Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2020 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Jeez, the Scott Foster to Chris Paul comments before Game 7....did that happen? I didn't hear or read anything about it at the time. If it did, he's scumbag. He shouldn't be reffing anyway IMO for the closeness to Donaghy and the perception of that, but if he genuinely said that he should be out of the league.

I would totally believe it, obviously there is a lot of hearsay and such but in my opinion, the league became such a juggernaut over the years, nobody really wanted to rock the boat and damage the brand too much, everyone loses money
    The likes of Joey Crawford and such, Jesus he should of been nowhere near professional sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Westbrook and Wall traded.

There really was no other trade option.

In other news, I watched the Luca and KD press interviews. KD looks a lot older, and Luca has clearly been enjoying himself at the food table again.

Also saw a video of John Wall and Harden and other NBA players playing pick-up together in the last 2 weeks. Wall looked good to be fair - although he was definitely carrying timber, but I wonder if that's where the trade came from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Westbrook and Wall traded.

There really was no other trade option.

Be interesting to see how Westbrook does with Beal. Could either be brilliant or a disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

Always remember that video of Derrick Rose being told he was being traded and when he asks where and BJ Armstrong says the Knicks he just bursts into tears

Corvo wrote: »
    Always remember that video of Derrick Rose being told he was being traded and when he asks where and BJ Armstrong says the Knicks he just bursts into tears

Tears of joy.....:pac:

I remember feeling so sorry for him when I saw that. He was clearly very upset. Having worked so hard to get back to the level he did (a shadow of himself pre-injuries but still a decent NBA player) you could tell he was crushed by it.

I know the Wall-Westbrook trade is bad all round, but I do think it's a lot worse for Houston than Washington. Westbrook is significantly better than Wall, and that's before you account for the fact that Wall hasn't played an NBA game in almost 2 years, the injury profile, the Achilles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement

I'd still take Westbrook over Wall.

I think Iam getting some flashbacks over some John wall discussions from a few years back, was intense stuff.
    He wasn’t bad, bad contract yes and all that but could of been a lot better for sure if he landed in a different place.
    2 years out now also...I think he is going the derick Rose route minus the peak

• Registered Users Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The trade doesn't really do anything, Houston are still a low seed playoff team with this roster and Washington might get the 7 or 8 seed with Westbrook but it's not nearly enough to make Beal feel like he's going anywhere with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,093 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It’s best of a bad situation stuff on both sides.

Anthony Davis signed a 5 year deal today and LeBron got a 2 year extension. The Klay injury really has kind of taken away a bit of the excitement of the new nba season, would love to have seen Klay healthy and this warriors team Vs the Lakers

I think it's unwise to assume the Lakers will have it all their own way. They're pretty much set for the next two years now but we've yet to see how the new mix will gel. They've lost a lot of defense so they are a different team for this year imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think it's unwise to assume the Lakers will have it all their own way. They're pretty much set for the next two years now but we've yet to see how the new mix will gel. They've lost a lot of defense so they are a different team for this year imo.

I really wish but I just get the feeling they will cruise to another title. I think Davis will improve also, o really really like Schroder, he will be excellent.
    And Marc Gasol, obviously we can talk about age etc but Jesus, he is exceptional, used right and he will be fantastic.
    Kuzma should also improve but at the end of the day, Davis and LeBron is pretty god damn solid

I really wish but I just get the feeling they will cruise to another title. I think Davis will improve also, o really really like Schroder, he will be excellent.
    And Marc Gasol, obviously we can talk about age etc but Jesus, he is exceptional, used right and he will be fantastic.
    Kuzma should also improve but at the end of the day, Davis and LeBron is pretty god damn solid

As a Celtics fan it kills me to say this but I can’t see them not winning it all bar injury. For all the sh*t Palinka took in the last few years he has done an exceptional job in recruiting. Granted LeBron fell into his lap but the other moves have paid dividends, even if they’ve overpaid in some scenarios.

Well lads, remember the previous off season (feels a million year’s ago now) after the Lakers didn’t get Kawhi and there was a sense that they hadn’t done enough and it wouldn’t work. I didn’t personally buy that negativity then and I don’t buy the positivity now.

People are somewhat blinded to them being the champs now just like they were blinded to them not winning the Kawhi race before the last season.

Bradley, Rondo, Green, Howard and McGee is a lot of defense a lot of locker room presence and a lot of strong playoff experience out the door. It’s a lot of change and I think we need to see it a bit first.

Well lads, remember the previous off season (feels a million year’s ago now) after the Lakers didn’t get Kawhi and there was a sense that they hadn’t done enough and it wouldn’t work. I didn’t personally buy that negativity then and I don’t buy the positivity now.

People are somewhat blinded to them being the champs now just like they were blinded to them not winning the Kawhi race before the last season.

Bradley, Rondo, Green, Howard and McGee is a lot of defense a lot of locker room presence and a lot of strong playoff experience out the door. It’s a lot of change and I think we need to see it a bit first.

The Clippers definitely need a PG, I think not getting CP3 was a mistake they still could get a good point guard but they need a couple of more pieces.

Brooklyn is an unknown at the moment as are the new version of the warriors so I don't really see where the challenge will come from?...

