Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Epsom derby 2020 Help

• 17-08-2019 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi everyone

Hoping to organise a trip to the Epsom Derby 2020 for a group of friends.Would anyone have info re tickets prices,recommended places to stay etc
    As you have probably figured out I am not a avid race goer so any help at all would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You might ask in the horse racing forum. I don't know a lot about racing myself.

Here are some packages for ticket prices.

https://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/epsom/events-tickets/epsom-derby/tickets/

Some places to stay.

https://www.thejockeyclub.co.uk/epsom/visitor-info/accommodation-where-to-stay/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

You probably are not going in 2020 because of the coronavirus.
    I see the Oaks and Derby are scheduled to run on the same day in July 2020, probably with no spectators.

I went to the Oaks (Friday) and Derby (Saturday) for many years.
    My usual routine was to fly out on a very early Aer Lingus flight from Dublin, and get the underground into London.
    I dropped my bag at the hotel, and made my way to Epsom racecourse, often arriving at about 11:30, a few times before the grandstand opened.
    My hotel was the Jury Inn, Pentonville Road, Islington, north London. The hotel was new then.
    I stayed there the first year it opened (1998?). It is now the "DoubleTree by Hilton London Angel Kings Cross".

The reason for staying in central London was transport - airport to hotel by underground, hotel to racecourse by underground and mainline train.
    From the hotel it was a few hundred yards walk to Angel underground station, Northern(?) line to King's Cross, change to the Victoria(?) line, and at Victoria underground station upstairs to the Victoria mainline train station. Buy a rail ticket to Tattenham Corner (return), buy the Racing Post, have a snack, get off the train at East Croyden, change platforms to get on the train to Tattenham Corner. The racecourse is a few hundred yards walk from Tattenham Corner. Victoria to Tattenham Corner is about a one hour train trip.

Often coming back from Tattenham Corner I ended up in London Bridge underground station (probably took the first train available), but it is easy to find your way on the underground map.

Advertisement