Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-11-2020, 22:27   #1936
slave1
Moderator
 
slave1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,352
Mod: Golf, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
No second inverter? I already have 6.2kwp. If I doubled it I'd have 12.4kwp and a 5kw inverter.

Presumably that would be OK now when generation is low but much of August and lots of September I was regularly getting the max from the inverter.
That many panels would invalidate any inverter warranty, worth noting
slave1 is offline  
Advertisement
23-11-2020, 22:28   #1937
DrPhilG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1 View Post
That many panels would invalidate any inverter warranty, worth noting
That's my point, I'm the one saying I'd need either a bigger inverter or a second one.
DrPhilG is offline  
23-11-2020, 22:45   #1938
championc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
No second inverter? I already have 6.2kwp. If I doubled it I'd have 12.4kwp and a 5kw inverter.

Presumably that would be OK now when generation is low but much of August and lots of September I was regularly getting the max from the inverter.
If you hit the max in August or September days, when midsummers day is 21 June, it sounds like you could be feeding way over your inverter capacity in those good high sun months.

Be VERY careful of the voltage during these cold winter sunshine days. I remember last year how surprised I was to see total volts well higher on cloudless days in January and February than in the summer.
championc is offline  
23-11-2020, 22:52   #1939
DrPhilG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by championc View Post
If you hit the max in August or September days, when midsummers day is 21 June, it sounds like you could be feeding way over your inverter capacity in those good high sun months.
So what's the solution, other than a bigger inverter?

Most installations as far as I've seen tend to have higher panel capacity than the inverter handles.
DrPhilG is offline  
23-11-2020, 23:30   #1940
graememk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhilG View Post
So what's the solution, other than a bigger inverter?

Most installations as far as I've seen tend to have higher panel capacity than the inverter handles.
Yeah second inverter but it will have to be able to monitor the export and not allow any more than 6kw to be put on the grid. (more CTs!)
graememk is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-11-2020, 10:37   #1941
AnswerIs42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Quote:

- 4.5 10 panel kw system (JA Solar)
- 5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter
- 2.4 pylon battery
- 10 optimisers

€5.5k after grant.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited by AnswerIs42; 24-11-2020 at 11:36.
AnswerIs42 is offline  
24-11-2020, 12:10   #1942
irishchris
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWesterly View Post
How much are you generating these days
Had installed for three weeks off October and production was better than I expected. This month though had been a wash out as expected and only generated 62 kWh so far for november
irishchris is offline  
24-11-2020, 17:43   #1943
MAULBROOK
Registered User
 
MAULBROOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnswerIs42 View Post
Quote:

- 4.5 10 panel kw system (JA Solar)
- 5 KW Solis Hybrid inverter
- 2.4 pylon battery
- 10 optimisers

€5.5k after grant.

Thoughts on this?
Why the optimisers out of interest.
MAULBROOK is online now  
24-11-2020, 17:45   #1944
AnswerIs42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAULBROOK View Post
Why the optimisers out of interest.
Shadows across the roof from trees all around the house
AnswerIs42 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-11-2020, 13:11   #1945
Tradnuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 152
Panel Direction

Hi Peeps,
I'm about to pull the trigger with my setup.
I will post the quotes when i have decided on my installer.

I have two questions about the panel direction setup.

I'm getting 15 panels in total.
I have a South Roof extension on the house, enough for 5 panels.
This leaves 10 panels to place either on my west roof or my east roof, as i can only have 2 strings into the inverter (as I understand it).
Would east or west be better for these 10?


OR,
Would i be better to just put them all on the east/west setup? with nothing on the south?
Thanks for your advice/ opinion...
Tradnuts is offline  
26-11-2020, 14:00   #1946
graememk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradnuts View Post
Hi Peeps,
I'm about to pull the trigger with my setup.
I will post the quotes when i have decided on my installer.

I have two questions about the panel direction setup.

I'm getting 15 panels in total.
I have a South Roof extension on the house, enough for 5 panels.
This leaves 10 panels to place either on my west roof or my east roof, as i can only have 2 strings into the inverter (as I understand it).
Would east or west be better for these 10?


OR,
Would i be better to just put them all on the east/west setup? with nothing on the south?
Thanks for your advice/ opinion...
Is anyone in the house in the middle of the day?

If not, the E/W would be a good option as it catches the sun early when people are in the house, and then also late when people come home

If you have enough room for 10... you could nearly get 5 more panels and go 10 on East and 10 on west, should be only 6-700 euro more.

At least go for 16 panels, 8 and 8.

you'll get less of a peak at mid day but a longer generation period. (and likely to export a lot at the mid day peak on a good day)... huh, another use of flattening the curve!

Overall there will be less generation, but you'll have more useful generation.
graememk is online now  
(2) thanks from:
26-11-2020, 14:31   #1947
AnswerIs42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradnuts View Post
Hi Peeps,
I'm about to pull the trigger with my setup.
I will post the quotes when i have decided on my installer.

I have two questions about the panel direction setup.

I'm getting 15 panels in total.
I have a South Roof extension on the house, enough for 5 panels.
This leaves 10 panels to place either on my west roof or my east roof, as i can only have 2 strings into the inverter (as I understand it).
Would east or west be better for these 10?


OR,
Would i be better to just put them all on the east/west setup? with nothing on the south?
Thanks for your advice/ opinion...
I found this site helpful in figuring that out: https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/

The key is the Azimuth (deg), it should give you an idea of what you generate east vs west facing
AnswerIs42 is offline  
Thanks from:
26-11-2020, 15:22   #1948
pjordan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 90
My system is being installed today and tomorrow. Thanks to Dr Phil and Worlds goodest teacher for the recommendation.

I got 4 quotes altogether and opted for 4.7 kw system with 12 panels on a South facing roof (had to butcher the top of a big tree shading the roof), 4.8 battery and a hot water divertor.

I'm very excited about it so I'll post some updates on how its going when I get it up and running.

But, for what it's worth, I'm very impressed with the installation process so far, very efficient and progressing at great pace.
pjordan is offline  
26-11-2020, 16:53   #1949
slave1
Moderator
 
slave1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 11,352
Mod: Golf, ZTest
Envious of that aspect
slave1 is offline  
26-11-2020, 19:03   #1950
championc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjordan View Post
But, for what it's worth, I'm very impressed with the installation process so far, very efficient and progressing at great pace.
To be honest, it's reasonably hand for even a DIYer, so installation professionals have it done in no-time. The hardest part is possibly the roof brackets
championc is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet