Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Conyngham Road may have a number of issues, since...

in Phase Two they only lost the 25 (Mon-Fri 22 buses and 39 drivers) but gained the 26+L53 (MF: 20B 36D) and L54 (MF: 9B? 14D), an increase of 7 buses and 11 drivers. Furthermore, it's not at all unlikely that a number of the 25 drivers may have opted to follow the road and transfer to Phibsboro or Ringsend for the C1/C2.

and now in Phase Four they lost the 13, 40, and 79/A, a total of 36 buses, but gained the G1+G2 and 60, a total of 32-33 buses - so seemingly less buses on the road, but some of the 13 drivers may have opted to also follow the road when it transferred fully over to Harristown, for whom it's another major PVR increase after the N4 that, let's be honest, came out of nowhere. (I'd be surprised if there was a major move of CNR 40 drivers to HST as the ones who are on the job long enough would have been 78 drivers previously, and if we're sentimental enough then the G2 replaced the 78 that's been masquerading as a 40).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be honest, right now there are still ongoing cancellations and curtailments across the DB network.

It is not a specific garage issue but a general shortage of staff.

Launching a new service requiring more staff when you can’t staff the existing services is just insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Locals going mental. Despite driver familiarisation the 60 missed a stop on the quays outbound and the last 2 mornings the 7am 60 to the city took the wrong side of claddagh green and missed the stop leaving people stranded. Hardly the drivers fault as the driver instruction leaflet said turn right to spiddal road and take 3rd turn left to claddagh green. The stop is on the other side of the green and is the 4th left. So he was probably unaware of his mistake. The timetable fell apart at school time again today. 13.30 60 reached spiddal Park at 14.35. The evening 16.30 and 17.30 the last 2 days took 74 mins to spiddal park meaning 90 plus to finish the route. Running time is 56 mins. The 79 took 40-50 mins and that was with serving cherry orchard as well. One girl said she was crying with frustration at the length of time she was on the g1 this morning

Just as well that the 60 does have 30 mins layover time at each end between trips so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was wondering why the 60 was taking so long, then I looked and it’s going through Clondalkin Village?? I assumed it was going the same way as the G1.

Great on paper, terrible in reality.

• Advertisement

People seem happy enough with the 60 route bar it missing tesco stop in ballyfermot. Its the frequency they have a problem with. The 60 should see increased passenger numbers from clondalkin village when the 76 goes. People will have to get w2 and switch to g2 on neilstown road or go to liffey valley and get s4 or get a g2 and do part of the journey twice. 60 will be a direct service to ballyfermot for schools. Hard to credit that the 60 wasn't in the original plan. Its been a godsend for some the last few days with people opting to wait for it rather than use the Gs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I pointed this out to Bus Connects in the public consultation after their very first design.

It looks fine on paper but it's an awful bottleneck, particularly at the Central Bar where you have two (one-way) lanes, and buses going both left and right at the lights, but not enough width for a bus to pass another bus (or truck, etc.) so must wait until both its light and the light for the other lane are green.

They also just assumed that the Luas Red Line had infinite capacity so it was perfectly fine to dump passengers at Red Cow and Kylemore and expect them to continue to the city centre on the Luas.

Life ain't always empty.

Whatever the reason, it's been very poor so far this week (my wife uses it every day) - were previous services curtailed to cause the buildup of passengers?

Also 151 issues will affect the demand for the 13 as passengers from College Green to Clondalkin village can take either.

Life ain't always empty.

I think one of the issues traffic wise for 60 is where it makes the right turn from le fanu road to ballyfermot road. The right turning light is green for approx 7 seconds but most times traffic can't make the turn due to the line of traffic backed up on ballyfermot Road. It can be several turns of the lights before traffic moves as if the bus pulls forward its stranded in the middle of the junction and can't proceed due to a green pedestrian light. The quicker option would have been onto ballyfermot Road at the roundabout. Its also getting stuck on kylemore Road due to 2 sets of pedestrian lights and a lollipop woman coupled with abandoned and badly parked cars at school timed. The stop on lefanu Road and kylemore Road in both directions are only seconds apart. The inbound stop should have been further back at St John's college. Kids either get off the bus at the gala and walk after the bus for johns college or go past the school and walk back. Most of what's happening was brought up at the consultations but was ignored

The routing away from Tesco in Ballyfermot is just crazy.

