Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a dedicated router for Virtual Desktop?

• 07-10-2020 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭

Most of the guides ive seen call for having this kind of setup:

network-connections.png

My Gaming PC connects via Wifi to the Main house router, and i would like my dedicated / spare ASUS router to connect via ethernet to the Gaming PC.

The problem is when i connect it to the PC via Ethernet and use "Access Point Mode", when i try to connect to the SSID using another device (a pretend quest lets say) it fails to get an ip address.

When i try connecting it in router mode, i cant ping the Gaming PC from my laptop connected to the same SSID.

Does anyone know of a way of getting it to work?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

I think I got it, turning off the firewall for private networks on the gaming PC is making it pingable now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Was gonna suggest the method I use which is to run a 10m Cat6 cable from PC to router, but if your method works then it's all good.

You should be getting a ping of around 26ms.

Make sure the router and Quest are using 5Ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

mrcheez wrote: »
    Was gonna suggest the method I use which is to run a 10m Cat6 cable from PC to router, but if your method works then it's all good.

You should be getting a ping of around 26ms.

Make sure the router and Quest are using 5Ghz

That's exactly what I'm doing, it's a cat 6 cable and is ridiculously long!

The dedicated router for virtual desktop will be situated between 2 rooms, the room for the gaming pc and the room the quest will be used.

My dedicated ASUS router may be on the weak side as the channel can only do 40mhz and it's limited to wireless N.

I can always swap the Asus router with my nighthawk if I experience issues.

Thanks for the reply!

Advertisement