Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I could see World Snooker hitting him for something financially.

Presumably those people who bought a seat for either session of his game are now entitled to ask for compensation. Obviously the screen will be up and they'll get a distant view of the other table but its not quite what they paid for.

And the TV companies are now reduced from 31 games to 30 games so may be looking for a pro rata rebate of what they paid.

So technically he might get paid the £20K but lose a bit of it to a disrepute fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think Hamilton knew what he was doing the whole time.

He knew what condition he had.

He knew there would be crowds at the finals.

Should not be paid a cent in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah, it is not as if his asthma suddenly appeared. Also leaves an asterix beside Kyren now as well. Because he would have had it handier than the rest of the players. Imagine he goes on to win it!

Listening to the snooker podcast today and they mentioned that Hamilton was vocal about opposing allowing fans. They said he has a friend who is only 35 but had a really bad COVID experience.

I don't get the animosity towards him. I thought we were respecting people's rights to not do things like that. I don't want to force people to take part if they don't want to. He qualified without any audience, got his 15 grand and the ranking points and decided to pull out before the audience got involved. He voiced his displeasure at the audience before now. It all seems perfectly legit to me.

He's very unlikely to get to the world championships again so I'd say he's giving up a lot and I trust he's not doing it fpippantly.

It causes me, as a fan, a slight, teeny-tiny reduction in my viewing pleasure and I respect his decision.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I think Hamilton knew what he was doing the whole time.

He knew what condition he had.

He knew there would be crowds at the finals.

Should not be paid a cent in my view.

Totally unjustifiable position to take. He qualified fair and square and should get his money. If they want to create a rule for the future that says you don't get paid unless you play in front of the audience, that's fine. But that's not the case now aldo he's entitled to his money and his ranking points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Hearn has stated he will get his full prize money so there doesnt seem any issue there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

As a tv spectator there's no harm done with Hamilton pulling out as two matches are on at all time until the one table semi finals.

So we'll be seeing Ding v King tomorrow at 2.30 and the final session of Williams v Stevens on Sat evening.

Isn't Hamilton in a nice place where he can afford to pull out of the games most lucrative tournament.

If i compare it to people working in supermarkets throughout the covid where i noticed in my local shops all the usual faces working all the time. From March to now during times when the covid was at its peak these people went to work where they had to deal with hundrefs of people with no masks every day.

And lots of these staff would be 50+ years of age and im sure some had underlying health conditions. But they still went to work because they had no choice and needed the money.

Same with nurses. Stepped up to the plate, were surrounded by fear and death but valiantly turned up and got the job done.

Shaun Murphy said are we to hide away 24/7 and not leave our houses again?

Of course nothing can be guaranteed but Hamilton had to attend two snooker sessions in a venue with 25% attendance (could be less as tickets left) which the snooker association together with health services deemed to be safe.

He's made his decision. Hope he enjoys watching the other games on the tv as its going to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My problem with Hamilton is not that he's afraid of getting Covid.

He should not have not taken part in qualifying in the first place. First of all he distorted qualifying and then the first round proper.

There's no point in apologising to the 2 players now, its too late for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Totally unjustifiable position to take. He qualified fair and square and should get his money. If they want to create a rule for the future that says you don't get paid unless you play in front of the audience, that's fine. But that's not the case now aldo he's entitled to his money and his ranking points.

He's done all that at the expense of another player getting to the finals. That can't be defended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Eve of the Crucible lads. It's good to be back.

• Advertisement

Isn't Hamilton in a nice place where he can afford to pull out of the games most lucrative tournament.

Yeah he's in a good position to be able to make that choice. Other people don't have the choice, mostly due to financial constraints, and I'm happy for him that he has the freedom to make that choice. He's never likely, an increasingly unlikely, to make it back to the world championship again so it was a big decision for him to surrender probably his last ever world championship finals.

I don't agree with his decision BTW. But he has a choice and I respect his choice.

Rothko wrote: »
    He's done all that at the expense of another player getting to the finals. That can't be defended.

He got there at the expense of another player because he beat the other player fair and square. There's no way to argue otherwise. Perfectly defensible.

You could argue that the beaten player should be allowed to take his place, if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Surprised at the criticism of Hamilton and tbh even more surprised at the general acceptance of snooker allowing an unmasked audience into the Crucible. He pulled out on the same day that the UK Gov announced new restrictions on large parts of Northern England (aka the areas surrounding Sheffield) banning meetings outside of your immediate household. I understand people want to get back to normal, but we are in the exact same situation as we were at the start of all this - the virus is the same, there are no treatments and no vaccine. All we have are social distancing and masks. Throwing both of those away, in an indoor setting, for a sport that isn't exactly known for the importance of the audience involvement seems .... unwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Surprised at the criticism of Hamilton and tbh even more surprised at the general acceptance of snooker allowing an unmasked audience into the Crucible. He pulled out on the same day that the UK Gov announced new restrictions on large parts of Northern England (aka the areas surrounding Sheffield) banning meetings outside of your immediate household. I understand people want to get back to normal, but we are in the exact same situation as we were at the start of all this - the virus is the same, there are no treatments and no vaccine. All we have are social distancing and masks. Throwing both of those away, in an indoor setting, for a sport that isn't exactly known for the importance of the audience involvement seems .... unwise?

I agree with your point that snooker does not need a crowd (only 980 max anyway) which is why I thought it would be OK without a crowd. Plus the crowd has to be quiet most of the time anyway!
    However, I think the criticism of Hamilton is correct as it seemed very last minute.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Balls set up well for a chance at a 147 in frame 1!

Opening frame 147?

Balls are ideal now.

Odds on now. Its going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Great chance for a 147 missed!

Disaster. Misses a sitter of a black. Will there be a better chance of a 147?

• Advertisement

Ah ****e!

Im heading down the bookies later to back a 147 in this years tournament. Its been far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Easiest chance for a max i think I've ever seen. Couldnt have placed them better.

Trump 2020 in early trouble!

Interesting start. A near cert maximum butchered in frame 1 and the reigning world champion losing 2-0. Great to see and hear the audience. Cant ask for much more for a Friday morning.

Although Ford is winning 2-0 and leading in the third frame he isnt playing very well and has missed four of five easy balls. No need for Judd to panic.

Trump having a bit of a shocker tbf. I think Ford has it between the ears to do the job if the opportunity arises.

InAmhrain na bhFianneresting start. A near cert maximum butchered in frame 1 and the reigning world champion losing 2-0. Great to see and hear the audience. Cant ask for much more for a Friday morning.

Would like to see Trump loose can never warm to the fella. Maybe it is because of that stupid 'sexy snooker' stuff he used to go on with. Wearing those silly shoes and generally being full of himself. Plus I always like an underdog/journeyman pro story. Come on Ford! :D

Come on Judd. Wakey wakey time champ!

• Advertisement

Ah Jayus Ford's looking nervy, looses this frame and Trump could steamroll him psychologically.

Advertisement