Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Led lights

• 15-08-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi i want to add some led lighting to the inside of the back of my van. I have 3 wires going into light in back. Black , red , brown. I have to use black and brown as red is constant live. However when i connect the led they only come on when cabin light goes off. I want them all coming on together i would appreciate any help.
    Thanking you.
    John barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Need more info. Where are those wires coming from, how have you wired them up etc... sounds like there's a switched live or neutral in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnspark

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi i want to add some led lighting to the inside of the back of my van. I have 3 wires going into light in back. Black , red , brown. I have to use black and brown as red is constant live. However when i connect the led they only come on when cabin light goes off. I want them all coming on together i would appreciate any help.
    Thanking you.
    John barry

Just connect the new DC led directly into the light connection in the back so they come on when that Existing comes on , you may need to strip the insulation off the cables on original light but if you could Solder it on and tape it up it should work , you may have to increase the fuse size depending if it blows the fuse

Need more info. Where are those wires coming from, how have you wired them up etc... sounds like there's a switched live or neutral in there somewhere.

Yeah Just Sounds to be wired in wrong accidentally

Johnspark wrote: »
    Just connect the new DC led directly into the light connection in the back so they come on when that Existing comes on , you may need to strip the insulation off the cables on original light but if you could Solder it on and tape it up it should work , you may have to increase the fuse size depending if it blows the fuse

I’m not an auto sparks , but I am an industrial Electrical
    Tech , But its safe enough to experiment with it to figure out what your correct connection should be , worst case you’ll pop a fuse , when just make sure to not leave cabling exposed from stripping back insulation.

It should just be a positive and negative connection , what year and model van is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Hi thanks alot for the replys. Its a 151 combo van. It has 3 wires going to connector in cabin light. Red , brown and black. I didnt want to wire directly to tirminals.at bulb so i used the black and red wire as.black was neutral and red.was constant live but i fitted on/off switch to it. It seemed to work

• Advertisement
Advertisement