Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Light rain starting here in Ballincollig, Co. Cork, and it is starting to get blustery. Barometer dipped to 993 mbar in the last few minutes.

Let's see how this goes.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Calm and clear in Adamstown. Nothing very notable so far anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just stuck my head out the door and it has got quite breezy in Sth Galway since I was last out around 7.30. Can hear the seabirds calling. Wish my cat would return from her walk so I can lock up!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

The Prom in Tramore closed at 3:30pm today (Thursday) as a result of Storm Callum.
    https://www.waterfordlive.ie/gallery/news/341270/tramore-prom-in-county-waterford-closed-ahead-of-storm-callum.html

Damien Tiernan Reporting from Tramore.. https://www.facebook.com/damien.tiernan.9/videos/10155982640210698/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Rumblings beginning in Cork City now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Some on this thread have a great way with words

Love to read Graces updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

It's a lovely night here in Dublin 16, little to no wind and not that cold out. If it wasn’t a school night you could enjoy a few drinks outside. Storm preparations have begun here, the dog has spent the past 15 minutes bringing all her toys inside and securing her food stash out in the garden. It was touch and go there for awhile when she couldn’t find a good hiding place for her rich tea biscuit she clearly stole earlier but all is good now.

It’s a bit strange, everything feels quieter then normal, even the traffic on the M50 is quieter.

I think for Dublin it will be more of a commute issue tomorrow with additional crashes and lights out around the city. I hope everyone stays safe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Will it have all blown over in Dublin come the school run /rush hour in the morning?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

gandalfio wrote: »
    Will it have all blown over in Dublin come the school run /rush hour in the morning?

I don't think so. Strongest winds could be between 4am and 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is indeed a strange intense hush. shivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The wind has picked up in cork city.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I don't think so. Strongest winds could be between 4am and 10am.

I think the worst of it is forecast pre 9am for Dublin city and county

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The wind has picked up in cork city.

Yep, quite a bit actually pretty suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

from ventussky looks like it'll start getting nasty around midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Off asleep now, in work at 0400 in Dublin Airport. Expecting a busy morning, hopefully the worst of it has died off before the first wave departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

MOD NOTE:

This Thread is for discussing Fridays threat of severe weather only. It could get very busy and posters are reminded to stay on topic.

In everybody's best interest their will be a zero tolerance to posters dragging the thread off topic and into disarray , posts will be removed that do not adhere to this request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

froog wrote: »
    from ventussky looks like it'll start getting nasty around midnight tonight.

speaking of ventusky, what do the weather heads here think of that site's reliability? the UI is great anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Not sure if the two threads are clearly enough signposted re techical and chat. Getting difficult to check for any further info or updates.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure if the two threads are clearly enough signposted re techical and chat. Getting difficult to check for any further info or updates.

Not a colossal amount to update at this point! It's going to get windy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

froog wrote: »
    speaking of ventusky, what do the weather heads here think of that site's reliability? the UI is great anyway.

Depends on the model you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I've just seen an FB post from the Tramore Surf School saying
    ...that a new storm cell with stronger winds has formed and is giving stronger winds to hit Waterford tomorrow between 12-3. The news sites haven't picked up on this yet. But the storm and sea forecasting sites are giving an average of 15knots stronger wind to hit us tomorrow. So there is potential for winds of up to 150kph tomorrow at lunchtime. Along with a storm surge due to the high tides...

Is this for real?

I have to drive to Tramore tomorrow getting there before 3pm and I was gauging that Callum would have done it's worst by 1pm so I could leave then but this new info means that it may be better to travel earlier as the winds might not be so bad then.

I've just seen an FB post from the Tramore Surf School saying

Is this for real?

I have to drive to Tramore tomorrow getting there before 3pm and I was gauging that Callum would have done it's worst by 1pm so I could leave then but this new info means that it may be better to travel earlier as the winds might not be so bad then.

Dramatic stuff. Best Left it to the experts at Met eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not a colossal amount to update at this point! It's going to get windy....

True. But when living in a house on a hill looking out at the Atlantic one likes to check in for any mention of track change, etc.

Is this for real?

I think that was the case/was a possibility earlier today, but looks like now that is less likely to happen (....but stay tuned!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ah I just did what I should have done in the first place and checked for an update. Sorry. :D

Although still giving it bad enough. Not sure what the feck to do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

first strong gust in dunmanway

Over 1200 people on the weather forum now. Be prepared for a breakdown! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

600ft up in the McGillycuddys NE of Sneem.

Things getting more stormy by the minute windy and showers, and theres a deep roar high up in the mountains.

Backs sore from clearing drains, and I am out of Jamesons ointment, long night coming.

SB

Advertisement