/former ref. Yes positioning etc. Thats whats done in rugby.

I've been on panels with guys who bluff their way through discussions, hiding behind senior lads and only offering opinions when they're as obvious as day. An assessment gets lads off the fence. Could just be soccer though..

I've been on panels with guys who bluff their way through discussions, hiding behind senior lads and only offering opinions when they're as obvious as day. An assessment gets lads off the fence. Could just be soccer though..
    It doesnt need to be a physical assessment. If you have all refs attending regular meetings ran by the top officials/appointed ref development staff and then refs are regularly assessed when doing games and get feedback from the assessors who are experienced/retired refs

It doesnt need to be a physical assessment. If you have all refs attending regular meetings ran by the top officials/appointed ref development staff and then refs are regularly assessed when doing games and get feedback from the assessors who are experienced/retired refs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Refereeing was a disgrace again yesterday, Barry Cassidy done all he could to advantage Donegal. In the end it didn't matter but it could have been remembered for all the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

Refereeing was a disgrace again yesterday, Barry Cassidy done all he could to advantage Donegal. In the end it didn't matter but it could have been remembered for all the wrong reasons.

Deegan was poor in the Cork v Tipperary match too.

It will continue to be ignored though.

Just read through both of Sunday’s match threads again.
    Nothing but posts pointing out issues with the referees.
    The National Broadcaster failed to mention them, I wonder why?

Can’t see things changing anytime soon.

Did the national broadcaster praise the referee in the other matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deegan was poor in the Cork v Tipperary match too.

It will continue to be ignored though.

Especially when you have fellas like Dessie Dolan with the benefit of replays agreeing with the calls. It's like he's watching a different game at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Just read through both of Sunday’s match threads again.
    Nothing but posts pointing out issues with the referees.
    The National Broadcaster failed to mention them, I wonder why?

Can’t see things changing anytime soon.

Really incredible RTE neglected to mention it. Barry Cassidy was trending on twitter for a long time and that's not a good sign for a referee.

RTEs punditry has been appalling, you have the likes of Colm O'Rourke and Sean Cavanagh coming out with total ****e every week.

Really going to watch the refereeing today the reason being that I don’t rate Brannigan at all and can’t understand how he got an All Ireland semi-final.
    The referee should be from Munster or Connacht if the GAA were doing this right.
    He’s from Ulster yet the Cavan lads have no time for him.

That's great, can you keep a list of all the decisions you agree with from him, and then the ones you don't agree with.

All frees, cards, frees correctly not given etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

That's great, can you keep a list of all the decisions you agree with from him, and then the ones you don't agree with.

All frees, cards, frees correctly not given etc.

And then give Croke Park a shout to say they can help with the assessment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd love to see the assessment of Barry Cassdys performance in the Ulster final.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    I'd love to see the assessment of Barry Cassdys performance in the Ulster final.

Some of the boys above think there’s no problems with referees.
    Might just be in that game themselves,🤪

Advertisement