Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it stupid to buy a petrol/diesel car in 2019?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're possibly incorrect. Battery is usually guaranteed for 8 years but it doesn't become worthless. A few cells may need replacing or at worst a new battery. In a few years there will be plenty offering the service. The rest of the car IWT will hold up much better than an ICE. Look at all the wearing parts that are absent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Many years away, i can see the demise of most petrol stations, also public charging, people will charge at home and places of work.
    Yes petrol and diesel will be here for decades still, but just like xtravision and hmv, sadly found out, times change and nothing stays the same forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think there will be a need for ice cars for a long time yet. EV are definitely going to be replacing a lot of them over time. But not all.

I see an interesting article yesterday in a parallel situation. The sale of electric bicycles have overtaken the sale of ordinary bicycles in 2018 in the Netherlands.
    So once the full range of options become available, people will readily switch to EVs.
    Remember the electric bicycle bought in the Netherlands is not a cheap Chinese model and is about twice the price of an ordinary bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

Cars are one thing but what about all the oil boilers in the country heating house's?

I just think it's funny how anyone thinks their car is going to be worth a fortune in 5 years..whether it's ice or ev.. worst case you're on PCP and you loose any equity you might have thought you had above the guaranteed future value in the contract.. in that case I'd just keep the car drive it till it dies.. there's no reason if you have the right ice car for the type of driving you do it wouldn't easily last ten years.. the right driving meaning petrol for short journeys and only diesel if you do journeys where it will be regularly and full temp for most of the journey.. we have a petrol jazz that only does about 4k km every year and my wife is actively hoping a tree falls on it or something so we can justify changing it.. will the same be said for a 10 year old ev? How will the battery stand up? I'd love to swap it out for an ev but the car is costing us so little it's very hard to justify replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

going by Ireland's pace many will buy petrols diesels for another decade at least.

Theres no goverment incentives to buy EV, if one can drop 30k+ on a new car, i doubt many will skimp to have some mid range EV, as many as is already buy bare minimum spec shells.

battery life is major factor, well cared engine could last 10-20 years, batteries dont, and second hand market for that is hard to spend 5-10k to get new one in.

as looking on donedeal on can pickup leaf with small mileage under 10k easily, and yes theres quite few of them on the roads now, but 2019, might as well be down to 2029 choice is still poor range is questionable, no proper infrastructure outside main cities and towns.

In 2029 probably no diesel cars on the road IWT. I would see the new diesel market really decrease by 2022.

Yes, heating older houses is a problem. They would need serious upgrade to switch to A2W. Any other options require work. May be wood gasification or wood pellets, sorry off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Early 2018 was a slow EV sales period. The 2018 Irish best selling EV Nissan LEAF 40 kWh wasn't out until about April and the stocks of the previous generation had dried by that stage. Very few IONIQ and eGolf available also. Kind of like Jan 2016 where The LEAF 30 kWh deliveries were delayed and the sales were down compared to 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Water John wrote: »
    I see an interesting article yesterday in a parallel situation. The sale of electric bicycles have overtaken the sale of ordinary bicycles in 2018 in the Netherlands.
    So once the full range of options become available, people will readily switch to EVs.
    Remember the electric bicycle bought in the Netherlands is not a cheap Chinese model and is about twice the price of an ordinary bicycle.

Everyone already has loads of bicycles there and they last forever. The only reason to buy a new one is if your old one got stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Judging by some comments here, you would think EV was only invented yesterday.
    EV's were out for decades, ( forklifts, electric buggies, golf cars, etc) and not so much cars, because of their poor range, complexity and cost of the product and the battery.

And very little has changed since, except the emissions control is getting tougher and tougher and manufactures have no choice but to sway into EV world, as ICE vehicle have reached their peak.

Lets be realistic here, battery life is still pretty poor, unless you shell out 100k € on 500km range Tesla and similar, the infrastructure is still not quite there yet, not to mention Ireland. ( if you don't have your own granny charger, you are snookered, or constantly out there looking for a free charging space)

Then there's commercial world out there, trucks, vans, machinery, etc. Its going to take years or decades before they are all phased out..

I reckon we are still pretty safe with our oil burners for a good foreseeable future anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Xpro wrote: »

I reckon we are still pretty safe with our oil burners for a good foreseeable future anyways.

People are creatures of habit.

Even if a well specced 40k 500km EV was released tomorrow, you'd still have people butting diesel and petrol for years to come.

