Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

• 29-07-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

The draw for the final stages of the Betfred World Championship has been made.

The top 16 seeds were randomly drawn against the 16 players who came through the qualifying rounds, which finished on Tuesday night.

The draw is as follows:

Judd Trump v Tom Ford
    Yan Bingtao v Elliot Slessor
    Stephen Maguire v Martin Gould
    Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens
    David Gilbert v Kurt Maflin
    Jack Lisowski v Anthony McGill
    Mark Allen v Jamie Clarke
    Mark Williams v Alan McManus
    Stuart Bingham v Ashley Carty
    Ding Junhui v Mark King
    Ronnie O’Sullivan v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Mark Selby v Jordan Brown
    Shaun Murphy v Noppon Saengkham
    Barry Hawkins v Alexander Ursenbacher
    Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There will be upsets, just hard to pick them out from the list. You'd expect Trump to avoid the old curse though Ford can be tricky enough on his day.

Ronnie v Thepchaiya the obvious standout. Rockets set for launch. Blink and you miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I could see Ursenbacher beating Hawkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭fran38

I expect one or two upsets because the qualified players will be playing in front of little or no spectators so no 'crucible experience' jitters hopefully. That has to be a help to them while a hindrance to the seeds who tend to feed off of the bigger atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

fran38 wrote: »
    I expect one or two upsets because the qualified players will be playing in front of little or no spectators so no 'crucible experience' jitters hopefully. That has to be a help to them while a hindrance to the seeds who tend to feed off of the bigger atmosphere.

Good point, would no big crowd mean that Ronnie is 'not boverred really'?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

The BBC Tv schedule is at the bottom of this link for those who don't have Eurosport

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/53407605

• Advertisement

May have jumped gun a bit with Anthony Hamilton rumour above so deleted it. Reports he's pulled out seem to be based on Hearn saying it on radio earlier but not sure Hearn did say any such thing. Wont be shocked if it happens but just a story as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There seems to be noticeably fewer Chinese players in the draw this year - is that to do with the pandemic or did they just not perform in qualifying?

Ronnie and Uh Nooh the standout first round match. Although Uh Nooh's style of play will likely play straight into Ronnie's hands.

Hamilton possibly pulling out due to crowds being let in? I had middle Saturday tickets for the original scheduling of this in April but let them go during the free return period. The Crucible didn't feel like somewhere I would want to be in the current situation, tiny venue with too much coughing and older people that you'd be concerned for.

There seems to be noticeably fewer Chinese players in the draw this year - is that to do with the pandemic or did they just not perform in qualifying?

Ronnie and Uh Nooh the standout first round match. Although Uh Nooh's style of play will likely play straight into Ronnie's hands.

Hamilton possibly pulling out due to crowds being let in? I had middle Saturday tickets for the original scheduling of this in April but let them go during the free return period. The Crucible didn't feel like somewhere I would want to be in the current situation, tiny venue with too much coughing and older people that you'd be concerned for.

About 10 chinese players didnt enter the qualifiers, including the likes of Zhao Xintong, Xiao Guadong, Zhou Yeulong and Yuan Sijun who'd all have had a good chance of making it so thats probably why it looks a bit thinner than usual. Not forgetting Marco Fu as well.

Thepchaiya bit unlucky to draw Higgins, Trump and O'Sullivan the 3 times he's qualified but i think he can just as easily say Ronnies style will suit him. Gave Judd an almighty scare last year so I'd definitely not rule him out. Plus, Ronnies moods always hard to predict. Might have game face on this year, might not be fully charged. I have frankly no clue with him anymore tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Schedule until Monday. Asterisk is final session.

Friday Jul 31
    Morning session – 10am
    Judd Trump v Tom Ford
    Stuart Bingham v Ashley Carty
    Afternoon session – 2.30pm
    Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton
    Ding Junhui v Mark King
    Evening session – 7pm
    Judd Trump v Tom Ford *
    Mark Williams v Alan McManus

Saturday August 1
    Morning session - 10am
    David Gilbert v Kurf Maflin
    Stuart Bingham v Ashley Carty *
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens
    Ding Junhui v Mark King *
    Evening session – 7pm
    Kyren Wilson v Anthony Hamilton *
    Mark Williams v Alan McManus *