It makes zero sense.

But I’m not really surprised that the NTA ignored local views. They really do not get the importance of community bus routes.

• Advertisement

Absolutely no sense of community services. Every consultation on the 60 was met with you will still have a direct bus to the city centre once an hour. The majority did not want to go to the city. The 79 came down to tescos off peak and emptied at tescos and refilled with people going back to lower ballyfermot. And the same in the other direction. It was mostly the elderly who attended the recent local meetings. Thier sole purpose for bus use was to go shopping. Most of them are on rollators and couldn't go to the city even if they wanted to as they couldn't get around. We took some of the elderly from claddagh Court down to tescos yesterday. We took the 60 to the gala and tried to board a g2 to go one stop to tescos but it was full. We then waited another 15 mins for the next bus which was a 76. So the 5 min journey on 79 took 25 mins. On the return journey we waited 14 mins on a g2 to go back to the gala to connect with the 60 but it wasn't tracking so we missed it. We then waited 17 mins for a g1 and carried thier shopping up frim clifden Road. It not fat but elderly people find it a fair distance. 2 of them said they wouldn't have managed it without us being with them. One said she would rather get a taxi than wait an hour for the next 60. Then she said the savings she would make by going to tescos would be negated by the taxi fare so she would probably shop in the dearer centa across the road. They all agreed they would miss the social aspect of the outing. The journey back from tescos in all took 45 mins. Previously it would have Been 7 mins. Its sad to see how this has impacted these people. We will be contacting all local representatives and groups to raise awareness of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So another fake consultation that wasn't actually a consultation at all. Just an information stuffing down the throat session with fingers in the ears. That's not a consultation and a sure sign the actual end users are nowhere in the list of priorities. No project can succeed on that basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Who would have thought that the hourly radial would be the bus of choice over the spine ? Eh, anyone in Ballyfermot. The G1/G2 is a mess of a route at peak hours, takes about twice the time of the 79/60 route, mainly due to the bottleneck from Mount Brown down to Emmett Road. This evening I checked out the times and saw that the 60 was due to leave Burgh Quay at 5.37. I left work at 5.15 and reached the stop at 5.25, not wanting to take any chances. G2 arrived at 5.30, but I let it go. 5.40 came and I was starting to get a bad feeling. At 5.45 the 60 arrived, so I thought, ok, not too bad. Bus pulls up to the stop and the driver announces that the bus is breaking down and he’s only going to the next stop !!! Get the G1 or G2 is his advice. Brilliant. Finally at 6 O’Clock a G1 arrives. A full 30 minutes after the G2. So much for buses every 12-15 minutes ! Got home at 6.50. Over an hour and a half after leaving work. This so called service is a farce. We need more frequent 60’s on the route, at least at peak times in the evening, or, one of the G1/G2 needs to go down the quays.

It depends where you are going on the 60. To lower ballyfermot it seems to be fine but from there up it's encountering heavy traffic. 16.30 and 17.30 on Mon and Tues took 74 mins to spiddal Park from city. Still an increase of 25-30 mins on commute. 60 is the bus of choice on the ballyfermot Road in the mornings as its less likely to be full and more likely to stop. The traffic seems better for it inbound than it is outbound.

Well to be fair the plan changed massively from the original version based on the consultations. I wouldn’t agree that it was “fake”.

But there are certain areas/routes where the NTA just dug in and gave an inch but really should have given a mile.

This is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

I thought the point of the G1 and 60 terminating at Red Cow was to provide an alternative for those at Ballyfermot wishing to travel to Tallaght once the 76 stops operating?

"Along with providing increased capacity, frequency, and weekend services, this new phase of the network redesign will offer people 24-hour access to the docklands and key parts of the city's business district.”

tbh I can’t imagine the docklands is the most common destination for Ballyfermot…all I can suggest is that people push HARD for a bus gate at mount brown

I think the quote was more about offering a 24 hour service service to that Docklands area for everyone, be they local residents or people working there, rather than for large numbers of citizens of Ballyfermot to get the chance to go there.

