Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

@LXFlyer I'm going to move my point to the other Bus Connects thread in the infrastructure forum.

Most discussions here are about roll out of actual services, operational issues etc.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I think the plans for pedestrianising College Green have certainly been discussed at length to date.

The detail has yet to go to planning, but movement was reported on this yesterday in the media.

That original DCC plan which you refer to wasn’t worth the paper it was written on, and was rejected by ABP for not properly planning the bus diversions.

Furthermore, the Dame St terminus wasn’t large enough for the routes planned to use it, and it had a massive number of routes using Parliament Street, which residents there vociferously complained about. We have long moved on from that plan, as that was prior to BusConnects network being published.

The objective right now is to provide a solution which keeps the buses moving through the city centre while not sending them on massive diversions, and then allowing the Spines to connect at O’Connell Bridge.

I think that at this stage the momentum is certainly behind the pedestrianisation. It was deferred once already due to there being no proper plan for the bus routes. I can’t see this changing any further if I’m honest at this stage. But I’m sure there will be some consultation when the detail is published.

The B, C, D and G Spines all serve the Quays which aren’t that far away, let’s be honest.

The A and F Spines will serve Cuffe Street and then with the B Spine will serve Dawson St/Kildare Street and Westmoreland St / D’Olier St., which again skirt the edges of the area.

Potentially a radial could be re-routed but it would appear that the 71 & 72 will do the long dog leg from George’s St to the Quays via Winetavern Street (assuming Parliament St isn’t available). Routing more radials like that would be painful to be honest for most people.

Don’t get me wrong, personally I agreed with the view that some routes should stay on Dame St/College Green, but I think that we have moved on at this stage, and this is the best possible compromise.

I responded in the other thread.

Just to clarify here - I'm 110% supportive of College Green pedestrianisation

🚶🧍🏃🤸🧑‍🦽🧑‍🦼🧑‍🦯🚴

This is about the network, not the infrastructure, and the revised routings so this is the correct thread for the discussion.

I don’t really see how you can improve on the draft plan that the NTA have without massive doglegs across to Winetavern Street and back, assuming Parliament Street is out of the equation as it appears to be destined for pedestrianisation too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

You say that like the routing around SSG for both the A and F spines isn't also a massive dogleg. I just question why it's considered necessary for all (non-H) spines to route by O'Connell Bridge for interchange, when routing a couple via Fr. Matthew Bridge still allows for interchange with almost all other spines while offering reliable service to the Church Street and Bolton Street areas.

For one the route via St. Stephen’s Green reinstates an original connection that was removed some time ago during LUAS construction, and I suspect that it’s a lot more free flowing than the alternative via Winetavern Street.

By removing Spines from around O’Connell Bridge I think you would get a very large pushback. A basic concept of the plan was based on the Spines connecting together at one place.

You can do it with radials such as the 23 & 24 or 71 & 72 and indeed the 80 which have that freedom to be added on top of the Spine network and divert.

The 71 & 72 will dogleg via Winetavern St every 15 mins.

Church Street will have a bus every 10 minutes via the 23 & 24 - that’s not exactly infrequent and is more than it has now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I think we need to have the spines connect at one central area, as per the plan. And we also need to reclaim the city streets from vehicles as best possible. Everyone who uses the train to Tara St or Pearse is well outside this core area and people using them have no problem with the walk to or from the stations to travel on a reliable service. Not every route has to be within a few inches of the bottom of Grafton St.

For once we are looking towards a decent PT service for Dublin City while also having a city to enjoy when we are there.

In theory, if the F-spine diverted through Winetavern and Church Street, you would serve that whole side of the city centre which will otherwise be underserved. The F-spine connects directly with every single Spine at various / multiple locations except the H-spine. This wouldn't fundamentally break the aim of Bus Connects.

I'm not suggesting every bus needs to pass George's St / SSG, but I'm pointing out the fact that ZERO buses pass George's St. Some of the local routes will (23, 24 etc. ), but the fact that the Spines entirely excluded the busiest parts of the city centre is not great.