Sunday August 2
    Morning session – 10am
    Yan Bingtao v Elliot Slessor
    Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens *
    Ronnie O’Sullivan v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Evening session – 7pm
    Neil Robertson v Liang Wenbo *
    David Gilbert v Kurf Maflin *

Monday August 3
    Morning session – 10am
    Jack Lisowski v Anthony McGill
    Ronnie O’Sullivan v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh *
    Yan Bingtao v Elliot Slessor *
    Shaun Murphy v Noppon Saengkham
    Evening session – 7pm
    Jack Lisowski v Anthony McGill *
    Mark Selby v Jordan Brown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I think it's a great draw for the first round. I really dont think any match is a foregone conclusion and wouldn't be surprised if quite a few seeds won their match. Have people got short memories of Cahill beating Ronnie?

Ronnie has it all to do to win his opening game again. I could see Alan McManus, Gould, Ursenbacher, Stevens , McGill, Wenbo, Slessor, Thep, Noppon Saengham all going close or winning. Even Ford v Trump could cause an upset as they're all top players and the Crucible ha s thrown up manny a surprise. I just dont see matches at this level being a shock. Whatever happens we're in for a snooker feast for the next two weeks for a tournament that is in my top 5 sporting of every calender year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie giving out again today about spectators being allowed into the venue. Saying the players are being treated like 'lab rats'. Wouldn't surprise me if he wore some type of mask whilst playing. Would that actually be doable at this level or would it have an adverse affect on your game?

Poor form from Wenbo cheating in the decider v Fergal O Brien. There's no chance that he didn't feel that. As big a fan of Ronnie i am i called him out for cheating blatany twice in last couple of years when many of his diehards turn a blind eye and go quiet. Cannot be one rule for one and different for another. Ronnie showed zero sportmanship in those two instances and Wenbo the same.

I find the masks uncomfortable enough to wear for a hour in the supermarket. It'd be very difficult to keep one on for a 9 or 10 frame snooker session, even with a mid session interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Pighead wrote: »
    Ronnie giving out again today about spectators being allowed into the venue. Saying the players are being treated like 'lab rats'. Wouldn't surprise me if he wore some type of mask whilst playing. Would that actually be doable at this level or would it have an adverse affect on your game?

The event is being held in accordance with all public health guidelines. I dunno, for me, there's no gun to anyone's head forcing them to play...if you don't feel safe, don't play :confused: Not that Ronnie is averse to a good moan though :o

Anthony Hamilton rumour now confirmed. Bye into second round for Kyren Wilson.

https://twitter.com/1Snooker4Stats7/status/1288820502472130561?s=20

I find the masks uncomfortable enough to wear for a hour in the supermarket. It'd be very difficult to keep one on for a 9 or 10 frame snooker session, even with a mid session interval.

Can see players, well Ronnie anyway, wearing one while sitting possibly but no way at the table. Breathing an important part of keeping a steady cueing arm, would be too much of an imposition.

If Ronnie wants to pull out too just do it and stop moaning. If he wants to wear a mask, gloves or a visor, just do it and stop moaning. After his blatant cheating it's hard to take him seriously any more.

Anthony Hamilton rumour now confirmed. Bye into second round for Kyren Wilson.

I can see why some of the qualifiers might be really, really annoyed by this. Pure asshole thing to do. It's not as if it's breaking news that there'll be people in watching...if that didn't suit him, the thing to do would have been not to engage in qualifying. There's a place gone at the crucible now that a qualifier could have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Inviere wrote: »
    I can see why some of the qualifiers might be really, really annoyed by this. Pure asshole thing to do. It's not as if it's breaking news that there'll be people in watching...if that didn't suit him, the thing to do would have been not to engage in qualifying. There's a place gone at the crucible now that a qualifier could have had.

Yeah, it is not as if his asthma suddenly appeared. Also leaves an asterix beside Kyren now as well. Because he would have had it handier than the rest of the players. Imagine he goes on to win it!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

harsh on Hamilton calling him an asshole (I see Trump doing the same thing). This was his first time at the Crucible in years, it can't have been an easy decision to pull out. I assume with Ronnie also complaining he was waiting to see if the organisers changed their mind on letting spectators in. Could they not deem him eliminated in the final qualifier and invite Robertson to take his place (or Fergal O'Brien as the narrowest loser in the last round)?

