Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TFI Leap Card Guide & FAQ (Updated Jan 2020)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

Victor wrote: »
    They should be able to do this every month. If they can't just get them to buy monthly tickets at the station.

Not sure what you mean by "If they can't just get them to buy monthly tickets at the station."?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I haven't used the app before, so downloaded it. Phone has Android 8.0 and NFC. Wouldn't read the card at all. Restarted the phone, uninstalled/reinstalled. Spent an hour on hold on the phone only to be told to leave a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I haven't used the app before, so downloaded it. Phone has Android 8.0 and NFC. Wouldn't read the card at all. Restarted the phone, uninstalled/reinstalled. Spent an hour on hold on the phone only to be told to leave a message.
    Check your phone settings to make sure your NFC reader is switched on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Check your phone settings to make sure your NFC reader is switched on

Tag reader and NFC both on. Does nothing. I use Google Pay, so I dunno what the story is with Leap. It just sits there 'hold your Leap Card to your phone' and does nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It can be fairly finicky. The card needs to be right by the chip. The card slides, it loses connection. I also don't think Google pay can be used to pay? I've only ever been prompted with card details to pay with. It doesnt use the nfc chip as a payment method, just to update the card after you've purchased something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tag reader and NFC both on. Does nothing. I use Google Pay, so I dunno what the story is with Leap. It just sits there 'hold your Leap Card to your phone' and does nothing.

Most LG units seem to not support Mifare Classic but do support Ultralight. It may not be able to see the Mifare Desfire EV1 class chip in leaps. Or try Dravokivich's suggestion, passive cards vs emulated cards may be slightly harder to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

On my phone, a Google Pixel with Android 9.0, if I take my Leap Card and hold it against the back of the phone without opening the app first, the app starts automatically but then refuses to read the card. I have to take the card away and present it again. If I start the app manually and then present the card it works OK, but as others have said it can be a bit finnicky and you have to keep the card quite still. If it moves even slightly during the reading process it fails.

Try downloading an NFC tag info app such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nxp.taginfolite&rdid=com.nxp.taginfolite and see if that works.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

markpb wrote: »
    A surprising number of companies feel the overhead of Taxsaver is too much and don’t support it at all or only allow employees to make purchases at fixed intervals throughout the year. I think, but could be wrong, that the HSE and lot of hospitals have this policy so it’s not a small company problem, it’s quite wide-ranging. I also think the NTA are aware of this and trying to change the process so it’s less of a burden on employers.

The most common restriction I've seen is only offering January-December annual purchases. Last employer did that, current one has no such issues and actually has nobody else who runs January-December at all apparently - I bought out the remainder of my ticket when I left so it expires December.

Alun wrote: »
    On my phone, a Google Pixel with Android 9.0, if I take my Leap Card and hold it against the back of the phone without opening the app first, the app starts automatically but then refuses to read the card. I have to take the card away and present it again. If I start the app manually and then present the card it works OK, but as others have said it can be a bit finnicky and you have to keep the card quite still. If it moves even slightly during the reading process it fails.

Try downloading an NFC tag info app such as https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nxp.taginfolite&rdid=com.nxp.taginfolite and see if that works.

I got working eventually the other evening, holding it near the camera. Disappointing that the app doesn't store the card. I'm on my second bus this morning and it won't read it. Trying the above re without opening the app first, it requests location services. Perhaps being on mobile data doesn't help. Leap never returned my call.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I got working eventually the other evening, holding it near the camera. Disappointing that the app doesn't store the card. I'm on my second bus this morning and it won't read it. Trying the above re without opening the app first, it requests location services. Perhaps being on mobile data doesn't help. Leap never returned my call.

Storing the leap card is not going to help at all, as the app will need to connect with the card to write the top up/ticket to the card

• Advertisement

I tried it on a flat surface, a desk. Nothing. I'll try it on Wi-Fi later. The NXP app works.

Read the card straight away on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Anyone know where to find my annual ticket number ?

What are the hours around the daily cap? If I'm coming home on the last Luas at 12.30am, having hit my cap earlier that day (technically, the previous day), do I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find my annual ticket number ?

Your Leap card number is printed on the front of the card, that may be what you're looking for.

What are the hours around the daily cap? If I'm coming home on the last Luas at 12.30am, having hit my cap earlier that day (technically, the previous day), do I have to pay?

Leap card website says:
    Daily Cap = first to last service on any given day.
    Weekly Cap (Mon-Sun) = first service on Monday to last service on Sunday.

Leap card website says:

Thanks. At risk of labouring a point, does 'a given day' end at midnight, or end when the service for that day finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

Thanks. At risk of labouring a point, does 'a given day' end at midnight, or end when the service for that day finishes?

When the service finishes I’m certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Leap card website says:
    Daily Cap = first to last service on any given day.
    Weekly Cap (Mon-Sun) = first service on Monday to last service on Sunday.
    It had been set at about 4am. However, I think Nitelink only gets a fare reduction with the daily / weekly caps, it isn't wholly contained by the cap.

Annual ticket holders are usually free on night services.

Victor wrote: »
    It had been set at about 4am. However, I think Nitelink only gets a fare reduction with the daily / weekly caps, it isn't wholly contained by the cap.

Annual ticket holders are usually free on night services.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I was coming home on the last Luas, having hit the cap earlier in the day. My card had a small negative balance from the last transaction, something like -€1.

When I went to tag on to come home, I got the negative buzz from the machine and the red light. It didn't let me tag on with the negative balance, even though the journey was actually free.

So what's the story - do I need to tag on after hitting the cap? Should I have been allowed to tag on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Your card needs to be in credit. The validator doesn't know anything about your card getting the cap, because it won't initiate a journey with a card without credit.

Your card needs to be in credit. The validator doesn't know anything about your card getting the cap, because it won't initiate a journey with a card without credit.

Thanks - is that a bit of a glitch in the configuration of rules for the validator? What happens if I don't tag on? Could I be fined, even though the fare is zero?

They want the process simple to make the transaction quick. It checks for tickets first, then checks if there's credit to do a journey.

Any talk of fines would be down to which ever service you are using.

They want the process simple to make the transaction quick. It checks for tickets first, then checks if there's credit to do a journey.

Yeah, I get what's happening - but surely if it finds there is no credit, it should also check to see if the cap has already been reached before deciding to reject?

If I travel on the Luas, after being rejected by the validator, having already reached the cap, could I be fined?

The validator updates the purse balance when you tag on/off so it's definitely responsible for applying caps. I'm not sure why the OP couldn't tag on. If it was a luas trip, maybe the cap is applied at tag off?

I don't think any operator will let you on without a ticket. If you're unable to tag on, even if the tag on would be free, then you don't have a ticket.

The validator updates the purse balance when you tag on/off so it's definitely responsible for applying caps. I'm not sure why the OP couldn't tag on. If it was a luas trip, maybe the cap is applied at tag off?

I don't think any operator will let you on without a ticket. If you're unable to tag on, even if the tag on would be free, then you don't have a ticket.

He couldn't tag on because he had no credit. They had already fulfilled the cap.

He couldn't tag on because he had no credit. They had already fulfilled the cap.

That's the key question for me. Is it a 'bug' that I wasn't allowed to tag on, and would I be liable for a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m planning on making a journey on the DART to Connolly and then take the maynooth commuter train. Do I need to tag off and tag on again at Connolly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭wench

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m planning on making a journey on the DART to Connolly and then take the maynooth commuter train. Do I need to tag off and tag on again at Connolly?
    No, that's all one journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

wench wrote: »
    No, that's all one journey.

Would it be the same if I was to take the LUAS to Connolly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement