Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick-Foynes Rail Line

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Was at the concrete works in Limerick Fri & there was a non-stop procession of heavy lorries going in & out - it's a disgrace the railway was allowed to pull out!

Modern companies use Just-In-Time stock keeping. There is no place for hoarding of large amounts of stock and as a result railfreight just dosn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

corktina wrote: »
    On the face of it, but did the railway go where those lorries were heading?

I wonder, did anyone even bother to find out, indeed, are they watching the current situation for possible openings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Joko wrote: »
    Modern companies use Just-In-Time stock keeping. There is no place for hoarding of large amounts of stock and as a result railfreight just dosn't cut it.

What does this mean exactly? How do companies get their stock - teleportation. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

Well I know that building sites that are tight for space have detailed plans on when exactly a load of concrete will be poured and they have it delivered at the time of the day it is needed so they dont have to take up space storing it. With rail you'd have to be ready when the train arrives.

pigtown wrote: »
    Well I know that building sites that are tight for space have detailed plans on when exactly a load of concrete will be poured and they have it delivered at the time of the day it is needed so they dont have to take up space storing it. With rail you'd have to be ready when the train arrives.

The cement products delivered by rail were either bagged (on pallets) or bulk which went into silos at rail depots - it wasn't readmix concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

The cement products delivered by rail were either bagged (on pallets) or bulk which went into silos at rail depots - it wasn't readmix concrete.

So how come the railway managed to lose such valuable traffic?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jim Martin wrote: »
    So how come the railway managed to lose such valuable traffic?

The cement factory in Mungret is closed completely. I believe Platin isn't producing as much as it was either.

MYOB wrote: »
    The cement factory in Mungret is closed completely. I believe Platin isn't producing as much as it was either.

Irish Cement don't appear to agree with you. :D

http://www.irishcement.ie/operations/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Irish Cement don't appear to agree with you. :D

http://www.irishcement.ie/operations/

I've driven past Mungret in the past weeks. Its most certainly closed.

Either that, or they have trucks that can drive over large boulders....

It may be a case that only part of the site is operational, however the entire N69 frontage is not. Demand for cement in Ireland has, understandably, collapsed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What about the main entrance off the Roundabout MYOB??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You mean this entrance that was already closed several years ago when Google Streetview was being taken?

Or this entrance that was open last time I was down(late February)?

More than one entrance was closed.

All I can find by searching is references to various different layoffs over recent years so it would appear they've seriously scaled down production if its not closed.

The traffic that was coming out of there by rail isn't coming out there on anything, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

MYOB wrote: »
    I've driven past Mungret in the past weeks. Its most certainly closed.

Either that, or they have trucks that can drive over large boulders....

It may be a case that only part of the site is operational, however the entire N69 frontage is not. Demand for cement in Ireland has, understandably, collapsed.

Trucks haven't come directly onto the N69 from the factory in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just passed Childers Road there and the Foynes line and Cement Factory like have been covered over with tar mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

For anybody who might be interested, both the Foynes line and the branch to Castlemungret have now been disconnected by the removal of the level crossing at Rathbane on Childers road.
    Just passed Childers Road there and the Foynes line and Cement Factory like have been covered over with tar mac.

As far as I know the Foynes line is also disconnected from the network at Limerick Station and some panels have been lifted further out the line.

Wonderful news. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know (roughly) the last time the Castlemungret section of the line was used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Does anyone know (roughly) the last time the Castlemungret section of the line was used?

For cement it think it was around may 09, for shale maybe September/October 09. There was a empty stock transfer on 24/06/2010.

Cheers Flyingsnail! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

For cement it think it was around may 09, for shale maybe September/October 09. There was a empty stock transfer on 24/06/2010.

My Goodness. Tricky Dicky's timescales are shortening as rail liberalisation appears on the horizon.

