Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Test

• 04-11-2020 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Can you drive unaccompanied after passing your test with the certificate of competency until you get your license?

Cant seem to get a definitive answer to it online and next available slot in my local NDLS is 3rd Dec

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe your still under learner permit laws until you exchange to your full license

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Can you drive unaccompanied after passing your test with the certificate of competency until you get your license?

Cant seem to get a definitive answer to it online and next available slot in my local NDLS is 3rd Dec

Thanks

Unless its changed recently, it was acceptable to use the Cert of competency for driving, Your licence should be issued from that date and when you ring your insurance company they amend your policy from the date you pass the test, not the date your licence is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Thanks
    Test is today so if passed will ask assessor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You must be accompanied until you have your license.
    Certificate is not license to drive unaccompanied.
    If I have taken my driving test and passed can I drive unaccompanied while I’m waiting on my driving licence to be returned from NDLS?
    No, to drive unaccompanied you have to be in possession of your full driving licence.

https://passthetest.ie/the-driving-test/#faq

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect if a garda pulled you over and you had the cert, the guard is not going to push it.

• Advertisement

test passed but insurance not going to cover until the license is issued which clears that up

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hogan622

Can I ask a question? I failed my driving test today, and I accept the outcome and that’s all fine. I was asked to do my reverse around the corner with a hill up at each side. I failed because I rolled forward going up the first hill. I’m annoyed about the location but I honestly accept the outcome. It was my only mistake. One big grade 3. I was just wondering, does anyone no if there are any rules on where the tester can take you for this reverse? Seems unfair on a steep hill.

And this is probably the wrong thread for my post

Hogan622 wrote: »
    Can I ask a question? I failed my driving test today, and I accept the outcome and that’s all fine. I was asked to do my reverse around the corner with a hill up at each side. I failed because I rolled forward going up the first hill. I’m annoyed about the location but I honestly accept the outcome. It was my only mistake. One big grade 3. I was just wondering, does anyone no if there are any rules on where the tester can take you for this reverse? Seems unfair on a steep hill.

seems harsh, my son rolled back on his hill start and it was 1pt deduction on a grade 2 offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

test passed but insurance not going to cover until the license is issued which clears that up

Myth. While Insurance companies will tell you this, they still actively pay out for unaccompanied incidents and just in July a judge ruled that you cannot be convicted of driving without insurance because a party was driving unaccompanied.

If a road traffic offence allowed insurance companies a get out of jail card then they would be paying out on a very small portion of claims.

• Advertisement

seems harsh, my son rolled back on his hill start and it was 1pt deduction on a grade 2 offence

Thank you for your reply. I felt it was harsh too. My instructor told me he was shocked by the location picked for the corner. It really throw me to be honest. I thought I’d be less annoyed about it today but I think I’m more annoyed 🙈 anyway, I’ve reapplied. My instructor literally told me to go home and reapply again. I’ll practice my reverse on hills now. I just thought at least the starting side would be in a flat. I have sent a note to the RSA about it because I really felt the location was too harsh! It will probably be brushed off. But it made me feel a little better 😊 I know I can pass next time 🀞🀞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Hogan622 wrote: »

Just a word of warning I have heard that some testers will stop grading the test once you have had a grade 3 so don't always assume that you would passed had you not had a grade 3. Doing the reverse around the corner on a steep hill does harsh alright. Better luck next time hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fionnr01

My partner has his test this week. Do they still ask rules of the road questions at the start of tests now? Its years since i did mine and they did then,he thinks not coz hes done a theory test? Also anything else you need to be aware of for an automatic?

fionnr01 wrote: »
    My partner has his test this week. Do they still ask rules of the road questions at the start of tests now? Its years since i did mine and they did then,he thinks not coz hes done a theory test? Also anything else you need to be aware of for an automatic?

I believe so, probably road signs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

GT89 wrote: »
    Just a word of warning I have heard that some testers will stop grading the test once you have had a grade 3 so don't always assume that you would passed had you not had a grade 3. Doing the reverse around the corner on a steep hill does harsh alright. Better luck next time hopefully.

Likely that this isn't the case. Supervisors get see the counterfoils of the test marking forms and will easily spot any such patterns, which would be akin to idling on the job. Besides, there are plenty of people who fail their test with more than one Grade 3 fault on the day, or indeed a build up of numerous Grade 2 faults along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

I was told by someone who recently passed the tester specifically said to them afterwards the cant drive unaccompabied until they swap in their learner permit and cert of competancy for a full license. I know the tester isn't setting the law but you'd hope they have beem told correctly.

i think the answer is no you cant alone but in reality no guard is going to haul you in to court as you are still waiting on an appointment at the NDLS centre

Advertisement