• Advertisement

Can probably see where Hamilton was coming from. He's a professional snooker player, its his livelihood and the qualifiers offered him his first chance at earning cash in five long months. Self employed too so wouldn't have qualified for any government schemes. I'm sure he didn't intend to cheat other players out of a crucible spot, they had the chance to beat him same as they'd have to beat any other opponent. Not going to win him any fans, but he's earned 20 grand and that could be the difference between a decent season and a bad one for him so I'd say his wife and kids would approve anyway!

Can probably see where Hamilton was coming from. He's a professional snooker player, its his livelihood and the qualifiers offered him his first chance at earning cash in five long months. Self employed too so wouldn't have qualified for any government schemes. I'm sure he didn't intend to cheat other players out of a crucible spot, they had the chance to beat him same as they'd have to beat any other opponent. Not going to win him any fans, but he's earned 20 grand and that could be the difference between a decent season and a bad one for him so I'd say his wife and kids would approve anyway!

Definitely a fair point, I hadn't considered the qualies would be a pay day for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah, down at that level the few bob would be important. To be fair the guy may not have fancied the match and so the limited chance of him winning wasn't worth the perceived risk of competing with his asthma. I say perceived because I'm sure the risk to players and spectators that don't have weakened immune systems is fairly negligible at this stage and World Snooker will take loads of precautions here.

Inviere wrote: »
    Definitely a fair point, I hadn't considered the qualies would be a pay day for him.

Am just playing devil's advocate really. But think thats how Hamilton might have seen it.

I wouldn't hold it against Hamilton to be honest. I'm really not convinced that the Crucible is the place to be trying out crowd bubble theories. 300 spectators plus players, officials, journalists, TV crews, stewards, staff and the rest just feels like far too many people in what is a very small space.

And that's with no underlying medical conditions. If I had severe asthma I wouldn't go near the place.

I don't think Hamilton is likely to be in a financial position to turn down the qualification prize money either. Presumably he will lose the first round defeat prize money or is that included in the qualification winnings?

I'd say he'll get the 20k first round loser cheque. I dont see how they could refuse it even if they wanted. It's not like he doesnt have a reasonable excuse for withdrawing by any standard which isn't why people are unhappy with him.

In other news, i see Shaun Murphy is already within the event bubble, having returned from attending a funeral in Portugal. Would be interesting to know how much freedom players will have to leave hotel and wander around town. For the qualifiers they had none. Being cooped up inside for up to 17 days isnt something every player will relish.

If Kyren can stay home for another week, thats a bit of a bonus for him.

I'm sure he'll get the 20K first round loser money. To be honest i wouldn't be in any qay sympathetic to his financial situation. He's earned over 1.5 million on prize money alone and who knows what else from sponsorship and off table stuff.

Compared to the average man/woman working in low paid jobs in supermarkets or hospitality or hospits etc that had to turn up fpr work every day for minimum wage in some cases during the pandemic he's had a dream life he's done very well compared to most.

I agree with poster that said he probably feels deep down he wont beat Wilson, doesn't fancy it, his goal of winning the qualifiers and 20k is a good weeks work and nobody can really question him pulling out so no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

By the time you take out all of the travel and expenses, and plan for the fact that you're career ends at about 45-50 at best, lifetime earnings of £1.5m aren't really that great are they?

On the point about the bubble, surely keeping the player cooped up makes no sense when there are 300 unknowns in the room 2 or 3 times a day for 17 days?

zuutroy wrote: »
    By the time you take out all of the travel and expenses, and plan for the fact that you're career ends at about 45-50 at best, lifetime earnings of £1.5m aren't really that great are they?

On the point about the bubble, surely keeping the player cooped up makes no sense when there are 300 unknowns in the room 2 or 3 times a day for 17 days?

Add in his off table earnings and im sure it wouldn't be bad. Compared to the average man he's earned a nice wage doing something he loves. Not a bad life.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »

Its fair at best for a guy who was once top 10 in his sport and been a pro for 30 years. How some of the lower ranked guys keep at it year after year is a mystery to me, got to be a huge struggle to make it pay for a lot of them.

Still not sure how bubble works. I dont know can they keep lads locked up in a hotel for up to 17 days, hard to see how that could work.

Advertisement