Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 NFL season - Week 9 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,498 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

28-0 now and still 8.45 left in the second.
    Brady to this point is 4 of 12 for 27 yards and 1 int.

Brees 15 of 18 for 154 yards and 3 TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I thinnk it safe to say this game over now, Buccs had a couple of chances to close the gap and blew both

Interesting throw from Brady for the interception there, very clever and very unselfish. 4th and 7, no one open so he threw a mini-hail mary. If caught a first down, if intercepted they gain a little field position. At least i think that is what happened. They not even bothering with replays at this point it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Brady getting swamped here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

38 passes and 4 rushes from Tampa Bay, ridiculous lack of fight as well

Bucs were lucky not to be beaten by the Giants last week. Daniel Jones making stupid decisions saved them.
    I'm not sure they're all that.

• Advertisement

NFL records; least amount of rushing attempts in a game 5, including a knee to end the game, by Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8th November 2020 Vs New Orleans Saints.

Longest streak by a player without being swept in a season by a divisional opponent, Tom Brady 2000-2019, broken 8th November 2020 with second loss to new Orleans Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kev8360

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay I’m off but one last post about the catch rule. I’m sure I’m like many here who have read the nfl rule book, and at times I feel like I’m reading a legal document and not the rules of a sport. It’s written is such an overly complicated way that it loses something. I had a real life realisation of how overly complicated the rule is a few years ago when I was asked what a catch was by a newish nfl fan and apparently as a nearly two decades fan of the NFL it was assumed I’d know the rule, but I struggled to explain it in a way anyone would understand. It’s the catch rule not the third secret of Fatima lads.

Every sport has a rule that has some stupid amount of details - the Offside and Handball rules in football have also gone beyond a joke , now no-one can explain either in plain english.

The catch rule is frustrating I agree for such a key part of the game and it does make it hard for new fans to understand what's going on. At least the US TV networks have made a better effort in recent years hiring on ex-refs to explain decisions that review looks at.

I don't like the rule but it's pretty clear. I knew once I'd seen a replay that it wasn't a catch.
    The issue I'd have is how it can be clearly seen at normal speed.
    I looked at it in normal speed a couple of times and there's no way I could be certain about it.
    In slow motion you can clearly see he loses control of it. As far as I'm aware all replays viewed by officials are done at game speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

eagle eye wrote: »
    It's amazing how much Michael Thomas means to the Saints Offense. There's always somebody open when he's in, it makes it so easy for Brees.

The difference he made was unreal. It looked like vintage Brees last night. Made such a difference.

NFL records; least amount of rushing attempts in a game 5, including a knee to end the game, by Tampa Bay Buccaneers 8th November 2020 Vs New Orleans Saints.

Longest streak by a player without being swept in a season by a divisional opponent, Tom Brady 2000-2019, broken 8th November 2020 with second loss to new Orleans Saints.

I read the second record without "divisional first and I was all, "That's impressive" but then his divisional opponents for those years were mostly trash so it's less impressive.

The rushing attempts last night were even just 2 towards the end until Holl decided to go for a couple. Madness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Why are the Chicago Bears always so crap?? Even when they are winning they are always defensive and dull. They are one of the oldest teams in nfl but must be least successful with only 1 SB. I used to support them when I started watching in the early 90s but had to switch to the Green Bay Packers in the 00’s. Because the Bears are so crap.

Imagine switching allegiance to your teams' biggest rival after a decade of 'support'. :o

The Packers' achievements aren't much to write home about either. They've had elite QB play for 30 years straight and all they have to show for it is 2 Superbowls.

As for your 'defensive and dull' comment

giphy.gif

Defensive football rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I mean, Rodgers is good but he's no Trubisky after the 2 minute warning.

Why are the Chicago Bears always so crap?? Even when they are winning they are always defensive and dull. They are one of the oldest teams in nfl but must be least successful with only 1 SB. I used to support them when I started watching in the early 90s but had to switch to the Green Bay Packers in the 00’s. Because the Bears are so crap.
    When did the Chicago Bears have very good QB?
    I'm a long time watching football and there's only three half decent QBs I remember with the Bears, those being Jim McMahon, Jim Harbaugh and Jay Cutler and I wouldn't call any of the three of them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

When did the Chicago Bears have very good QB?
    I'm a long time watching football and there's only three half decent QBs I remember with the Bears, those being Jim McMahon, Jim Harbaugh and Jay Cutler and I wouldn't call any of the three of them very good.

The letter J seems to play an important role in being a half way successful QB in Chicago, so I'm officially on board with tanking for Justin Fields.

No flags allowed against the Patriots, that's an NFL rule, them and the Packers.

No flags allowed against the Patriots, that's an NFL rule, them and the Packers.

What happened? Didn't see the start.

Edit: rewound. PI call on JC Jackson???

Jets kicked a field goal, but were 3rd & 5 and Flacco threw in the end zone, the defender arrived early, and made a load of contact, but the official didn't call it, and the commentary team more or less ignored it.

Jets kicked a field goal, but were 3rd & 5 and Flacco threw in the end zone, the defender arrived early, and made a load of contact, but the official didn't call it, and the commentary team more or less ignored it.

Bang on there. Just saw it. Yeah, glossed over a wee bit alright. Commentary did say "might have gotten away with one there".

Edit: rewound. PI call on JC Jackson???

Thought it was, he was beaten and looked like it

Well JC got found out there by Breshad Perriman.

That incident you guys were talking was very minor. Seen something similar the other night not called.

• Advertisement

Well JC got found out there by Breshad Perriman.

That incident you guys were talking was very minor. Seen something similar the other night not called.

You're correct on both counts tbf.

Where was this flacco last season for us?

Unreal, 4th and 1 from the shotgun. Way to help out the opposing D.

Where was this flacco last season for us?

He rarely turns up, watch this drive for the pick six. :D

He rarely turns up, watch this drive for the pick six. :D

Ha ha ha ☺️

Touchdown Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a throw and catch.

Patriots getting no help from their defence, but if they lose they will blame Newton, easy scapegoat. Good game so far.

Ha ha ha ☺️

Not a pick six, but an overthrown interception, bad timing as well, jets could have done with running the clock.

It's looking like a loss to the Jets here. That's as bad as it gets.
    Looking like our worst season since 1992.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Better game than expected and possibly an entertaining finish coming up.

Advertisement