Cars are separate from trucks and machinery. You cannot use them as an excuse not to act on cars.
    The solutions for trucks machinery is a bit further down the road, but prototypes of industrial loaders and tractors have been developed by Volvo and John Deere. Both run for 4 hours. The battery industrial loader performed as well as the next higher rated model of diesel.
    An artificial/synthetic diesel may be the solution for them.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-diesel

Here is a new all electric telehandler.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/shock-news-faresin-shows-off-it-electric-telehandler/

I'm sure the animals will appreciate no diesel fumes and less noise in their shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Even if a well specced 40k 500km EV was released tomorrow, you'd still have people butting diesel and petrol for years to come.

Not sure on that one, the second the tax regime was changed in 2008 hordes of people migrated to diesel. Petrol habits were dropped fairly rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Not sure on that one, the second the tax regime was changed in 2008 hordes of people migrated to diesel. Petrol habits were dropped fairly rapidly.

there was a huge difference in tax prices like a 1.9 was 710 and then down to 280 or less depending on car
    that's a big saving while today a lot of diesel cars are around the 200 mark so if EV tax was free id say there would be a bigger migration

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'd be amazed at how people think when buying a new car.

I've seen plenty of people choose cars based on paying 100 euro less tax a year than another option that may suit their needs better or be a better car overall.

The majority of the Irish population have an obsession with 'chape tax'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ning

Major car brands at Geneva motor show only showed electric or plug-in hybrid models

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'd be amazed at how people think when buying a new car.

I've seen plenty of people choose cars based on paying 100 euro less tax a year than another option that may suit their needs better or be a better car overall.

The majority of the Irish population have an obsession with 'chape tax'.

Only since 2008 though.

And the cheapest tax is on EVs, so why aren't they selling better?

The models and range are only now coming on stream. The high priced Kona shows there are plenty buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The models and range are only now coming on stream. The 0% BIK high priced Kona shows there are plenty company buyers availing of tax incentives.

Corrected your post there.

• Advertisement

If one had a profitable company business, one would be daft to buy an EV privately rather than through the co. The BIK bit is a bonus but why spend after tax income on the purchase when it can be billed as a cost.

My point is though, would the same number of EV Konas be sold if there was no company car incentive on them? Anyone who owns their own company or can avail of a company owned car with O% BIK of course would be advised by their accountant to buy one for tax reasons but not simply because it's an EV.

Change is difficult for the majority of humans. There are still only two ways to affect change, the carrot and the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Not possible for me. I commute 78kms a day, mostly motorway driving and I live in an apartment with no designated parking spots so no chance of having a charger installed. So it’s Diesel all the way for me and I suspect there are many more in my situation. You have to get the car that suits your driving needs imho.

A Kona charged once a week. Hardly an imposition.

Change is difficult for the majority of humans. There are still only two ways to affect change, the carrot and the stick.

The only winners are those that dangle the stick and carrot with a vested interest in convincing that change is necessary. It's called consumerism and it's what drives economies - convincing the masses what's best for them and then kick off a boom for demand. It was diesels a decade ago, it's evs now, any bets on what it will be in 10 years time?

Maybe like many people he just doesn't have 38k to spend on a Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

bazz26 wrote: »

The only winners are those that dangle the stick and carrot with a vested interest in convincing that change is necessary. It's called consumerism and it's what drives economies - convincing the masses what's best for them and then kick off a boom for demand. It was diesels a decade ago, it's evs now, any bets on what it will be in 10 years time?

Maybe like many people he just doesn't have 38k to spend on a Kona?
    The Kona is grand if you don't need a car for a family of four and a decent boot... Make an electric Octavia for 33k and 300 km range then I'll buy it

Fully accept that more models and lower price are necessary. Hopefully coming along shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Stupid me.. Mrs just bought a 2019 Diesel.

EV doesn't suit our driving style.
    It's not convenient, or practical.

She's boarder line petrol.. but a petrol variant isn't available , so.. diesel it is.

I'll take it for the odd spin will (,not bring it to its top speed and drive the shytout of it on the public road) to clear the dpf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

there was a huge difference in tax prices like a 1.9 was 710 and then down to 280 or less depending on car
    that's a big saving while today a lot of diesel cars are around the 200 mark so if EV tax was free id say there would be a bigger migration

The shoft in attitude that came with it too, paying 5-700 in tax in 2007 was just standard for most, now in 2019 any car over the 370 euro tax mark devalues like a stone because of how afraid people are of the tax.

Even 570 for something like an e350 mercedes and the country crys out ‘jaysus the tax on that’

Advertisement