• Advertisement

I think that you're being overly optimistic as this is the critical piece in the article 'could be re-opened if there was sufficient traffic to create a good business case to do so' - the classic get-out clause. Love to see it and a perhaps a heritage operation to Foynes but it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

I think that you're being overly optimistic as this is the critical piece in the article 'could be re-opened if there was sufficient traffic to create a good business case to do so' - the classic get-out clause. Love to see it and a perhaps a heritage operation to Foynes but it won't happen.

You'd imagine there might be some small potential for a heritage/history tourist thing on the line. Especially if Foynes started to attract more cruise liners, and with the track providing a link to Adare it might prove popular?

Only last month IE tried to remove the gates from the station at Askeaton and replace them with a fence so they mustn't have any serious notions of reopening it.

This was the bit I was focusing on;

“active discussions with Foynes port management are ongoing, as it is currently believed there will be traffic to justify re-opening the route in the foreseeable future”.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Zinc mines are being explored all over Limerick. It will take 3-5 years minimum to commission any of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Shannon Foynes Port Company has launched a 30-year plan to develop port facilities along the Shannon estuary.
    The estuary is the deepest waterway in Ireland and one of the deepest in Europe.
    Its natural deepwater gives it a distinct advantange over other ports in Ireland, as it can handle the huge container ships being developed with the expansion of the Panama Canal.
    The port company facilitates €6 billion worth of international trade at its ports in a year, and over a third of the country's bulk container traffic now transits the estuary.
    It handles 10 million tonnes of cargo and is growing at around 8% a year.
    The plan charts the development of Foynes port and Limerick docks over the next 30 years.
    The development will allow the company to take complete commercial advantage of the estuary's natural deepwater.
    Minister for Transport Leo Varadkar today launched the plan, which is known as Vision 2041.
    He said Shannon Foynes is an important asset for the southwest of Ireland and he welcomed the company's goal to attract significant international investment.
    A new deep water berth will be built at Foynes and over 300 acres of extra land will be developed to build new warehousing and facilities.
    In addition the Foynes-Limerick railway line could be reopened to facilitate new trade and the road infrastructure, in particular the N69, would need to be radically improved.
    Future business at the estuary is also being governed by events at the Panama Canal, which is being expanded and will be accommodating supersize container vessels of 80,000 tonnes by 2015.
    The natural deep waters of the estuary will be a distinct advantage in what is known as the post-pamamax era.
    As a result the Shannon Foynes Port Company is to begin talks with IDA Ireland to attract more foreign direct investment and bring more employment to the entire Shannon estuary region.
    Shannon Foynes Port Company Chairman Michael Collins said that while ambitious and challenging, the projected growth in the plan is more than achievable.
    "With the unrivalled opportunity we have due to our deepwater and emergence of larger vessels, we have a unique opportunity here that we need to take advantage of. For these reasons, the estuary is one of the jewels in the nation's crown from an investment potential perspective," Mr Collins said.

What's new in this? The same old guff has been spouted for years with no sign of any reopening. The Foynes line is more likely to become a Greenway than reopen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i just can't see where all this container traffic could be going to/coming from.

Also 10 million tonnes of cargo? really?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

corktina wrote: »
    i just can't see where all this container traffic could be going to/coming from.

Also 10 million tonnes of cargo? really?
    It won't all be for Ireland apparently. Foynes according to the report is a really deep dock capable of ships that other countries further into Europe can't take so I reckon the idea would be to dock in Foynes, transport the cargo by road and rail to Rosslare and Dublin and let smaller ships continue on onto the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

flazio wrote: »
    It won't all be for Ireland apparently. Foynes according to the report is a really deep dock capable of ships that other countries further into Europe can't take so I reckon the idea would be to dock in Foynes, transport the cargo by road and rail to Rosslare and Dublin and let smaller ships continue on onto the continent.

Yep, I knew someone would say that. :rolleyes:

If thats what the Foynes people are thinking will happen, then this project is doomed to fail. The Economics of that are clearly MAD.

Advertisement