Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options
  • 14-09-2020 1:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

New thread for Waterford GAA discussions as old one reached over 10,000 posts. Thread continues from here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114606261&postcount=10043
    Please see mod warning below if you're not familiar.

Welcome to the Waterford GAA discussion thread.

This is consistently the most active thread on the GAA forum. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. The GAA mods may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it. The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click this report.gif underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting. The full GAA charter is available here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Up the Déise

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Loves me county boy

Any news from the Waterford camp ?, IC training permitted from today. I imagine players still playing Football for their clubs will return in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Loves me county boy

Any news from the Waterford camp ?, IC training permitted from today. I imagine players still playing Football for their clubs will return in a few weeks

They’re back full throttle tomorrow night and play Dublin at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thesultan

Without the footballers?

thesultan wrote: »
    Without the footballers?
    They’re back full throttle tomorrow night and play Dublin at the weekend.

Good stuff

Prob have enough numbers without the club footballers. A few of the unders 20 squad might play as there playing winners of the Tipp vs Clare QF at the end of October.

Speaking of the under 20s didn't the manager say last year that this was a 2 year project ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

In on page 1.

Its a sign. Our year at long last

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Looking back at the first few pages of the last thread it was the days leading up to the Tipp championship game in 2018 (infamous ghost goal). Little did we know how bad things were going to get thereafter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think the lads still playing football with their clubs are still going in for training

They should be left with their clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Any surprise returns to intercounty training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Waterford v cork fixed for thurles on Saturday 31st October at 3.30.

game on sky sports... very disappointing that sky have the game, can't attend and can't watch it at home either now

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

They should be left with their clubs

I would be hard on club managers preparing for a football 1/4 final if intercounty hurlers expected to train with the county but I'm sure there has been some sort of compromise seen as by reckoning there's only 10 left in the senior championship but even after this weekend, I'd be thinking 8 and maybe 9 would be preparing for a county senior football semi-final.

Rathgormack: Billy Power
    Clashmore: Tadhg de Burca
    The Nire: Jamie Barron, Conor Gleeson, Shane Ryan, Tom Barron
    Ballinacourty: Conor Prunty, Michael Kiely, Neil Montgomery
    Gaultier: Dessie Hutchinson

I have only gone through the senior clubs, I know there are lads from intermediate and possibly junior clubs as well who will have knockout ties as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Deisegodeo wrote: »

game on sky sports... very disappointing that sky have the game, can't attend and can't watch it at home either now

This is really disappointing.

Deisegodeo wrote: »

Roll on Halloween

Pubs will be packed for this considering it's on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

Roll on Halloween

FFS - pubs will not be packed, they will be at the adequate capacity to comply with the social distancing requirements, its the way its going to be from now on so just get used to it.

Hard to motivate yourself for this but hey, let's hits hope all the lads make it through the football unscathed first and then give a right go at the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

I would be hard on club managers preparing for a football 1/4 final if intercounty hurlers expected to train with the county but I'm sure there has been some sort of compromise seen as by reckoning there's only 10 left in the senior championship but even after this weekend, I'd be thinking 8 and maybe 9 would be preparing for a county senior football semi-final.

Rathgormack: Billy Power
    Clashmore: Tadhg de Burca
    The Nire: Jamie Barron, Conor Gleeson, Shane Ryan, Tom Barron
    Ballinacourty: Conor Prunty, Michael Kiely, Neil Montgomery
    Gaultier: Dessie Hutchinson

I have only gone through the senior clubs, I know there are lads from intermediate and possibly junior clubs as well who will have knockout ties as well.

Michael kiely wasnt on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Roll on Halloween

Surely trolling

Roll on Halloween

Limited capacity. So won't be packed

Limited capacity. So won't be packed

Well it will be busy and maybe full as per capacity

Anyway great to have something to look forward too

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

JeffKenna wrote: »
    This is really disappointing.

it doesn't seem right, with the government (tax payer) providing the funding to ensure the championships can be played this year, I just eont understand how they can be allowed to have games exclusively on sky sports.

I'm aware of the contract they entered into, but things have changed significantly with spectators unable to attend games. all games should be on terrestrial tv this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

FFS - pubs will not be packed, they will be at the adequate capacity to comply with the social distancing requirements, its the way its going to be from now on so just get used to it.

