Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Seat Mega Thread! Please post all your car seat questions here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

How on earth is my baby so big?! Never thought of emailing britax ill do that I really like the seat I just would like to keep her rear facing for another while yet :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I have the maxi-cosi cabriofix rear facing car seat, and have noticed that baby is getting too tall for the newborn head support. I'd say that in a month or so he wont fit it at all. So, this cushion is removable, should I be getting another size of cushion or does it just come out altogether as baby grows?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can take it out once he is big enough. It is really only to support their neck better for the 1st 6/7 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My boy is 11 month now I'm going to keep him in his maxi cosi pebble for another while but I want to get next stage seat in sales. I'm going between maxi cosi axiss or priori xp, any advice on either would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I had the axiss for my 2 loved it but as head rest does not rise up very high both my kids were finished it by 2yrs old (my kids are tall)
    So I would advise you look how high head rest s go up to
    Loved the convenience of axiss I have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    My boy is 11 month now I'm going to keep him in his maxi cosi pebble for another while but I want to get next stage seat in sales. I'm going between maxi cosi axiss or priori xp, any advice on either would be great

Probably worth going somewhere reputable to check both seats fit before deciding. Apparently despite the suitability chart on the Maxi Cosi website the Axiss doesn't fit a lot of cars. I had decided on it , after being told in Smyths it fit my type of car, but when I went to Tony Kealys and asked them to actually try it in my car the girl said it didn't fit properly and wouldn't sell it to me. Think it uses a lot of seatbelt to fit in and the belts in a lot of cars are too short.

No point spending time on the decision if it won't fit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks we went to halfords and they tried to fit the axiss but it didn't fit so went got the priori xp instead. He's not going in it yet just wanted to save some money in the sales :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I have the Britax first class, I used it rear facing from 13 months till about 20 months. Found it great, but all seat belt group 1 + have the seat belt blocking the way to put baby in.

(baby was very small and underweight, she stayed in the Graco carry tot thing until she was 13 months)

ie:

4d5cb5df.jpg

In this way, iso fix is easier as you always for get the belt is there and get baby caught.

If money was no object I would have bought the maxi cosi one that turns side ways!

I also have a cheaper version from Kiddycare for other halfs car:

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_51_10751_-1_14569_147939_10001_14568

I love it but it is not as easy to reline.

At the moment I'm looking at this for my now 27 month old, so I can move baby in to the First class.:

http://www.toys.ie/Graco-Nautilus-Group-123-Car-Seat-!104349-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=baf14cb9-b485-4568-93e8-1f0ef29f12bd

Any one have one?

Bought the seat above and I love it. She's been in it all day and he has moved into her seat.

Only thing I can say is its heavy, but very sturdy.
    And it has a recline button but the recline is minuscule!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My son is still rear facing at 28 months.

He's 105 cm and about 15 kg.

As with other, we found that the seat belt was too short on our hyundai accent and had to go out and buy a bigger car. we got a renault megane in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Can anyone tell me if the besafe izi combi isofix can be used in a car without isofix and still be rear facing - I know it can be strapped in but forward facing. My car has isofix but my husbands car does not - we are looking for a car rear that can be rear and forward facing in both isofix cars and non. We bought the besafe izi but have not unpackaged it and someone mentioned it can only be forward facing without isofix so now im worried. I might exchange it if this is the case. I want her rear facing until she is 2 and then I don't mind. She's one almost now. We are trying to figure out if we need a car seat for each car or if we can make do with one - the besafe izi combo was v expensive and so I'm terrified of having to spend the same again!! But we do both drive her and I'm not sure swapping cars would work logistically. And now I'm not e en sure the rear facing will work in his:(

Also am I right in saying the britax first class doesn't really recline - so if got that as a second seat it wouldn't be suitable for sleeping on longer journeys?

I've narrowed my an down to.... Is there a group 1 rear facing & forward facing carseat which is non isofix and has a recline function in both positions!
    I like the britax multitech other than the fact it doesn't recline!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

dublinlady wrote: »
    Also am I right in saying the britax first class doesn't really recline - so if got that as a second seat it wouldn't be suitable for sleeping on longer journeys?

Grrrr! Had a comprehensive reply typed but the phone ate it :-(

I've only used the Britax First Class Plus rearfacing, and haven't changed the recline level since I first installed it, but it reclines a lot. I've no idea if it's in the most or least reclined position though.
    Know nothing about it forward facing, but can check the manual tomorrow if nobody else has a better answer.

