Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Someone spoke about Darragh Fives being injury prone in a previous post, but unfortunately Conor Prunty has been equally as unlucky over the last number of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Interview with Cahill at 12 on WLR tomorrow. Molumphy still involved this year, contrary to Irish Examiner reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crazy to think we might not see a Cahill led championship match in person

You'd be hopeful crowds will be permitted again for the 2021 championship

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Ian Kenny was added to the panel prior to lockdown in March. Conor Sheahan another who is part of it.
    Shane Bennett hasn’t & won’t be returning, at least not this year anyway. Michael Kiely also not part of it as far as I am aware.
    I doubt Ballinacourty are best pleased with the injury to Prunty.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭spideyman92

I take it the Rathgormack & Clashmore game isn't being streamed? Isn't on the beosport website

• Advertisement

I take it the Rathgormack & Clashmore game isn't being streamed? Isn't on the beosport website

https://youtu.be/fL7o3BJAo3E

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

PTH2009 wrote: »

Where did wlr get that nigel kelly out of, very poor interview, talks to fast,no clue of gaa

39 in a row for Ballymacarbry ladies football team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Prunty didn’t tog out for Courty today, did he?

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Prunty didn’t tog out for Courty today, did he?

No hes injured

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

No hes injured

so is Montgomery apparently after today's game

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I have written here before about the number of young players who made their mark in this year’s senior hurling championship. I have been looking in particular at those who are eligible to play in this year’s Under 20 intercounty championship.

Some of these have already played for Waterford at Under 20 level and most have played at Minor level. Playing well – and in some cases starring – at senior club level will have given these players a further boost in terms of confidence and ability to cope at intercounty level.

In the following I have focused on players who made an impression on me during this year’s club championship.

The last intercounty Minor championship to be played at Under 18 was in in 2017. Some players from that year’s Minor team will be eligible for Under 20 this year, but I don’t know who they are. In any case, that was probably the weakest Minor team put out by Waterford in a long time. I am led to believe that Mount Sion’s Luke O’Brien from that team is eligible for this year.

From the 2018 Minor team which beat Limerick and Tipperary, the following were quite prominent in this year’s senior club championship: Rory Furlong (Roanmore), Michael Kiely (Abbeyside), Kevin Mahony (Ballygunner), Tristan Loftus (Dungarvan), Paddy Leavy (Ballygunner), Cian Wadding (Roanmore), Oisín O’Gorman (Lismore) and James Power (Clonea). Of these, Furlong and Loftus also player Minor in 2019.

I would also mention Jack Ó Floinn (An Rinn) who was an ever-present on the Waterford Minor teams in both 2018 and 2019, and his clubmate Oisín Ó Ceallaigh who was on the 2018 Minor team and last year’s Under 20 team. Sam Fitzgerald (Clashmore-Kinsalebeg), who did a great marking job on Mikey Kearney in the Western Intermediate final, was also on the 2018 minor team and 2019 Under 20 team, as were Abbeyside’s Michael Kiely and Tourin’s Gavin Fives. Fives played at centre back on the 2018 Minor team and scored an heroic winning point against Tipperary in Thurles.

Players from last year’s Minor team (which was also very competitive) who made a splash in this year’s senior club championship were Cárthach Daly (Lismore), Reuben Halloran (De La Salle), Aaron Ryan (Fourmilewater), Johnny Burke (Dungarvan) and Mikey Cummins (Passage).

Other young players who first came to my notice this year are Seán Walsh (Fourmilewater), PJ Fanning (Mount Sion) and Liam Flynn (Passage). Are any of these eligible for Under 20 this year? Are there any other genuine contenders whom I have left out?

Excluding the last three mentioned, these are 18 good players who are eligible for this year’s county Under 20 team. A lot of these are big, strong, players who are good in the air.

From these 18 players I would have a shot at a team along the following lines:

Full backs: Sam Fitzgerald; Luke O’Brien; Jack Ó Floinn
    Half backs: Cárthach Daly; Rory Furlong; Gavin Fives
    Midfield: Paddy Leavy; Kevin Mahony
    Half forwards: Johnny Burke; Mikey Cummins; James Power
    Full forwards: Reuben Halloran; Michael Kiely; Oisín Ó Ceallaigh

Subs: Cian Wadding; Tristan Loftus; Aaron Ryan; Oisín O’Gorman

Does anyone know a good goalie?

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I have written here before about the number of young players who made their mark in this year’s senior hurling championship. I have been looking in particular at those who are eligible to play in this year’s Under 20 intercounty championship.

Some of these have already played for Waterford at Under 20 level and most have played at Minor level. Playing well – and in some cases starring – at senior club level will have given these players a further boost in terms of confidence and ability to cope at intercounty level.

In the following I have focused on players who made an impression on me during this year’s club championship.

The last intercounty Minor championship to be played at Under 18 was in in 2017. Some players from that year’s Minor team will be eligible for Under 20 this year, but I don’t know who they are. In any case, that was probably the weakest Minor team put out by Waterford in a long time. I am led to believe that Mount Sion’s Luke O’Brien from that team is eligible for this year.

From the 2018 Minor team which beat Limerick and Tipperary, the following were quite prominent in this year’s senior club championship: Rory Furlong (Roanmore), Michael Kiely (Abbeyside), Kevin Mahony (Ballygunner), Tristan Loftus (Dungarvan), Paddy Leavy (Ballygunner), Cian Wadding (Roanmore), Oisín O’Gorman (Lismore) and James Power (Clonea). Of these, Furlong and Loftus also player Minor in 2019.

