Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Racing Commentators

Options
  • 14-11-2020 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Come back Dessie, all is forgiven. Absolutely shocking bunch
    No enthusiasm, no excitement , no buzz
    Hannon had his roaring bull moment but must have bust his Larynx in the process as he is like LISTENING to paint dry since

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Richard Pugh is good when he’s on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think Jane Mangan is fantastic. She knows her breeding and is also very pleasing on the eye.

Fran Berry's accent is really soothing and he sounds like a nice bloke.

Anything beats Chamberlain on ITV, he winds me up bigtime, albeit he gets a pass as I read before that he beat cancer and that is tough going.

But Jane Mangan is a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think Jane Mangan is fantastic. She knows her breeding and is also very pleasing on the eye.

Fran Berry's accent is really soothing and he sounds like a nice bloke.

Anything beats Chamberlain on ITV, he winds me up bigtime, albeit he gets a pass as I read before that he beat cancer and that is tough going.

But Jane Mangan is a class act.

Commentators Moron..... Commentators!!!

Commentators Moron..... Commentators!!!

Ok I get it.

There is a guy in the UK for Sky Sports and I swear he puts the mockers on anything I back. Posh sounding dude, he used to work for Channel 4. I can't win a race if he is commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Ok I get it.

There is a guy in the UK for Sky Sports and I swear he puts the mockers on anything I back. Posh sounding dude, he used to work for Channel 4. I can't win a race if he is commentating.

mike cattermole possibly

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    mike cattermole possibly

No its not Cattermole, he is fine.

I will google the chunt now, I am sure he a nice bloke and all, he just puts the mockers on my horsies.

" Tommo "

Derek Thompson.

Seems a gent, but I can't buy a winner if he is calling them. It is painful.

Derek_ThompsonMain_0.jpg.jpeg?itok=QrFJDJme

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Gerry Hannon gone at the game after winning millions on Roaring Bull.

" Tommo "

Derek Thompson.

By all accounts, a thoroughbred cnut would u believe!

By all accounts, a thoroughbred cnut would u believe!

Ah Raj, they can't all be chunts?

Half of what you see and nothing that you hear.

• Advertisement

Ah Raj, they can't all be chunts?

Half of what you see and nothing that you hear.

Lydia Hislop (your fancy lady) hates him. She has shredded him on twitter a few times.

Lydia Hislop (your fancy lady) hates him. She has shredded him on twitter a few times.

Lydia is the Queen of UK horse racing, don't forget it Raj.

If Lydia says he is a bit of a bolleeex, who am I to argue?

The phucker probably put the mockers on her picks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Jane Mangan is brutal! Voice would grate on you. She is up there with Kate Harrington in the brutal stakes.

Gerry Hanson is a good commentator. Far better than anyone else on the roster.

I think Jane Mangan is great. Agreed on Harrington, she is not very articulate. Didn't she get caught acting the bollox in early summer there, she hadn't even watched a race?

But Mangan is great, no bother there.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

Kauto wrote: »
    Jane Mangan is brutal! Voice would grate on you. She is up there with Kate Harrington in the brutal stakes.

Gerry Hanson is a good commentator. Far better than anyone else on the roster.

You get everything backwards.

When you watch racing on itv the commentator is part of the snow. The hosts go to the commentator pre race for a little chat and it all flows and works.
    Irish racing then the host goes to Jerry Hannon, cue 20 seconds of silence as Jerry can't bother his bollix to say anything until the race starts. He is a dreadful commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

When you watch racing on itv the commentator is part of the snow. The hosts go to the commentator pre race for a little chat and it all flows and works.
    Irish racing then the host goes to Jerry Hannon, cue 20 seconds of silence as Jerry can't bother his bollix to say anything until the race starts. He is a dreadful commentator.

Could be a contractual issue. Jerry's contract is with the Association of Irish Racecourses, AFAIK, and and has nothing to do with the broadcaster. He provides a commentary for the racecourse. I think the ITV little chat is with it's own commentator, who is not the course commentator. A bit like when RTE cover racing, they use their own commentator e.g. Tony O'Hehir who often sounds as if he's going to fall asleep in the middle of the race.

curioser wrote: »
    Could be a contractual issue. Jerry's contract is with the Association of Irish Racecourses, AFAIK, and and has nothing to do with the broadcaster. He provides a commentary for the racecourse. I think the ITV little chat is with it's own commentator, who is not the course commentator. A bit like when RTE cover racing, they use their own commentator e.g. Tony O'Hehir who often sounds as if he's going to fall asleep in the middle of the race.

Makes sense. Fair point
    Tony O'Hehir must have something on Dee Forbes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭kksaints

Makes sense. Fair point
    Tony O'Hehir must have something on Dee Forbes

It's mostly Pugh now. Don't hear Tony that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

My pet peeve about Jerry Hannon is the total silence.

The starter raises the flag. Total silence.

The horses start to move in. Total silence.

Starter releases the tape. Total silence.

Horses start running. Total silence.

Horses have run about 10 metres. Jerry: "And the white flag is raised and they're off".

It's completely unprofessional when he should be mindful for betting/trading etc that people are waiting for him to give that key information for last second bets/trades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Hannon is a poor early and mid-race commentator who masks that by screaming like a clown at the end of a big race.

Justin O'Hanlon sounds like he's having a dump anytime he commentates; I know he's a portly gent and all but he can't even get his breathing right on the mic.

The Dude on ITV is great, Hoiles, picks good winners too, I am in profit from his Saturday picks.

Fuk it lads if Jerry Hannon ever rings my gaff heavy breathing I will know him straight away!!
    Disturbed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

" Tommo "

Derek Thompson.

That’s a great PHOTO! of Tommo...

Not a horse racing commentator, but Ian Fortune is unbeatable for greyhound racing commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

I like Ian Bartlett...nice voice and will mention jockeys colours as well as the horses names. He comes across as relaxed and totally on top of the brief

Advertisement