About the Izi Combo Isofix, you can download the manual from the BeSafe website, so maybe you'll be able to find the answer there.

ash_kay wrote: »

Grrrr! Had a comprehensive reply typed but the phone ate it :-(

I've only used the Britax First Class Plus rearfacing, and haven't changed the recline level since I first installed it, but it reclines a lot. I've no idea if it's in the most or least reclined position though.
    Know nothing about it forward facing, but can check the manual tomorrow if nobody else has a better answer.

About the Izi Combo Isofix, you can download the manual from the BeSafe website, so maybe you'll be able to find the answer there.

Ohhi think that could be the one! Britax first class plus! Thanks! Cos she can be rearward til 13kg... On my way to kealys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

This might sound like a simple question, but my son is 6 months old, about 20lbs but is very long. He's still in the carseat from his travel system with isofix base but I don't know how long more he will get out of it. Because he is so tall, will he have to go into a forward facing seat or do some of the next stage rear facing accommodate for this leg room needed? :)
    I'm completely clueless as I haven't even started looking at the next stage seat yet!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Never worry about leg room but when his head is at the top of the seat it is time to move on to the next seat.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Never worry about leg room but when his head is at the top of the seat it is time to move on to the next seat.
    His head is not too far away from the top, that's why I wanted to start looking into it. I might pop into Halfords or somewhere and have a chat wit them!

Gee_G wrote: »
    His head is not too far away from the top, that's why I wanted to start looking into it. I might pop into Halfords or somewhere and have a chat wit them!

The besafe izi comfort that I just got has leg room and rear faces til 18 kg!
    The other I got for hubbies car which has no isofix is the britax ash_lay recommended and has leg room and Is rear facing to 13kg.
    The besafe is 450 and isofix and the britax is150

The besafe izi comfort that I just got has leg room and rear faces til 18 kg!
    The other I got for hubbies car which has no isofix is the britax ash_lay recommended and has leg room and Is rear facing to 13kg.
    The besafe is 450 and isofix and the britax is150
    Thanks for that! I'll get googling :)

Gee_G wrote: »
    Thanks for that! I'll get googling :)

Forgot to say its the britax first class as the multitech does not recline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hi everyone, no idea about car seats! Expecting twins in May. Buggy takes maxi cosi seats. Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between cabriofix and pebble? Shop says babies will be able to use pebble for longer. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

Can anyone tell me if the besafe izi combi isofix can be used in a car without isofix and still be rear facing - I know it can be strapped in but forward facing. My car has isofix but my husbands car does not - we are looking for a car rear that can be rear and forward facing in both isofix cars and non. We bought the besafe izi but have not unpackaged it and someone mentioned it can only be forward facing without isofix so now im worried. I might exchange it if this is the case. I want her rear facing until she is 2 and then I don't mind. She's one almost now. We are trying to figure out if we need a car seat for each car or if we can make do with one - the besafe izi combo was v expensive and so I'm terrified of having to spend the same again!! But we do both drive her and I'm not sure swapping cars would work logistically. And now I'm not e en sure the rear facing will work in his:(

Did u find out if the beware ISI can be used rearfacing in non isofix car, I.e. seatbelt,
    Finding this all very complicated. Not many options for keeping baby rearfacing . Also now understand why people with children going round in massive cars,

skit490 wrote: »
    Did u find out if the beware ISI can be used rearfacing in non isofix car, I.e. seatbelt,
    Finding this all very complicated. Not many options for keeping baby rearfacing . Also now understand why people with children going round in massive cars,

The besafe izi combi only suitable for isofix rear facing - we bought a britax first class which is non isofix for my OH's car and can be reclined rearfacing until 13kg. That was the best I could find rear faing non isofix time period!!

It's so complicated... U need to be sure of what u want and then visit somewhere good for advise like kealys and bring a pen & paper to help u remember the main points f each one... Otherwise u forget what's what!! Then u pick the one that closest fits ur needs!

We bought the besafe izi combi for my car - as its rear facing longer but my car has isofix. If I didn't I would have bought two of the britax - the non isofix is much cheaper - it's just not as safe I think!

Minefield!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skit490

The besafe izi combi only suitable for isofix rear facing - we bought a britax first class which is non isofix for my OH's car and can be reclined rearfacing until 13kg. That was the best I could find rear faing non isofix time period!!

It's so complicated... U need to be sure of what u want and then visit somewhere good for advise like kealys and bring a pen & paper to help u remember the main points f each one... Otherwise u forget what's what!! Then u pick the one that closest fits ur needs!

We bought the besafe izi combi for my car - as its rear facing longer but my car has isofix. If I didn't I would have bought two of the britax - the non isofix is much cheaper - it's just not as safe I think!

Minefield!
    Yes its a. Minefield! My little one is in hip brace at moment for hip dysplasia , which complicates things further. Wanted to buy a rearfacing one that wud last now but not sure I can now as can't be sure she won't b in a spica cast in years time. Have to take her out ofbrace to put her in her current group 0 car seat. Was going to get a britax first class, but although she fit in it with the brace on there was a gap o between her lower back and the seat so don't think it was very good fit. N the besafe fit but so expensive plus one car (main one I use)doesn't have isofix. Beware did look the beesknees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

skit490 wrote: »
    Yes its a. Minefield! My little one is in hip brace at moment for hip dysplasia , which complicates things further. Wanted to buy a rearfacing one that wud last now but not sure I can now as can't be sure she won't b in a spica cast in years time. Have to take her out ofbrace to put her in her current group 0 car seat. Was going to get a britax first class, but although she fit in it with the brace on there was a gap o between her lower back and the seat so don't think it was very good fit. N the besafe fit but so expensive plus one car (main one I use)doesn't have isofix. Beware did look the beesknees though.

I read about a parent who had a child in a spica cast IIRC on the ERF page on fb. (Link Here) I can't remember what the seat was but it would be worth looking up :)

Edit: It was an adapted Britax Two Way Elite, ordered from carseat.se

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Looking at the maxi cosi mobi, britax hiway or max way, anyone have any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

Ginny wrote: »
    Looking at the maxi cosi mobi, britax hiway or max way, anyone have any of these?

Sigh! Another post for me in the car seat mega thread. It seems that I've become quite a car seat geek :o

Yes, I have a Britax Max Way. It's a pretty compact sized seat considering that it goes up to 25kg. I have a Golf IV and it fits relatively neatly. Actually, at first glance, it wasn't much bigger that the Britax First Class Plus it replaced, but the seat is far wider and the back is higher. The front passenger seat needs to be pushed quite a bit forward but not fully. What is a pain is not being able to move the front seat at all because the Max Way is tethered to the seat in front for stability.

It's worth noting that fitting it is not a straightforward job. It's not particularly difficult but takes a bit of time to get it secure in all directions. I don't think it's a seat that you would regularly swap between cars (just in case that was something you were considering) . Maybe if you had a another set of tether straps that you could leave in the second car it would be a possibility. But, I think that this is probably a problem that you're going to face with every non-isofix rear-facing seat.

It reclines quite a bit, but because the back seat in my car slopes backwards, the recline of the Max Way got equalised, if you get what I mean. When my little one was younger, her head used to sometimes slump forward when sleeping so I put a folded up towel under the front of the (rear facing) car seat. I'm pretty sure that's not approved behaviour, though. Once she reached about 12 months, that didn't seem to be a problem anymore so I removed the towel.

We ended up getting a BeSafe Izi x3 Combi for my husband's car, and to be honest, for the easy of installation alone, I think I prefer that one. But, the clear advantages that I think the Max Way has over the Izi are higher sides and a belt release mechanism that doesn't hurt my nails evey time I press it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Really have to get picking my car seat. My daughter is almost 18 months & still in her graco baby seat. Only 21 lbs, but her head is nearly at the top.

Thinking of going for the Two Way Elite - someone I know has one, so they've said I can pop down & make sure it fits in my car before ordering it from Simon in Incarsaftey in Belfast. Someone I know bought one about 2 weeks ago & it cost €260, so not too bad really. Going to buy a 2nd set of tethers & see how it works moving it to my Child Minders car 2 days a week.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Check your seat rails for the front seats, first off make sure you can fit your hand under both of them, we can't, so we may have to get some d rings fitted to the seat rails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Ginny wrote: »
    Check your seat rails for the front seats, first off make sure you can fit your hand under both of them, we can't, so we may have to get some d rings fitted to the seat rails.

Is that for me Ginny? I'm hoping the girl that's letting me try hers knows how to fit it, so can give me tips. I know I probably should make the trip up to Belfast myself, but doesn't really suit at the min. Raging I didn't get it sorted a week or two ago & then I could have gone to Car Seat fitting roadshows that were on over the weekend & made sure it was securely fitted.

Advertisement