Your right about those players they lost in FA though...I thought apart from Bradley in the playoffs all those guys contributed but I think the Lakers can get away with it when they have LeBron and AD...KCP is very important for them too

Sure, all valid points; but ultimately their 2 best players are Top 10 guys, arguably Top 5, one of whom is a perennial DPOY candidate. I know they’ve lost players, but I actually think they’re stronger now with the acquisitions they’ve made, and equally, I don’t think any of the contenders have done that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

jk23 wrote: »
    The Clippers definitely need a PG

They already have one :pac:

kmart6 wrote: »
    They already have one :pac:

Haha that's true!! He needs to step up in the playoffs though as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,508 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

James Harden fails to report for Rockets training, says he'll be back in time for a personal session, then fails to report for that, all while footage of him hanging out in Vegas is all over the internet. Houston are in some mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Corvo

James Harden fails to report for Rockets training, says he'll be back in time for a personal session, then fails to report for that, all while footage of him hanging out in Vegas is all over the internet. Houston are in some mess.

He'll surely be traded soon and due to Fertitta's refusal to trade with Philly, he'll probably get his wish of going to Brooklyn.

What Houston get in return is anyones guess. I imagine it will end up as a three team trade.

Don't blame Harden. Going back to Houston a waste of his remaining peak. Player power all the way, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Slinky94

Corvo wrote: »
    He'll surely be traded soon and due to Fertitta's refusal to trade with Philly, he'll probably get his wish of going to Brooklyn.

What Houston get in return is anyones guess. I imagine it will end up as a three team trade.

Maybe the Nets will give up the players to make the trade work but giving up draft picks is just crazy these days. If things don't work out with Harden and Irving and Durant what stops them leaving in a year or two? Then Brooklyn's picks could be high and go straight to Houston. Very short sighted by Brooklyn. Seems like they forgot what happened the last time they traded for players and gave up draft picks. Wouldn't like to be the other two players on Brooklyn's starting 5. Not getting a chance to shoot but do all the other muck work. Maybe it's worth it if they win a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Don't see how brooklyn win with that trio tbh Irving and harden will be a terrible fit

Don't blame Harden. Going back to Houston a waste of his remaining peak. Player power all the way, love it.

Ah come on now, Houston is in a mess largely BECAUSE of Harden and the way that team was constructed - with his blessing and input! And he's completely taking the p*ss here. He's going to leave them f*cked for years, perhaps decades, and he's more than partly to blame for that. He's not exactly being honourable here, and he's being paid life-changing money annually. He's being a complete d*ck and you know it. Not being completely happy isn't a reason not to turn up to work.

I'm not a Houston fan but imagine if you were?

And that's all before we talk about the non-mask wearing stuff.

Also, why would you want your team trading for him knowing he could pull this sh*t again in a year if he wants out?

Ah come on now, Houston is in a mess largely BECAUSE of Harden and the way that team was constructed - with his blessing and input! And he's completely taking the p*ss here. He's going to leave them f*cked for years, perhaps decades, and he's more than partly to blame for that. He's not exactly being honourable here, and he's being paid life-changing money annually. He's being a complete d*ck and you know it. Not being completely happy isn't a reason not to turn up to work.

He has played his heart out as part of an experiment that was good but not quite good enough. You can't win in the NBA on your own and the current roster is not good enough.

He's not obliged to waste the remainder of his peak and letting him go for a slew of picks could be the shortest route back to competitiveness for the franchise. This makes sense for everyone involved.
    I'm not a Houston fan but imagine if you were?

Harden not showing up and deciding to force a move didn't start any of this. They've slid from a strong position through a series of deals and the coach and GM moving on were a crystal clear indication of what was coming. Houston fans won't be in the least bit surprised at this imo.

Moreover, Houston fans should appreciate that they had a cut at it. They had their chances against the Warriors a couple of years ago. They were in the mix. But they're nowhere near it now.
    And that's all before we talk about the non-mask wearing stuff.

That's an entirely separate topic and irrelevant.
    Also, why would you want your team trading for him knowing he could pull this sh*t again in a year if he wants out?

Because you want to win and you understand and accept the reality of the modern NBA with player options and control. If Harden wants to team up with your existing star or stars you say 'yes please, may i have another.'

I see it come up often in this thread, people not accepting the realities of the modern NBA.

If you lack a star but can put a few plus players on the court together and get in the playoffs instead of constantly rebuilding, by all means do it. But expecting a single star to try and win on his own is madness. It's a waste of everyone's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He has played his heart out as part of an experiment that was good but not quite good enough. You can't win in the NBA on your own and the current roster is not good enough.

He's not obliged to waste the remainder of his peak and letting him go for a slew of picks could be the shortest route back to competitiveness for the franchise. This makes sense for everyone involved.
    I know I've not been that in tune with all things NBA in recent years, but hasn't he been partnered with Dwight Howard, then Chris Paul, then Russell Westbrook... and failed each time? What's the common denominator with those arrivals and failures? How you can claim he been on his own baffles me.

As Buttersuki pointed out - he's being paid a staggering amount of money to do a job, there's no reasonable excuse to effectively give 2 fingers to the people paying you.

Advertisement