Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB 2017 Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Kershaw's earning more this year than the 25 on yesterday's Padres roster combined

And if his back holds up he's looking like he's worth every cent of it. He's on another level.

It was great to see the opener at that time. It has been tough to stick with the Padres down, the years, with the 8hour time difference. Don't get to see many games live. Sometimes that's a relief! I think they'll really struggle this year... But I hope I'm wrong. It seems that Andy green has been trying to play down expectations at any opportunity.

Great to be back into the swing of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Long time lurker and as names suggests, Mets fan. Solid start. And good to get off to a win. Was impressed with the Braves until their bullpen. If that's its true quality, then its gonna be a long season for them.

Great to have baseball back!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Mets fan also here , I enjoyed the game yesterday , first 6 innings was a real pitchers battler , Braves bullpen let them down giving up 5 walks . Flores overturned play was the key point to the game. Colon vs deGrom on Wednesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

8-10 wrote: »
    Never heard of the place, they play MLB regularly?
    Good place for the NFL as well I think, so maybe its an American sports type of place!

They are relatively new and are a sports bar. They played a good bit of NFL last season and College Football.
    They are more than willing to show stuff and get a bit of interest going if numbers were to come along.
    I work nearby and have a few friends who are well up for going and trying to make it a home. The Woolshed and the likes have their crowds and their "go-to" sports and niches. Baseball doesnt tend to be one of them.
    Luckily baseball is at good (quiet) times. Early games tend to be Sundays at 6PM GMT and random weekdays during the summer with little to no clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,907 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets fan also here , I enjoyed the game yesterday , first 6 innings was a real pitchers battler , Braves bullpen let them down giving up 5 walks . Flores overturned play was the key point to the game. Colon vs deGrom on Wednesday night

It was fun. Now Lugo and Matz on the DL, so 2 pitchers down after 1 game! Sigh.
    Montero will be called upon a lot I think this year, what with the limits on Wheeler's pitching and who knows how well deGrom and Harvey hold up.

Yes, there is depth. I wish we still had Bartolo Colon. He's starting against the Mets on Wednesday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Igotadose wrote: »

Yes, there is WAS depth.

Fixed your post for you!

One more to go down (Noah's blister?) and we're onto either Montero or Gilmartin....!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Kershaw's earning more this year than the 25 on yesterday's Padres roster combined
    And they paying more salary ($35M odd) to players who they have traded/released. I think they are a lock to lose 100 games, maybe even 110 :o

Fixed your post for you!

One more to go down (Noah's blister?) and we're onto either Montero or Gilmartin....!!!!

Gilmartin... NO NO NO NO. Seeing Eric O'Flaherty "pitch" in the opener was reminder enough of the 'scrub team' that played way too much last year!

Bad enough we're going to be running Rafael Montero out there. *cringe*

Fixed your post for you!

Montero had a good Spring Training. So you never know. And yet deep down you do really know!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

deGrom pitching tonight , Harvey Thursday , Wheeler Friday and Gsellman Saturday. Will be interesting to see how many innings Wheeler will pitch against the Marlins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Coeus wrote: »
    And they paying more salary ($35M odd) to players who they have traded/released. I think they are a lock to lose 100 games, maybe even 110 :o

Well they won 1 against the supposedly electric dodgers, wouldnt be all doom and gloom about the Padres. They have a line up that can hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

deGrom pitching tonight , Harvey Thursday , Wheeler Friday and Gsellman Saturday. Will be interesting to see how many innings Wheeler will pitch against the Marlins.

He didn't look great in the spring training game I saw him in. Id have bigger hopes for Gsellman than Wheeler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

He didn't look great in the spring training game I saw him in. Id have bigger hopes for Gsellman than Wheeler

Spring training isnt really an indicator though, lots of pitchers use it as practice for new pitches and they are really just trying to get through it healthy. Wheeler has the better stuff if he has fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Happy with CC's 1st outing last night

He looked composed and confident

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

watched the mariners game against the astros last night ,wasn't much to cheer about however mitch haniger looks like he could be a big player for us

ShyMets wrote: »
    Montero had a good Spring Training. So you never know. And yet deep down you do really know!

And there you go. Montero being Montero.

Puig.... Real or mirage??

Doogs27 wrote: »

Don't know.

But I wouldn't be making any decisions on any player or any team, good or bad, based on the first week of the season.

Don't know.

But I wouldn't be making any decisions on any player or any team, good or bad, based on the first week of the season.

True, but the sample size is bigger than say a rookie in his first week in the majors. I guess a better question is was last year real or a mirage. Everyone would probably love being pitched by the padres every week, but he's come out hot.

I don't think anyone's gonna hold you to it, it's just a question, if we all knew for sure, we'd be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Doogs27 wrote: »

He's batting 7th or 8th for a reason. He obviously has power but he has no plate discipline.

Dodgers need to run him while he's hot and hope he doesn't hurt them too much when he's not.

• Advertisement

He's batting 7th or 8th for a reason. He obviously has power but he has no plate discipline.

Dodgers need to run him while he's hot and hope he doesn't hurt them too much when he's not.

Yeah true, I put a bit of him batting in that spot down to the talented roster but I guess he was pretty bad last year. Like Jack said, too early to call. If Dodgers.can hit lefties they're a major player.

Poor return for Wheeler. Still not convinced he's ready for the rotation. Doesn't seem to have enough stamina built yet. Hopefully that will come in time

Poor return for Wheeler. Still not convinced he's ready for the rotation. Doesn't seem to have enough stamina built yet. Hopefully that will come in time
    Don't understand with 2 years off how stamina can be an issue. Accuracy, control, velocity, sure. But he shouldn't be getting tired, he's barely pitched. Should be well rested.

And, it's Wheeler. He wasn't exactly Cy Young prior to the injuries. He's maybe a 3rd starter at best, not a 2 or a 1.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Don't understand with 2 years off how stamina can be an issue. Accuracy, control, velocity, sure. But he shouldn't be getting tired, he's barely pitched. Should be well rested.

And, it's Wheeler. He wasn't exactly Cy Young prior to the injuries. He's maybe a 3rd starter at best, not a 2 or a 1.

Agree. Just thought he looked tired. Which surprised me. In other Mets news Sewald has been called up. He pitched well in Spring Training. Interesting to see how he fares

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Week 1 over reaction:

The Blue Jays are a travesty of a baseball team and Jose Bautista can't hit for crap.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Hopefully the mariners can get tonight against angels its been a rough start for the ms.Though the angels have been swinging the bats quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Doodah7

First week over and the Cubs are 4-2 after the first two rounds of games. Good early signs with all of the team getting regular hits and the rotation pitching well.

Interesting game this evening with all of the ceremonies at Wrigley celebrating the World Series and then a tough game against likely play-off contenders the Dodgers. With all the pre-game distractions, I expect the Cubs to get shelled this evening...

Hopefully the mariners can get tonight against angels its been a rough start for the ms.Though the angels have been swinging the bats quite well

Was looking good for you for most of the game but what the hell happened in the 9th?

Toronto claim Ty Kelly off waivers from the Mets. A pity to loose him. He was a good utility guy to have around

• Advertisement

Toronto claim Ty Kelly off waivers from the Mets. A pity to loose him. He was a good utility guy to have around

Utility infielder gone, still have Matt Reynolds around and Cecchini.

In other news, Jay Bruce tied for the lead in the majors with 4 home runs.:p

Advertisement