At best here, I'd like to see a broader acknowledgement of this point. The core city centre will be grossly underserved in preference for easier bus connections.

The plan isn't going to fundamentally change. But that doesn't mean we can't have a conversation about minimizing the impact...

Let’s be clear here, the buses serving George’s Street are NOT local routes, nor are they infrequent.

They are radial routes which are designed to supplement the Spines with frequent additional services. They are core to the network redesign.

The 23 & 24 will operate at a combined frequency of every 10 minutes.

The 71 & 72 will operate at a combined frequency of every 15 minutes.

The 80 will operate every 10-15 minutes.

That’s up to 16 buses an hour in each direction, which is a lot more than ZERO buses as your post states.

Incidentally a recent Dublin Bus newsletter listed the 10 busiest stops on the network. Guess what, with the exception of Dublin Airport and the southside 13/40/49 stop on College Green, they weren’t on George’s Street, or Dame Street, but were all on O’Connell Street or around O’Connell Bridge.

• Advertisement

Thanks for response. To be fair I'm not giving enough credit to those routes, but I think you're giving them more than they deserve.

You mention combined frequency but the true frequency is 20mins for the 23/24, 30mins for the 71/72 and 15mins for the 80. I assume this is peak frequency and may be lower in the evenings / nighttime.

These radial routes will not have the same bang as the Spines in terms of frequency, reliability, ease of transfer etc. So I still make my point that core parts of the city centre will be underserved in preference for easier connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

But how much of that is down to the current sheer amount of routes that take OCS? What if you divided the stop usage by the level of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭DaBluBoi

For low-frequency routes close to Ballymount you’d think they would be run better…

Yeah c'mon now @LXFlyer I know you're Superfan numero uno for Bus Connects, but the 'less than ideal' service for core parts of the city centre cannot be glossed over or ignored....

Where I'd like to get to is a broad acknowledge of this (in general, not just you!). Then we can discuss solutions.

For one, I think a few high frequency local bus routes focused on the core city centre is worth considering.

I hope you appreciate my crude diagrams as much as I do.

Example 1 - Dame St to Tara St via George's / Winetavern / Dorset / Gardener

Example 2 - upgrade the Luas Red line and reconsider the stop placement. I believe you could justify an additional stop between Abbey and Four Courts. This would conveniently add a stop at Capel St.

Example 3 - I would love to see a discussion starting about the old Luas Line F. An extension from James St all the way down to Dame St. This would take pressure off the Red Line and bring people into the Georges core area.

Example 1:

Example 2/3:

I quoted combined frequencies for the 71 & 72 and 23 & 24 simply because the 71 & 72 and 23 & 24 in each case follow the same route out of the city at least as far as the canal in the same way as the Spines have core sections. If someone wants to connect from a Spine the combined frequency is the relevant one rather than the individual routes.

The frequencies quoted are all day long.

They 71/72 intersect with all Spines except the H, but passes close to it, and the 23/24 and 80 all intersect with every Spine except the H-Spine.

They are individual stops. While you are right to say that there are a lot of routes along OCS, the routes are spread across quite a number of bus stops there.

No that's fair on the combined frequency, but I know we both agree that radial routes are no match for Spines. And fact is, all of the Spines entirely miss core parts of the city centre.

No one is going to get off a Spine bus, let's say in Drumcondra, then wait for a radial route that brings them to George's St. You'll continue to the city and walk to George's St. And as such, we're leaving George's St 7-10mins walk from the main Spines.

With respect, I was correcting the factual inaccuracies that you posted.

16 buses an hour is far more than zero.

The radial services aren’t infrequent.

It is worth sitting down and reading the planned frequency guide on the BusConnects website. It clearly lists the planned hour-by-hour frequencies for every route.

Yeah no I 100% agree, I wasn't giving these radial routes enough credit. But I still say you're giving them more than they deserve.

Radial routes are not a replacement for spines. Radials are far more likely to suffer from bunching for example, like our current network. The reliability that the Spines are based on cannot be assumed of the Radials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Qrt

I was going to say route the A left at Golden Lane/Bull Alley Street, then down Winetavern and left at Bachelor's Walk/OCB but that would eradicate the "no turn" thing there...

