Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Down rating vehicle weight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

If they have provided a valid reason for refusal talk to your local approved test centre that does masses and dimensions.

The response I posted above came from the test center after I tried to get it tested.. They contacted RSA for me..

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Call the Peugeot garage and see if they'll write a note?

I rang the local Peugeot garage at least 10 times, about this.. They took my number every time.

Also rang gowans the main peugeot distributor for Ireland who never had a request for a down rate on the weights..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

stezie wrote: »
    I rang the local Peugeot garage at least 10 times, about this.. They took my number every time.

Also rang gowans the main peugeot distributor for Ireland who never had a request for a down rate on the weights..

Just a small and maybe useless point, you're not down rating, you're down plating.

Down rating sounds like you're making changes so it physically can't carry 7.5 ton, opposite being up rating where you make physical changes so a van can carry more (shocks, brakes etc)

I think the phrases are almost interchangeable, but maybe it might lead to some confusion.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Just a small and maybe useless point, you're not down rating, you're down plating.

Down rating sounds like you're making changes so it physically can't carry 7.5 ton, opposite being up rating where you make physical changes so a van can carry more (shocks, brakes etc)

I think the phrases are almost interchangeable, but maybe it might lead to some confusion.

None of the government sites I looked at mentioned the term down plating

OK, so the saga is complete and the Van is now registered as a 3500KG motorhome.. eventually.

Here is the process I had to follow, I will put lessons learned below.

1. Apply a weight plate from the likes of SVtech.
    2. Carry out motorhome modifications, and have an engineer sign off on the motorhome modifications and the new weight plate being attached. Have the engineer sign an RSA modification report on the weight plate to state that no modifications are required for the lower weight limits. Needed this later for the test.
    3. Submit application to Revenue and pay them the motorhome VRT.
    4. Take letter from Revenue and inform motor tax office of weight change ( SEE NOTE BELOW) and get it taxed as a motor home.
    5. Inform RSA that the van is now 3500kg and get it tested as a LGV/motorhome

The motortax office will only have access to modify the vehicle record at time of taxing. If you already have tax on the vehicle I don't think it is possible to update the vehicle weight. You will need to wait until renewal. MAKE sure you have them update the weights as you tax it as motorhome. As the motor home tax disc is for one year, as far as I can tell , you will need to wait for this tax disc to be cancelled / renewed to modify.

Although I had all my paper work above in place, the RSA test centre still failed the van on "modification of vehicle VIN plate, without supporting documentation" . Their computer system still had the van listed as a HGV even though I had the log book there to show that it was registered as 3500KG. He didn't want to test the van as he would have to put it through as a HGV. After a bit of a heated discussion, I said I paid for a test and they he should put it through as a LGV, which he did, but failed it on the note above. I said he would need to clarify with the RSA on the manual because I believed I had everything in place as requested by the RSA tester manual. A week later I got a call from the test centre , that I indeed had everything in order and issued the pass result.

From what I have learned above, the Revenue, Motortax office and the RSA have all got their own convoluted processes and they don't know themselves what they should be doing! Each department will bounce you from one to the next without giving you a clear answer, expecting you to know their processes inside and out. You try and do things legally in this country and you are thrown so many roadblocks, and are expected to pay heavily to get over them.. I'm pretty sure they are doing their power to keep vehicles off the road, not support safe road users..

Not an easy process to learn first hand, but got there in the end.

Note: this is my experience, your vehicle and situation may have a different process. I'm still not an expert on this. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

OK, so the saga is complete and the Van is now registered as a 3500KG motorhome.. eventually.

Here is the process I had to follow, I will put lessons learned below.

1. Apply a weight plate from the likes of SVtech.
    2. Carry out motorhome modifications, and have an engineer sign off on the motorhome modifications and the new weight plate being attached. Have the engineer sign an RSA modification report on the weight plate to state that no modifications are required for the lower weight limits. Needed this later for the test.
    3. Submit application to Revenue and pay them the motorhome VRT.
    4. Take letter from Revenue and inform motor tax office of weight change ( SEE NOTE BELOW) and get it taxed as a motor home.
    5. Inform RSA that the van is now 3500kg and get it tested as a LGV/motorhome

The motortax office will only have access to modify the vehicle record at time of taxing. If you already have tax on the vehicle I don't think it is possible to update the vehicle weight. You will need to wait until renewal. MAKE sure you have them update the weights as you tax it as motorhome. As the motor home tax disc is for one year, as far as I can tell , you will need to wait for this tax disc to be cancelled / renewed to modify.

Although I had all my paper work above in place, the RSA test centre still failed the van on "modification of vehicle VIN plate, without supporting documentation" . Their computer system still had the van listed as a HGV even though I had the log book there to show that it was registered as 3500KG. He didn't want to test the van as he would have to put it through as a HGV. After a bit of a heated discussion, I said I paid for a test and they he should put it through as a LGV, which he did, but failed it on the note above. I said he would need to clarify with the RSA on the manual because I believed I had everything in place as requested by the RSA tester manual. A week later I got a call from the test centre , that I indeed had everything in order and issued the pass result.

