Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

vid36 wrote: »
    The exams are usually the first two weeks of March.

Someone in this thread rang the hote see if there were any room bookings and that worked before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dizg

Hi all,

I've been considering taking the Fe1's for some time now as I'm a law graduate and have been interested in this career path however, I landed in a pretty good job straight out of college and am wondering whether I'm financially, and otherwise, in a position to change careers at 31. I'm prepared to put the work in but the cost is really deterring.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

dizg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been considering taking the Fe1's for some time now as I'm a law graduate and have been interested in this career path however, I landed in a pretty good job straight out of college and am wondering whether I'm financially, and otherwise, in a position to change careers at 31. I'm prepared to put the work in but the cost is really deterring.

31 is definitely not too late to start most trainees in my firm are between 28-33 I say go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

dizg wrote: »
    Hi all,

I switched into law from science at 35 so you're ahead of me :) Its costly but look at it like an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 innako

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone who has some good notes on DPP v Shaw 1982 case re arrest and detention and unconstitutionally obtained evidence?

What I have researched is confusing and I need someone to explain it to me in plain English.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 miglaws84

I switched into law from science at 35 so you're ahead of me :) Its costly but look at it like an investment.

35 here too and going to do the FE1s next year *eeek*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

user115 wrote: »
    I'm currently doing traineeship applications. I have done a post graduate degree in law but alot of the applications look for for undergrad details and only short summary of post grad. I didn't do my undergrad in law, should I just put down details of my post grad in that section as it is most relevant?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Hi there - just dropping in here for a look, used to be very active when I was doing the FE1's but I'm finished and practising now, ultra-mature student ;-)

LLM's tend to be narrowly-focussed, and not in areas of general practise - I don't know what you did yours in but is it a revenue-generating area for the type of firm you want to work for? Some people do LLMs if the primary degree is a bit under 2.1, that might explain why you're being asked about your primary. That said, I had loads of colleagues in Blackhall Place whose primary degrees wer not in law - several had B. Mus. degrees, for example. Firms are more interested in your non-law skills - if you have other relevant aptitudes play those up - things like language skills, computer skills, taxation etc. Someone with Polish, Russian and database development skills is very employable, all the Eastern European people are buying property, having accidents etc and the language skill would be a huge boost.
    Day-to-day law practise rarely touches on the stuff you do in college in a primary degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Probably posting here somewhat prematurely since I'm still doing my law degree but trying to figure out what I want to do when I graduate.
    When people finish college (circa. May) and intend on sitting the FE1s in the following October and March - do many take up jobs in conjunction with studying?

Also: is it realistic to pass five subjects in the first sitting if one starts studying around May/June?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Hi there - just dropping in here for a look, used to be very active when I was doing the FE1's but I'm finished and practising now, ultra-mature student ;-)

LLM's tend to be narrowly-focussed, and not in areas of general practise - I don't know what you did yours in but is it a revenue-generating area for the type of firm you want to work for? Some people do LLMs if the primary degree is a bit under 2.1, that might explain why you're being asked about your primary. That said, I had loads of colleagues in Blackhall Place whose primary degrees wer not in law - several had B. Mus. degrees, for example. Firms are more interested in your non-law skills - if you have other relevant aptitudes play those up - things like language skills, computer skills, taxation etc. Someone with Polish, Russian and database development skills is very employable, all the Eastern European people are buying property, having accidents etc and the language skill would be a huge boost.
    Day-to-day law practise rarely touches on the stuff you do in college in a primary degree.

I suppose it depends on whether you plan on working in a solicitor's office or a commercial law firm. LLMs in Ireland have come a long way over the last 5 years. If you want to work in a commercial firm, you need a strong business acumen and you need a high level of commercial awareness. LLMs are a good way to develop these skills. A graduate with knowledge of funds, IP, aviation, tax, M&A or any other business related area would most likely ahead of a person with a standard law degree imo, in the Irish market anyways. Your personality, grades and business acumen is what gets you into the top 10 firms. Large firms wouldn't be dealing with eastern europeans who are in accidents, 99% of the time they would be representing the insurance firm trying to strike out the claim. Students with an undergraduate degree in law with good grades are definitely in the best position to be employed by law firms in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Law1997

Hi guys so I sat my first four FE1s this month. Each paper was ok, I answered 5 Qs in each but I had one Q in Equity that was poor and one or two others in various papers. Overall they were fine, but I had no academic commentary. I did have plenty of case law. I am extremely stressed as I am due to start my contract in May but cant start unless I have passed all. I dont have a job at the moment. My question is - what do other people have as their Plan B? What do you do if you dont get them the first time round? I dont know anyone else sitting them. I also dont know if I should be studying for the next four right now or wait until results? I have my manuals and papers ready to go. What are people doing. Just feeling very out of the loop. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Sineaddh

Hi all

Just wondering how do I apply for a refund of exams missed?