• Advertisement

Just to clarify that, in case that it’s not clear, the 23 and 24 will have an integrated timetable, as will the 71 and 72. They won’t be timetabled individually. Just in case you haven’t realised that! ;-)

I fully understand the concept of combined frequency. To be clear then, are you claiming that the 23 and 24 will offer a combined frequency every 10minutes inbound on Church Street despite the fact that one bus comes from the Airport and another comes from Charlestown. These buses which leave, individually, every 20minutes won't suffer any bunching along their routes inbound to Merrion Sq.?

They should be timetabled in the same manner as a spine, to offer a 10 minute frequency along the core section from Glasnevin inwards.

You could make exactly the same argument as your postulating above about how the A1, A2, A3 and A4 (or any of the Spine routes) can possibly integrate despite all having different termini.

That’s where getting the stop by stop scheduling right is important. You work back from the point where the routes join to the terminus of each route to decide the departure times. So, if you look at the H1 for example, the inbound terminus departure times aren’t equally spaced all day as they’re dependent on the running times from the terminus to the point where the route joins with the H2 and H3, which changes at different times of the day.

As to whether it will actually work, that’s another matter, as that depends on the quality of the schedules. But done properly, the schedule should deliver an integrated service along the core section.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Well two points from me then.

1)

I do not accept that these radials are a replacement for spines. I maintain my argument that huge portions of the core city centre are not properly served with Bus Connects.

2) Regarding time tabling in general:

With the 23 / 24 route, you only have 2 buses to play with so you need to be strict on timetables to ensure 10mins frequency. This will result in slow buses stopping at every stop. There is no other way to avoid bunching.

With the main spines however, I had assumed the core frequency was just assumed on average. For example, on the A-spine you have A1-A4, which taken together should give a 5mins frequency?

@LXFlyer are you saying that the intention is to control all sub routes on each spine to adhere to strict timetables?

Ok to explain the scheduling processs:

Every individual departure on each route in Dublin already has a stop-by-stop timetable which in turn is used to generate RTPI times by applying the predictive running times to the GPS location of the bus.

On the “BusConnected” routes, the Spine routes should be scheduled together from where they meet. The individual times for stops before that point are worked backwards using the appropriate running times depending on the time of day.

Punctuality is measured based on the actual times at each stop compared with the schedule. There is a box in the driver’s cab which will tell the driver if the bus is running early and there are designated stops agreed with unions where buses can wait to catch up on time. Penalties apply where a bus is more than 1 minute early or more than 6 mins late all along the route.

Taking the H Spine, here is the H1 for example:

Inbound the H1, H2 and H3 timetables are integrated together from stop 604. The times prior to that are worked back to the terminus based on the different running times applicable depending on the time of day. If you look at the schedule, you’ll see that the running times are applied to groups of departures.

The same principle will apply to each of the Spines.

Getting the running times right is key and doesn’t always work. When the N4 launched for example, the running times were far too generous and buses were having to stop almost at every stop to keep to time. Revised running times were implemented two months later that were more realistic.

GoAhead tend to schedule conservatively and this often leads to buses crawling along at times which isn’t a good thing.

So you can see that there’s a massive amount of work involved in coming up with the working stop-by-stop schedules and the driver/bus rosters to operate them.

Thanks for that. I hadn't realized how complex that was. I wonder how well that'll work in practice across the whole network? Is there much experience of this in other cities?

I'm just imagining the shear amount of traffic lights the A1, A2, A3 and A4 will encounter on their respective journeys from the SW to the N of the city. Can't see how it'll work without frequent "time keeping" stops which slow everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I know this has probably been asked before so apologies in advance. I know there's driver shortages etc but is there any sort of timeline currently for E Spine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

NTA press release went out today with a briefing for TDs and councillors scheduled for this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Just saw them change the timetables for the temporary Liffey Valley stop. Couldn't get a clear picture as my bus was about to leave, though for some reason it shows the final stop for the G2 to be Castleforbes Road?

Advertisement