I would also mention Jack Ó Floinn (An Rinn) who was an ever-present on the Waterford Minor teams in both 2018 and 2019, and his clubmate Oisín Ó Ceallaigh who was on the 2018 Minor team and last year’s Under 20 team. Sam Fitzgerald (Clashmore-Kinsalebeg), who did a great marking job on Mikey Kearney in the Western Intermediate final, was also on the 2018 minor team and 2019 Under 20 team, as were Abbeyside’s Michael Kiely and Tourin’s Gavin Fives. Fives played at centre back on the 2018 Minor team and scored an heroic winning point against Tipperary in Thurles.

Players from last year’s Minor team (which was also very competitive) who made a splash in this year’s senior club championship were Cárthach Daly (Lismore), Reuben Halloran (De La Salle), Aaron Ryan (Fourmilewater), Johnny Burke (Dungarvan) and Mikey Cummins (Passage).

Other young players who first came to my notice this year are Seán Walsh (Fourmilewater), PJ Fanning (Mount Sion) and Liam Flynn (Passage). Are any of these eligible for Under 20 this year? Are there any other genuine contenders whom I have left out?

Excluding the last three mentioned, these are 18 good players who are eligible for this year’s county Under 20 team. A lot of these are big, strong, players who are good in the air.

U20s playing kilkenny this week in a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Where did wlr get that nigel kelly out of, very poor interview, talks to fast,no clue of gaa

Bring back Gavin Whelan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Giveitfong wrote: »

You’ve mentioned some good players alright but in Terms of picking a team your well off

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bigdog95

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    so is Montgomery apparently after today's game

Not really a great look from the Waterford hurling management to have 2 players having injuries coming from probable overtraining. Especially after interviews earlier in the year from Cahill speaking about respect to clubs and players.

A downside to having the inter county season starting so close to the finish of club football.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

bigdog95 wrote: »
    Not really a great look from the Waterford hurling management to have 2 players having injuries coming from probable overtraining. Especially after interviews earlier in the year from Cahill speaking about respect to clubs and players.

A downside to having the inter county season starting so close to the finish of club football.

Cahill or overtraining because of a return to county training can't be blamed for these injuries, these players only went back training with the county last Tuesday and lads with matches the weekend with their clubs wouldn't have trained Friday night or Sunday morning if they'd a match that day.

Conor Prunty got injured Tuesday on their first night back so I couldn't see how that's overtraining and Montgomery has been playing both codes with his club and hurling with UCC so perhaps has being too much all along but again not down to Cahill or Waterford intercounty training.

Obviously the panel have missed out on a lot of training and matches together and it's a tough situation with the club championship scene still going but all in all, Cahill will have the majority of his panel for the next 5 weeks to prepare for Cork and every panel member will be finished clubs 3 weeks before the Cork match which wasn't always the case for opening Munster championship matches in the past.

Cahill or overtraining because of a return to county training can't be blamed for these injuries, these players only went back training with the county last Tuesday and lads with matches the weekend with their clubs wouldn't have trained Friday night or Sunday morning if they'd a match that day.

Conor Prunty got injured Tuesday on their first night back so I couldn't see how that's overtraining and Montgomery has been playing both codes with his club and hurling with UCC so perhaps has being too much all along but again not down to Cahill or Waterford intercounty training.

Obviously the panel have missed out on a lot of training and matches together and it's a tough situation with the club championship scene still going but all in all, Cahill will have the majority of his panel for the next 5 weeks to prepare for Cork and every panel member will be finished clubs 3 weeks before the Cork match which wasn't always the case for opening Munster championship matches in the past.

Lads did train Friday night with football matches the weekend not all players did but some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Liam Flynn is definitely not U20.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bigdog95

And you really think last Tuesday was there first session together ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

Predictions for the big ball the weekend?

news and star this week has a match report from dls winning the u14 division 3 hurling final... dls in division 3? is this their second team or what is the story here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

First team

thesultan wrote: »
    First team

strange to see them competing at division 3 level underage, particularly as their u15 team win the division 1 county final by about 18 points

Predictions for the big ball the weekend?

Rathgormack, other game will depend on prunty and Montgomery playing or not

IC championship fixtures confirmed

Munster Senior Hurling Semi Final
    Waterford vs Cork- Sat 31st Oct- 3.30pm Thurles

Munster Senior Football Quarter Final
    Waterford vs Limerick- Sat 31st Oct- 7pm Fraher Field

Munster U20 Hurling Semi Final
    Waterford vs Tipp Or Clare- Mon 26th Oct 3.15pm- Fraher Field or Sixmilebridge

Munster Minor Hurling semi final
    Waterford vs Tipperary Or Kerry- Fri 30th Oct 6.30pm- Pairc Ui Rinn Cork

Munster Minor Football Quarter Final
    Waterford vs Limerick- Sat 24th Oct 1pm- Gaelic Grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    strange to see them competing at division 3 level underage, particularly as their u15 team win the division 1 county final by about 18 points

Also bizarre to see Brickey Rangers in a division 1 county hurling final given their adult team is only junior grade. Must be good work going in there, that and growing population on outskirts of dungarvan is pushing into brickey land.

• Advertisement

Anyone knw anything about our Minor and U20 squads ??

Be great too win a game or 2 underage but even harder this year been straight knockout esp for the minors

Advertisement