Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garage Shelving

• 09-09-2020 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

Anyone recommend some decent garage shelving?

I have various stuffs lying on the floor and on an old table in the garage that badly needs tidying up. Buckets of paint, flower pots, tiles, AV and computer equipment - heavy amps and servers, though I might just leave them where they are due to their weight, and various other bits and pieces.

Would rather something fairly industrial that is stable without the need to bolt to the wall. I see some with wood/MDF shelving that supposedly go mouldy so am thinking steel shelves.

As deep as possible, maybe 60mm.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend some decent garage shelving?

I have various stuffs lying on the floor and on an old table in the garage that badly needs tidying up. Buckets of paint, flower pots, tiles, AV and computer equipment - heavy amps and servers, though I might just leave them where they are due to their weight, and various other bits and pieces.
    find
    Would rather something fairly industrial that is stable without the need to bolt to the wall. I see some with wood/MDF shelving that supposedly go mouldy so am thinking steel shelves.

As deep as possible, maybe 60mm.
    find some old kitchen cabinets.on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

check out your local liquidator or places like wilson auctions for second hand stuff

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Long span shelving is awesome.

I got mine from

https://www.storagesystems.ie/products/details/longspan-shelving/60

If your garage is so damp that wood shelves will go mouldy then you should sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check those out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Is the look of it important to you, or do you just want pure basic functionality?

I've lots of shelving done in my shed with just scaffolding boards and solid concrete blocks. Strong enough to hold anything, complete flexibility as regards how tall or wide you want them to be or what height to leave between shelves, and probably the cheapest way of doing things too.

Won't ever win any prizes for appearances, though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

I'm with Uncle Pierre on this one. Boards and blocks all over my place. Wouldn't have a kitchen work top without them.

Don't make the best work benches though. Vibration from most any tool means anything else sat on them will end up on the floor.

For generally storing carp away, off the floor, though? Paint, tools, what ever? I'm a big fan of the Blackspur plastic shelves. About the €20.00 mark a pop. Virtually instantaneous storage. Put together in a few minutes. Light as a feather. Yet, surprisingly strong.

Stigura wrote: »
    Don't make the best work benches though. Vibration from most any tool means anything else sat on them will end up on the floor.

Yeah, mine are mainly just for storage, as I've a separate work bench area.

Having said that, I do have a bit of a workspace on the scaffolding boards as well, and I've no real problem with vibration as I've secured all the boards to the supporting blocks with sturdy steel four-inch nails.

There's very little finesse to my garage, but it works for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I got some BigDug shelving for my shed. Quality is ok, and it's more than sturdy enough for paint and other shed stuff. They're floor-standing but really need to be screwed to the wall at the top for stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I have these for storing my car cleaning stuff. I bought 2 and was able to double up on the height as the uprights just slotted into each other.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/omar-shelving-unit-galvanised-10069763/

• Advertisement

There is a brand of office furniture called bIsley.
    The are mad money new but you often see them on adverts for cheap.
    They come in different shapes and sizes.
    They are perfect for the garage.

Available in Aldi from Thursday - https://www.aldi.ie/workzone-heavy-duty-shelf/p/801061404118400

Might suit if you're not going with the rustic scaffolding boards and cement blocks look :)

Available in Aldi from Thursday - https://www.aldi.ie/workzone-heavy-duty-shelf/p/801061404118400

Might suit if you're not going with the rustic scaffolding boards and cement blocks look :)
    I think you've cracked it! How could I say no at that price.

Haven't got them yet (arriving on Friday) but two of these for €50 is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0178EBXD8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have the same ones (assuming the picture on amazon is correct) and i store weights/kettlebells on them and they're fine.

EDIT: Homebase have some smaller units with steel shelves:
    https://www.homebase.co.uk/galvanised-steel-4-shelf-storage-unit_p374332

Haven't got them yet (arriving on Friday) but two of these for €50 is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0178EBXD8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I already have the same ones (assuming the picture on amazon is correct) and i store weights/kettlebells on them and they're fine.
    That's a good price too. The Aldi are 16cm deeper, could swing it for me. See a lot of reviews talking of the G-Racks going mouldy. Probably in damp garages.

Was thinking of something more heavy duty but will take a punt at €28.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

3 year guarantee for under 30e

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I got a few of these for the shed and would recommend

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/hyllis-shelving-unit-in-outdoor-galvanised-00278578/

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Might suit if you're not going with the rustic scaffolding boards and cement blocks look

Available in Aldi from Thursday -

I have these. They do what they say they do

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks Pierre, the ad says Sunday, will pick up a few.

On the top of this, does anyone know if you can get these shelving units in squares? (30x30 or 40x40 for example). They always seem to be rectangles, but i just want to see can i get a smaller (but taller) unit to put in a corner so i can stack bigger bits (pressure washer, steam cleaner, strimmer) without just trying to hang them off a hook on the wall (though that does seem a better idea perhaps).

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Thanks Pierre, the ad says Sunday, will pick up a few.

So it does. :o

In my haste to bring you good tidings, I overlooked the correct date. Glad to assist anyway!

Would there be limits per person for these? Might get three for the garage and two for the attic!

Best of luck lugging 126 kg to the car. Seriously might want the spread the load under the 4 legs in the attic ones.

Was thinking of going 2x2 rather than 1x4 in the attic. Note sure if enough feet are supplied for that.

Edit: Or 2x1 it'll have to be.

If it's the same product as on KKV's Amazon link each bay is supplied with 8 feet.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lidl had very similar to these last year and you could arrange it in either 1 tall shelving unit, or 2 half height units. I have it in my shed, it looks pretty much identical to that photo so it's probably the same one.

I'll be picking one up anyway, been looking for more shelves.

awec wrote: »
    Lidl had very similar to these last year and you could arrange it in either 1 tall shelving unit, or 2 half height units. I have it in my shed, it looks pretty much identical to that photo so it's probably the same one.

I'll be picking one up anyway, been looking for more shelves.

If you look at the second pic on the Aldi site, I don't think it can be halved. Still a right handy stand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Water John wrote: »
    If you look at the second pic on the Aldi site, I don't think it can be halved. Still a right handy stand.

I think they can. If you look at the legs about half way up (just in front of the black box) there's like a little connector piece.

If you want half units you don't use that piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

Any tips for building the Aldi shelves? Picked 1 up yesterday, opened the box last night and was greeted with about half a million parts. Slight exaggeration but the instructions aren't the best. Judging by the weight of the box though feels like it's a solid unit when built.

Bought 3 bet they'll have to wait. One of the packs had broken packaging and those million parts fell out on the shop floor, oops. One reason the packs will wait.
    Looking at the pic it looks similar to standard warehouse racking for pallet storage. Each made up shelf simply clicks down into the vertical stays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Epping Forest

Half way through it now, once you get the first layer at the bottom done it gets easier as there's some kind of structure to hold it in place.
    I would recommend wearing good work gloves and goggles as there's a lot of hammering involved. If you have a rubber hammer use it, I only have a metal head hammer and had to put duct tape on it, so not to be hitting metal with metal. Also when you're connecting the 8 middle pieces that hold the top half supports, make sure you have the supports the right way up. Follow the pictures. I did it first with them wrong way up, (2 holes at bottom of support instead of 1) and had to redo that. It was obvious because the top supports didn't bang down flush with the bottom ones. Also the beams under every shelf are a bit awkward, I'd recommend stretching out the edges before placing it in. I tried placing them first then rotating into place but it bent the edges.

Advertisement