I have a GP note, just not sure how to apply.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Breacnua

Law1997 wrote: »
    Hi guys so I sat my first four FE1s this month. Each paper was ok, I answered 5 Qs in each but I had one Q in Equity that was poor and one or two others in various papers. Overall they were fine, but I had no academic commentary. I did have plenty of case law. I am extremely stressed as I am due to start my contract in May but cant start unless I have passed all. I dont have a job at the moment. My question is - what do other people have as their Plan B? What do you do if you dont get them the first time round? I dont know anyone else sitting them. I also dont know if I should be studying for the next four right now or wait until results? I have my manuals and papers ready to go. What are people doing. Just feeling very out of the loop. Thanks.

start ur study on the next 4 and hope u have them got. on the backfoot if u let Nov go with nothing done and doing 4 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Sounds like you are in an excellent place - remember the pass rate is only 50, being able to answer/address 5 Qs with good caselaw for each is more then enough to pass. You do not need any academic commentary at all to pass so I wouldnt worry.

If I were you I would start looking at maybe one of the beefier subjects now (Tort, Constitutional or EU), just to get a bit of a head start ahead of your final four!

Breacnua wrote: »
    start ur study on the next 4 and hope u have them got. on the backfoot if u let Nov go with nothing done and doing 4 of them.

Thanks for this.

Sounds like you are in an excellent place - remember the pass rate is only 50, being able to answer/address 5 Qs with good caselaw for each is more then enough to pass. You do not need any academic commentary at all to pass so I wouldnt worry.

If I were you I would start looking at maybe one of the beefier subjects now (Tort, Constitutional or EU), just to get a bit of a head start ahead of your final four!

Thanks! Just so hard to know. I’ve tort Constitutional property and contract left

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bassadd

Thanks! Just so hard to know. I’ve tort Constitutional property and contract left

I have condensed Tort notes that I can send you on that may help - I dont have every chapter covered but I have the most frequently asked ones and a few stragglers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Liordi wrote: »
    Probably posting here somewhat prematurely since I'm still doing my law degree but trying to figure out what I want to do when I graduate.
    When people finish college (circa. May) and intend on sitting the FE1s in the following October and March - do many take up jobs in conjunction with studying?

Also: is it realistic to pass five subjects in the first sitting if one starts studying around May/June?

Loads of time. Passed my first 5 last year in October, and I started studying in end of July- start of August. I only had a part time at the time though. For the second set I was working full time until two weeks up to the exams so it was a different time management for studying and a good bit stressful.

It depends - do you have parents you can live with, so not working is an option/privilege? If not, will it impact badly on you not working for a period of time? It's on you. Both options are manageable but one is certainly more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

I would take a pick between Constitutional and Tort, again you have plenty of time till the next set in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vid36

I was at the PPC Hybrid,open day and there is major news which will affect new FE1 students, the magic three rule is going to be scrapped as soon as a new statutory instrument comes into effect.This will probably be in 2020.After that, you can sit as many as you like.
    PPC 2 will be scrapped in 2020 and turned into part time modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on whether you plan on working in a solicitor's office or a commercial law firm. LLMs in Ireland have come a long way over the last 5 years. If you want to work in a commercial firm, you need a strong business acumen and you need a high level of commercial awareness. LLMs are a good way to develop these skills. A graduate with knowledge of funds, IP, aviation, tax, M&A or any other business related area would most likely ahead of a person with a standard law degree imo, in the Irish market anyways. Your personality, grades and business acumen is what gets you into the top 10 firms. Large firms wouldn't be dealing with eastern europeans who are in accidents, 99% of the time they would be representing the insurance firm trying to strike out the claim. Students with an undergraduate degree in law with good grades are definitely in the best position to be employed by law firms in Ireland.

Very fair comment. I personally prefer general practice, EE’s getting themselves into bother, lower court advocacy, etc. I’m very much a ‘people person’, I like meeting clients and establishing a friendly relationship. I spent just over a year in a more commercial environment, working in a cubicle, boss 150 miles away, 300+ emails a day and SOPs on everything except how to wipe your arse. Not for me, ever again. Given a choice, I’d do probate practice only, the engagement around wills, estate administration and (woohoo!) probate litigation is great fun.
    Once you get a good outcome for the EEs, word spreads and you get more, there’s decent income from it, and you get to meet some seriously bright SCs whose drafting skills and tactical acumen are awesome.
    Conveyancing keeps the lights on but it’s desperately tedious, you have to tidy up so much non-legal crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

lawless11 wrote: »
    Loads of time. Passed my first 5 last year in October, and I started studying in end of July- start of August. I only had a part time at the time though. For the second set I was working full time until two weeks up to the exams so it was a different time management for studying and a good bit stressful.