From what I have learned above, the Revenue, Motortax office and the RSA have all got their own convoluted processes and they don't know themselves what they should be doing! Each department will bounce you from one to the next without giving you a clear answer, expecting you to know their processes inside and out. You try and do things legally in this country and you are thrown so many roadblocks, and are expected to pay heavily to get over them.. I'm pretty sure they are doing their power to keep vehicles off the road, not support safe road users..

Not an easy process to learn first hand, but got there in the end.

Note: this is my experience, your vehicle and situation may have a different process. I'm still not an expert on this. :)

I feel your pain.
    The underlying problem is that none of the abovementioned bodies seems to be able to talk to each other and that's compounded by none of then having any written procedures for up or down plating of motorhomes. it's truly an ad hoc procedure.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I feel your pain.
    The underlying problem is that none of the abovementioned bodies seems to be able to talk to each other and that's compounded by none of then having any written procedures for up or down plating of motorhomes. it's truly an ad hoc procedure.

This is certainly the case. They have no interest in helping. They don't want to give an answer, because there is high chance they are incorrect. They don't want to reach out to their internal departments to clarify.

It is a shambles. They have all these departments and red tape, saying that it to help road safety. It is nonsense. Each department demands a hefty chunk of change, just to change one field on the registration book.

This process takes a matter of hours in the UK, and costs very little. In Ireland it took months, and cost thousands..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niallmul

Reviving this thread because I'm slightly unclear. Great info below, but I'm having the same issues now with motor tax office referring me to RSA, referring me to department of transport etc...

In the process of buying a converted Peugeot Boxer that is listed on the logbook as 4ton GVW as well as on the vehicle plate. The van has already been converted to a campervan on the logbook, so does anyone know what the process is for down plating it to 3.5ton on the logbook and plate when it is already listed as a campervan?

Cheers!!

niallmul wrote: »
    Reviving this thread because I'm slightly unclear. Great info below, but I'm having the same issues now with motor tax office referring me to RSA, referring me to department of transport etc...

In the process of buying a converted Peugeot Boxer that is listed on the logbook as 4ton GVW as well as on the vehicle plate. The van has already been converted to a campervan on the logbook, so does anyone know what the process is for down plating it to 3.5ton on the logbook and plate when it is already listed as a campervan?

Cheers!!

The steps I followed in is post 36..

Your scenario is different in that yours is already registered as a motor caravan.

I would imagine, but I could be wrong, is that you need a SVTECH cert and updated VIN sticker for the weight change. You then notify the motor tax office who will update the record to 3500kg using the change of particulars form, you then book a CVRT test as a LGV ( you will need to phone the CVRT office and tell them as the system will still have it as a HGV), and then take the CVRT test and retax it.

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 niallmul

The steps I followed in is post 36..

Your scenario is different in that yours is already registered as a motor caravan.

I would imagine, but I could be wrong, is that you need a SVTECH cert and updated VIN sticker for the weight change. You then notify the motor tax office who will update the record to 3500kg using the change of particulars form, you then book a CVRT test as a LGV ( you will need to phone the CVRT office and tell them as the system will still have it as a HGV), and then take the CVRT test and retax it.

good luck!

Yup, I had a good read through it but like you say, the fact that it's already a campervan was throwing me!

Thanks for the help, I've contacted SVTECH as well in the mean time so fingers crossed. Motor tax office had said they wouldn't have anything to do with it as it wasn't going to affect the vehicle's tax status as it's already a camper. Sorry if this is an obvious question but I've no experience with commercials, do you know if I can book the CVRT test any time or do I have to wait until the test is up?

Thanks again!!

• Advertisement

niallmul wrote: »
    Yup, I had a good read through it but like you say, the fact that it's already a campervan was throwing me!

Thanks for the help, I've contacted SVTECH as well in the mean time so fingers crossed. Motor tax office had said they wouldn't have anything to do with it as it wasn't going to affect the vehicle's tax status as it's already a camper. Sorry if this is an obvious question but I've no experience with commercials, do you know if I can book the CVRT test any time or do I have to wait until the test is up?

Thanks again!!

I believe they need to update the Vehicle particulars on the log book, ie the weight limits. I do remember them saying they can only update vehicle record at tax renewal.. So that might be an issue if you still have a years tax on it..

You can book a test any time Im sure, but not sure how that affects the expiry date.

Perhaps the CVRT can update the vehicle weights on the vehicle record...you have a slighty different scenario to mines

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Good to hear! I will definitely reach out to them now.

Yeah the SQI said he can stamp the modification report to reflect the weight. But its the physical VIN plate that is the problem.

physical VIN plate fitted by your vehicle make dealers garage. If one got no clue what you talking about ring another one.

markmoto wrote: »
    physical VIN plate fitted by your vehicle make dealers garage. If one got no clue what you talking about ring another one.

Peugeot wouldn't make a new VIN plate for me. Rang several dealers and the headquarters in Dublin even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

If you want to keep the business local talk to https://www.proassess.ie/,. they are very helpful and are familiar with the up-plating and down-plating process for campers.

Advertisement