The G-Spine does serve both ends of the route and people can and do board mid-route! ;-)

I'm talking about the very first iteration of the Bus Connects plan, they changed it a good bit since, but the point was it was very much "this looks OK on the map", any passenger or driver could have told them it was not going to work.

From the other replies here, it's almost as if it's not possible to deliver frequent, reliable services and introduce more routes without the infrastructure element of Bus Connects, who knew...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 pk1991

As somebody who lives in Ballyfermot, I think the frequency of the 60 is too low (should be 30 minutes) and to be honest no route in Dublin should be hourly.

I also think the 60 should be rerouted slightly; travel via the village instead of the detour via Le Fanu and also take the 79a routing once it gets to the end of Sarsfield road after Decies. That should help alleviate pressure on the G1/G2 and decrease the journey time.

Also, the turn onto Claddagh Green (shop side) is actually the 4th turn; claddagh road, moycullen, claddagh green (west side) and then claddagh green (east/shop side) so the driver manual/literature is worng if it says take the 3rd turn.

I generally support the idea of the G-spine following the old 40 route but Mount Brown/Old Kilmainham was always a nightmare, especially outbound in the evening. They should of put in place soem temporary solution to increase traffice flow or put in a bus gate.

Lastyl, while both G1 and G2 are experiencing issues, its the G1 in particular that seems to performing very poorly.

One hour delays in both directions during school time this morning for g spine. Reason given was a number of operational issues. 76s were full coming into ballyfermot this morning with people hoping to get a g1 due to lack of g2s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Had me wondering would the locals be happy to sacrifice the 60 in favour of a more frequent "local" service (maybe 30 minutes?) that did the old 79 route as far as Heuston station ?

Why would you stop at Heuston? Most people are going to/from the city centre.

To me the interim solution might be to push the 60 frequency up to at least every 20 mins at peak and maybe every 30 mins off-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Would it be achievable to make the 60 every 30 mins given the ongoing driver shortages?

I think they should get the G1/2 sorted first before touching the 60.

As an aside, and some might think this is a bit controversial…but I really think we need to start promoting mobility scooters etc an awful lot more than we do. They’re extremely common in England but balked here. Sure I’m only young but if I was getting on a bit I’d much rather a scooter than wait for a bus every 20/30 mins to go a few km max.

You aren’t going to sort out the longer journey time issues between Ballyfermot and the city centre by virtue of the G1/G2 going through Inchicore or Mount Brown (versus the 79) anytime soon until after the BusConnects infrastructure planning permission is sorted.

The 60 at least offers a fast route to/from the city.

They clearly need to fix the running times on all of the routes. That may mean more resources are needed which is going to be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Does seem like a bit of a fcuk up that the bus connects routes are longer than the existing routes.

Makes you question the logic of the redesign the only routes that seem to be working well and offering useful new connections are the N4 and N6 which are a genuine improvement on the 17a. Things could have been improved without changing the whole system.

London for example has never had a complete and total redesign of the entire system just new routes have been added and changes have been made to existing routes over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

I have heard that some NTA officials paid a visit to the garage which operates the G spine earlier this week to see how things were running. They were offered the chance to listen in on some of the phone calls coming in to complain about the new services.

Apparently they were horrified and couldn't understand why there were any complaints at all. At least one phone call contained a physical threat to the inspector who answered it. The NTA officials quickly left with their tails between their legs.

So this is what we are dealing with. Naïveté and stupidity from those charged with running a transport service for the public. They just don't appear to have a clue.

• Advertisement

They must be dragging drivers in from everywhere. Last night we had g1s doing the 60 route from cherry orchard ave. In the mornings the 60 is still doing the 3rd turn left onto claddagh green and missing the stop on the 4th turn. Today 2 60s came up spiddal road and turned right to blackditch road instead of left. Passengers had to direct the drivers to get them back on route.

The g2 is becoming more and more elusive and people are getting g1 to ballyfermot in hope of catching a 76

Cancellations on 60 as well. 17.30 from city cancelled so the gs will be jammed

Advertisement