It depends - do you have parents you can live with, so not working is an option/privilege? If not, will it impact badly on you not working for a period of time? It's on you. Both options are manageable but one is certainly more comfortable.

I guess I will try to sit 5 the October after I finish college and see how it goes. (2021 so I'm not sure why I'm even thinking about it right now)

Yeah - I will be moving back home once I graduate (outside Dublin unfortunately) and I wouldn't need to work but it seems like a huge potential loss of earnings to justify not working - even if it is just part-time somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ahhhhhFE1s

Contemplating these hell exams again.. Trying to make a bit of plan with the hope there will be no nasty surprise at the end of the month.. Last set did all my study in 2 months, getting the bulk of the notes done in 5 weeks and spending two/three weeks attempting to learn.. Had a part time job and was off for the week before only.

Now I am working full time and not sure how much study leave I will be able to wrangle.. Not sure how to manage the study this time around.. Any advice from people working full time how did they manage it?

Also found it pretty difficult to learn off in the last few weeks last time, have tried shortened notes, mnemonics and drawing pictures to remember has anyone anything else that really helped??

I am hoping to do constitutional, property, contract and tort this time (realistically could all change yet but good to be optimistic!) so if anyone has any advice on topics to cover as well would really appreciate it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Does anyone have a copy of the October Constitutional Law exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Louis Litt

vid36 wrote: »
    I was at the PPC Hybrid,open day and there is major news which will affect new FE1 students, the magic three rule is going to be scrapped as soon as a new statutory instrument comes into effect.This will probably be in 2020.After that, you can sit as many as you like.
    PPC 2 will be scrapped in 2020 and turned into part time modules.

Hey,

Thanks for the update. Regarding the Hybrid course, what are the timelines for that? Do you qualify faster if your working in a firm while completing PPC1 or does some time get knocked off the rotations after?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

SwD wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of the October Constitutional Law exam?

Any luck getting this??

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭vid36

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the update. Regarding the Hybrid course, what are the timelines for that? Do you qualify faster if your working in a firm while completing PPC1 or does some time get knocked off the rotations after?

If you have full credit for work done, the qualification times are very similar even though both PPC1 and PPC2 last longer on the Hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Coleman101

Hi guys can anyone tell me if trainees are entitled to a wage while on PPC1, If they have worked with the firm for a period before commencing PPC1? Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

Any luck getting this??

No luck as of yet.

Anyone have grids for tort and contract? Can swap grids for any other subject. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

ahhhhhFE1s wrote: »
    Contemplating these hell exams again.. Trying to make a bit of plan with the hope there will be no nasty surprise at the end of the month.. Last set did all my study in 2 months, getting the bulk of the notes done in 5 weeks and spending two/three weeks attempting to learn.. Had a part time job and was off for the week before only.

Now I am working full time and not sure how much study leave I will be able to wrangle.. Not sure how to manage the study this time around.. Any advice from people working full time how did they manage it?

Also found it pretty difficult to learn off in the last few weeks last time, have tried shortened notes, mnemonics and drawing pictures to remember has anyone anything else that really helped??

I am hoping to do constitutional, property, contract and tort this time (realistically could all change yet but good to be optimistic!) so if anyone has any advice on topics to cover as well would really appreciate it!!

It’s often hard to advise someone on how best to actually memorise things as our brains all work differently and react to different mental cues. However, having been through the FE1s and eventually passing them all (had one absolutely disastrous sitting so I definitely know the pain) I do sometimes get the feeling that people focus way too hard on how to memorise rather than what to memorise. In other words, people focus too much on these memory techniques rather than actually first minimising the amount they have to memorise.

Ultimately, the individual FE1 questions are — on a purely conceptual basis — not overly complicated. It’s the volume, timetabling and in fairness somewhat mysterious marking rubric (or lack thereof rather) which makes them so formidable. The thing is, if you take a past paper approach, and go through the papers meticulously (carefully noting examiner reports for each year) you will absolutely identify the patterns, recurring themes, what curveballs come up and — ultimately — the cases which will cover the themes and recurring curveballs.

By taking that meticulous past paper approach, you will be able to trim away unnecessary cases. Your answers will actually be tidier, more focused and above will read much better and effectively. People make the mistake of thinking that if they try to memorise an obscene amount of cases then they can fall back on a word vomit strategy. The problem with that approach is that you leave yourself with an almighty and needlessly high mountain of random cases to learn which will ultimately affect your ability to retain the relevant & important cases.

My advice to everyone : Don’t learn blindly — past papers, past papers, past papers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement