Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,089 ✭✭✭mosstin

Adrian_Crowley_I_See_Three_Birds_Flying.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mrs. Draper

alt-j.jpg

An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. Hadn't heard of them before picking up the album, easily one of my favourites of the year so far, some cracking songs on it. No Irish dates yet unfortunately.

Am I the only one that got into these guys after hearing 'fitzpleasure' on an episode of Weeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

cover_115391382012_r.jpg
    Caspian released their new album today. If your into sigur ros and post rock type stuff their well worth a listen. The full album can be streamed on their site http://www.caspianmusic.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

dinosaur-jr-i-bet-on-sky.png?w=470

The new Dinosaur Jr album I Bet On Sky is really starting to grow on me over the past week. It's as good as Beyond and Farm but I wouldn't go comparing to their 80's stuff. Good album though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

068.jpg

She played on the last Bonnie Prince Billy album, one of those voices that will either click with you in a big way or have the opposite effect and turn you away.

http://batheticrecords.com/half_way_home/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Am I the only one that got into these guys after hearing 'fitzpleasure' on an episode of Weeds?

Probably not... but i just bought the song on your recommendation... then bought the whole album...

Liking it so far.

:D

alt-j.jpg

I'm a convert. Best of the year.

Its been a pretty thin year though.

:pac:

tame-impala-lonerism-300x.jpg
    Tame Impala - Lonerism

Even better than Innerspeaker and surely one of the best albums of the year for me. They still sound a lot like later-era Beatles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm a convert. Best of the year.

Its been a pretty thin year though.

:pac:

I think it's been a great year for music.
    Zero1986 wrote: »
    tame-impala-lonerism-300x.jpg
    Tame Impala - Lonerism

Even better than Innerspeaker and surely one of the best albums of the year for me. They still sound a lot like later-era Beatles though.

Yeah, this is one of my favourites of the year too. Can't stop listening to it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

img-the-carpenter-cover-700-1.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭one man clappin

450_bobmould_silverage_900px.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Chelsea-Wolfe-Unknown-Rooms.jpg

liking this at the moment

63ce0528.jpg

new Godspeed LongPlayer

Grizzly-Bear-Shields.jpg

Cracking Stuff

niallo76 wrote: »
    63ce0528.jpg

new Godspeed LongPlayer
    A great comeback album. It's not quite as good as F#A#oo or Lift Yr. Skinny Fists... but it's a welcome addition to their catalog. It's a nice digestible album too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Halfway thru streaming the Godspeed album....worth waiting 10 years for

Edit: Love the pots and pans percussion at the end of track 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I'm listening to Cat Power's new one for the first time. Initial impression; it's extremely strange! She's using synths! And was that auto-tune I heard on track 4? So different from her normal stuff, which is really brave after a long absence. I think once I get past the initial WTF-ness of it all I'm gonna really like this album! :)

Any other thoughts out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

I'm listening to Cat Power's new one for the first time. Initial impression; it's extremely strange! She's using synths! And was that auto-tune I heard on track 4? So different from her normal stuff, which is really brave after a long absence. I think once I get past the initial WTF-ness of it all I'm gonna really like this album! :)

Any other thoughts out there?

who is cat powers..thinking stehanie or austin mashup ..could be wrong though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

New Dinosaur Jr. album is very good indeed. Bit different to other albums in that there's quite a few slower songs, most of which are glorious though. 'Almost Fare' and 'Don't Pretend You Didn't Know' are highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

New Dinosaur Jr. album is very good indeed. Bit different to other albums in that there's quite a few slower songs, most of which are glorious though. 'Almost Fare' and 'Don't Pretend You Didn't Know' are highlights.

Yeah, it is very good. However, I think it'll require a few more listens before I decide if it's as good as Farm.

notnumber wrote: »
    who is cat powers..thinking stehanie or austin mashup ..could be wrong though?

I first heard cat power doing a major tom cover for a Lincoln tv ad.

So i bought her album, The Greatest. Its good. She's been around for awhile but I dont know much about her except she had a serious booze problem.

Sorry...i realize this isnt under 30 days old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

InTheTrees wrote: »
    So i bought her album, The Greatest. Its good. She's been around for awhile but I dont know much about her except she had a serious booze problem.

She's also responsible for inspiring one of my favourite albums of all time - Knock, Knock by Smog.

1350654544_mm657a.jpg

The second album from Dublin's very own post-hardcore/math-rock noiseniks BATS and the last release ever on Richter Collective. It really is a fantastic album and a great send-off for the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

New Trail Of Dead is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 48 recordwatch

Here's a track off a new album by Tamaryn, a vocalist who's from New Zealand, but is now living in San Francisco, California.

The Band: Tamaryn
    The Album: Tender New Signs
    The Track: The Garden

Here's the link to a short Wikipedia article on the band:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamaryn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

New Trail Of Dead is top notch

I sense a lot of divided opinion on that one. I was a big fan of "Tao of the Dead" and "Worlds Apart", but I'm not getting into "Lost Songs" at all. It's noisy and messy, and definitely a throwback to their early material, but just doesn't have the same melodies, as far as I can tell.

Also, a lot of the vocals sound (deliberately) underproduced.

--
    Angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Danielle_A

Jake Bugg's debut album is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0oPg1h8fQ

• Registered Users Posts: 43 citybhoy

Danielle_A wrote: »
    Jake Bugg's debut album is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY0oPg1h8fQ

X2
    Great debut form the young fella.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

Really Liking their sound..posted 'no wings' in the share thread already..

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=Saturday+Captains

Irish musicians Brendan Tallon and Barry O’Mahony. In the mid-1990s Tallon grafted in Dublin band Revelino, whose mix of surging guitars and punch-yer-face pop melodies won them a friend in John Peel. O’Mahony was in mid-1990s Dublin band Luggage, who was also liked by Peel. These bands split up, as happens, but love of music has remained, and Saturday Captains seem the kind to carry on without the attendent hang-ups and/or issues that bedevil the younger self. Tallon, for instance, apparently hasn’t lost his knack for creating memorable tunes; there’s nothing on this low-key debut that lacks for want of smarts. Indeed, the band even channels their inner Krautrock motorik spirit on the instrumental Kiss of Life. But it’s the remaining highly likeable indie-pop tunes that linger most.

From..irishtimes.com

Advertisement