Hard to motivate yourself for this but hey, let's hits hope all the lads make it through the football unscathed first and then give a right go at the championship.

I wonder which one will be the first to put up a large screen outdoors so that they could sell extra drink by placing tables and chairs outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

blacksuir wrote: »
    I wonder which one will be the first to put up a large screen outdoors so that they could sell extra drink by placing tables and chairs outdoors.

I dont see many sitting outside a pub on the last weekend of October, championship or not.

The way the numbers have been the last few days you'd be better off just ordering in sky or get the TV now bundle rather than booking a table in a pub.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Surely trolling
    A lot of pubs won't probably get sky with sky not cutting their prices.

Hopefully we stay injury free and the management have a full panel to pick from for the 31st Oct

Any news on any additions to the panel ? going by Cahills interview it seems we might have a few additions for the 2021 league

With Connors gone who will have the task of keeping Patrick Horgan quite ?

Connors didn't mark him last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

With counties now back in training for the intercounty championships, it will be interesting to see who is on the Waterford panel. Training panels are limited to 32 players, which (as far as I can make out) is exactly the number of players who got game time for Waterford in their five National Hurling League games earlier this year. Only two players who were named in matchday panels did not get game time – these were James Flavin and Ciarán Kirwan who were named on the panel for the final game against Limerick and whom we can assume will not be in the championship panel.

Two players – Stephen Roche and Jordan Henley – featured in the early-season Munster League but did not make any appearance in NHL matchday panels, and I do not know if they remained as part of the training panel.

There were, as far as I am aware, three players who were named in Liam Cahill’s initial training panel but who were ruled out for the entire league due to injury – DJ Foran, Colm Roche and Michael Kiely of Abbeyside. In addition, Tadhg de Búrca was already ruled out due to his cruciate injury. All of these took a full part in the recent club championships and it will be interesting to see how many, if any (apart, obviously, from de Búrca) of these will return to the panel.

I would not expect Kiely to be involved as he has had no preparation for the much greater demands of senior intercounty hurling. In fact, in his interesting interview after the county final, when asked about the promising new talent which appeared in this year’s club championships, Cahill said he did not intend to include any of these players for this year’s championship but would look forward to giving them the run-over for next year. This makes sense as new players need to be tried out first in national league games to see how they adjust to the demands of top-level hurling.

Foran and Roche I would expect to be recalled to the panel, as in my view they are way ahead of some of the players who featured in this year’s league panel. It will be interesting to see if any other players get calls onto the panel who did not feature in the league, although we would probably have heard about this already if it was the case. The obvious candidate is Maurice Shanahan. We also have virtually no cover in the fullback line, and it would be good to see Ian Kenny getting a call-up, but this is very doubtful at this stage. The possibility of Shane Bennett being called up is also there.

It is interesting that the only player name-checked in Cahill’s interview was Darragh Fives who, Cahill noted, had come safely through Tourin’s championship campaign (which ended in the Western final). Fives played (and played very well) in the first two league games, but then (as usual) got injured. It would be wonderful if he could survive a championship campaign, and a half-back line made up of Fives, Calum Lyons and de Búrca would be among the best in the country. However, I gave up ages ago keeping my fingers crossed regarding Fives’s fitness.

For the record, the following is the panel of players who got game time in the league:

Stephen O’Keeffe
    Billy Nolan
    Shaun O’Brien
    Shane Fives
    Conor Prunty
    Shane McNulty
    Calum Lyons
    Darragh Fives
    Iarlaith Daly
    Austin Gleeson
    Kevin Moran
    Jamie Barron
    Tom Barron
    Neil Montgomery
    Pauric Mahony
    Jack Prendergast
    Kieran Bennett
    Jack Fagan
    Patrick Curran
    Stephen Bennett
    Dessie Hutchinson
    Jake Dillon
    Mikey Kearney
    Peter Hogan
    Darragh Lyons
    Conor Gleeson
    Colin Dunford
    Mark O’Brien
    Billy Power
    Kieran Power
    Shane Ryan
    MJ Sutton

i imagine the challenge match against Dublin that was planned this weekend will not go ahead now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Two players – Stephen Roche and Jordan Henley – featured in the early-season Munster League but did not make any appearance in NHL matchday panels, and I do not know if they remained as part of the training panel.

There was a challenge game played against Wexford back around February and from memory I think both players featured.

Both left the panel

• Advertisement
Advertisement