Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Well water

• 25-11-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks.

Any advice on moving into a house where there is a well. The house hasn't been occupied for about a year although there has been people keeping it maintained, flushing toilets etc.. Is there anything I can do before using for showers etc i.e running the water for a while to start movement again etc I never drink tap water anyway but my husband would.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First thing to do is have the attic tank cleaned out. That may involve removing it from position and bringing it outside to clean it. Or even replace it.

Next you will want to ensure there is a proper treatment system in place for the water. That means a mixture of Filters and UV treatment. Make sure filters are changed first

Many places have just filters and thats ok but the UV is an additional step to remove bacteria from the supply , important depending on the supply.

Id get the water tested from the main source tap too once the filters are changed to see what the water condition is like.There are companies that can do this for you see google you send a sample in. I believe can also be done regionally by local authority if sample is sent.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Before going to an trouble and extra expense, I'd ask a local plumber to give it the once over. Maybe make a list of things you'd like checked, but he should know anyway.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cup full of Milton into a clean attic tank and run all taps/showers until Milton smell disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd say get the water tested. Before shelling out for filtration ect ...
    If you do decide you need / want a uv filter don't bother filtering the entire supply ... Usually the kit hen tap ( ie. Drinking water will do fine ) . Unless there's something very nasty going on there's no need to filter uv filter the water you use to flush the loo or shower with ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement