Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Post-Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There's a very interesting interview with him in the Athletic. "They made their, decision, I made mine" is one of the quotes and he says he isn't jealous at all. I'm sure $330m softens the blow but that can't be true, can it?

I think the Nationals offer was pretty close to the Phillies offer, certainly the difference would not be noticeable to any person (except maybe to Scott Boras who always wants record contracts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I think the Nationals offer was pretty close to the Phillies offer, certainly the difference would not be noticeable to any person (except maybe to Scott Boras who always wants record contracts).

Quite a lot of the Nationals offer was deferred though, and deferred for a long time. He'd still be getting paid when he was 60....!!

No deferred money in the deal he signed with Philadelphia.

Now to you and me, $330m is $330m, no matter how long it takes to get but these guys don't think like us.

Interesting article on Stanton - effectively Yankees are playing with a 24 man roster because Stanton is injured yet they don't want to take him off the roster because that would make him ineligible for the WS

https://www.mlb.com/news/giancarlo-stanton-gives-yankees-a-roster-dilemma

He's back in the lineup tonight. I wonder how fit he is?

He's back in the lineup tonight. I wonder how fit he is?

Guess we'll see. Looks like Encarnacion was sacrificed which is not surprising, he has had a torrid ALCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Verlander throwing similar stuff tonight that he threw in short rest game v the Rays. Not quiet batting practice but hittable!

• Advertisement

Bullpen game tonight. So expect that to go about 4 hours then.

Stanton not in the line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

He would want to be really struggling to go back to Edwin with the fcuk all he has been doing.

What a 9th inning.

Couldn’t have timed getting up for my mid night toilet break any better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sick as a bus to knock after that.. Fair play to the Astros but that's gonna leave a sour taste for while

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

This will hurt the Yankees,they would have felt this year was there best chance to win it.Still short a bit of pitching I feel tbh.Should be a great world series with some tasty pitching matchups,fancy the astros in 6

Nationals just about beat Cole though they had to go deep in their bullpen, will be interesting to see if they pay a price for that tomorrow.

Also re: Springer

https://twitter.com/b_outliers/status/1186865210012917765

Hard to see a way back for the Astros now, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Didn't expect to be seeing that one-sided of a score this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yea, the history says not many teams have come back to win the WS after been 0-2 after their home game set. Apparently the Nats are unbeaten since they started wearing their Navy jerseys, I wonder what colour they will wear on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Coeus wrote: »
    Yea, the history says not many teams have come back to win the WS after been 0-2 after their home game set. Apparently the Nats are unbeaten since they started wearing their Navy jerseys, I wonder what colour they will wear on Friday night.

I think only 3 teams have won the WS after losing the first 2 home games:
    '85 Royals, '86 Mets, '96 Yankees.

Houston can, of course. Everyone has a chance till the last out's made. But, 3 games in DC is a tall order. In 1986, the trick was to get into Boston's bullpen, they were pretty bad.

I’m over in South Carolina at the moment and quite surprised at how little interest there is in the WS. Ok it’s not a hotbed for Nationals or Astros fans but I was expecting more people to be watching in the bars. Some bars didn’t even have it on and were showing NBA games instead. And those that are showing it, there’s no one really into it.

I’ve enjoyed both games so far. Last night’s wasn’t a blowout until Verlander left. Up until then it was an excellent pitching duel. Can’t see the Nats losing from here. They just looked so locked in.

Joe Girardi to be new Philadelphia Phillies manager. Good luck, Joe, tough town.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27917974/source-phillies-hire-ex-yankees-manager-joe-girardi

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    Joe Girardi to be new Philadelphia Phillies manager. Good luck, Joe, tough town.
    https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27917974/source-phillies-hire-ex-yankees-manager-joe-girardi

Would have been my preference for the Mets gig but not to be now. Wilpon’s probably wouldn’t have been willing to pay his salary anyway.

Would have been my preference for the Mets gig but not to be now. Wilpon’s probably wouldn’t have been willing to pay his salary anyway.
    Don't think he would go there straight after the Yankees.

Padres are going to hire Jayce Tingler as their manager - his big league management experience seems to be limited to being a bench coach for the Rangers.

There's a good hire available for most front offices, except Red Sox: Bill James just quit

https://nypost.com/2019/10/24/analytics-giant-bill-james-quits-red-sox/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Igotadose wrote: »
    There's a good hire available for most front offices, except Red Sox: Bill James just quit

https://nypost.com/2019/10/24/analytics-giant-bill-james-quits-red-sox/

Sounds more like retired than quit and available for other front office jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

kmart6 wrote: »
    Don't think he would go there straight after the Yankees.

I suspect money was more the issue. A lot of pressure with the Phillies considering the money they have spent and the money they're claiming to be willing to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

David 'Grandpa' Ross appointed as the Cubs new manager. Strange choice imo. No big league or otherwise experience of management. All he has going for him is a knowledge of the players as most of them are ex-teammates. Can't see it working out.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    David 'Grandpa' Ross appointed as the Cubs new manager. Strange choice imo. No big league or otherwise experience of management. All he has going for him is a knowledge of the players as most of them are ex-teammates. Can't see it working out.

Seems to be a trend lately. Aaron Boone didn't have any experience either? Admittedly there was a large gap between retirement and management for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Astros take control. Can't see the Nats coming back into this especially if Scherzer is injuried

Advertisement