Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

So is it 45k all in. Does your pension come out of this also?. Also is there overtime on occasion and if so is it paid on top of gross salary or included in it.

Just asking as I'm above the 45k in my current job but this is somthing that really intrigues me but the financial side is holding me back a bit.

It's the basic, the pension is taken out of that.. I'd say you would get extra days here and there.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is the progression level from bus to train driver good, most drivers I know of have only come from IE.

BE and DB staff must be worried, much better talent outside CIE ;)

A good few applied last time but no idea how they got on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

For BE and DB drivers the incentive isnt huge, train driving is a highly romantic job, but its terribly boring, and drivers in IE are under severe pressure from middle management, whos justify their position by antagonising drivers, there is a black box in the train, it is constantly been monitored and drivers been pulled up on every little thing, plus no human contact for hours, staring at miles and miles of blank country side and track, while waiting for the next jumper to hop out Infront of you,

Plus as cie staff we carry our service over, but if we dont like it we can transfer back over, we carry our service over but come back as junior drivers, so all things considered the incentive isn't there for us,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭kingshankly

So is it 45k all in. Does your pension come out of this also?. Also is there overtime on occasion and if so is it paid on top of gross salary or included in it.

Just asking as I'm above the 45k in my current job but this is somthing that really intrigues me but the financial side is holding me back a bit.

That is year one of the pay scale you would go on that after your training would be on slightly less while training which will take 14-15 months
    Year 10 which 95% of us are on is 1125 per week plenty of over time atm especially during seasonal times some depots would have more overtime than others
    It’s a well paid job lads now it’s not for everyone but there’s is other perks of free doctor and European rail travel
    Anyone have any questions drop me a message and hopefully I can assist you
    Best of luck folks

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

alane20 wrote: »
    For BE and DB drivers the incentive isnt huge, train driving is a highly romantic job, but its terribly boring, and drivers in IE are under severe pressure from middle management, whos justify their position by antagonising drivers, there is a black box in the train, it is constantly been monitored and drivers been pulled up on every little thing, plus no human contact for hours, staring at miles and miles of blank country side and track, while waiting for the next jumper to hop out Infront of you,

Plus as cie staff we carry our service over, but if we dont like it we can transfer back over, we carry our service over but come back as junior drivers, so all things considered the incentive isn't there for us,

^^^ he’s bang on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

alane20 wrote: »
    plus no human contact for hours, staring at miles and miles of blank country side and track

That sounds like bliss to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quosarmy

Aus der traum =the dream is over, not good enough I'm afraid, back to the sludge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

Quosarmy wrote: »
    Aus der traum =the dream is over, not good enough I'm afraid, back to the sludge

Was that the 1st stage you got results from?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quosarmy

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Was that the 1st stage you got results from?

Yea, how bad is that? Thought I did OK, put great emphasis on safety, customer service, putting company first etc, but no good, would have been a nice change, but there it is, good luck to all in the coming stages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Might sound like a stupid question, but can you listen to the radio/podcasts?

• Advertisement

Still Ill wrote: »
    Might sound like a stupid question, but can you listen to the radio/podcasts?

When driving?? No mobiles must be switched off at all times now that’s not saying lads don’t have them on but if your caught on them while driving you will be heavily punished

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

Ran out of time on the RAAT got to question 25 or so. Found them a little hard to follow so kept double checking.

The IR-LDSJT was handy enough doing the right thing and common sense.

The mini Scaat I'm assuming it's impossible to finish the who page, or at least I didn't?

Also I'm guessing it submits automatically when I finish all 3?

Just wondering roughly how long it took to complete the aptitude test?

That is year one of the pay scale you would go on that after your training would be on slightly less while training which will take 14-15 months
    Year 10 which 95% of us are on is 1125 per week plenty of over time atm especially during seasonal times some depots would have more overtime than others
    It’s a well paid job lads now it’s not for everyone but there’s is other perks of free doctor and European rail travel
    Anyone have any questions drop me a message and hopefully I can assist you
    Best of luck folks

The doctors isn't free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Dutchy

I wonder if there's a bias re. passing stage 1 and your preferred station?
    i.e. are those that apply to be stationed in Dublin less likely to be accepted vs. those who apply to be stationed in, say, Cork?

I only ask because I applied for Dublin & I failed to progress beyond stage 1. Came as a surprise to me as I'm great, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

it took me about 1 hr 20 I think there or there abouts

My mate and his girlfriend both done tests and gave exact same answers he was rejected she was invited to stage 2 go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The doctors isn't free though.

It’s €2.80 per week.
    This gives you and your dependants unlimited GP cover.
    There are GPs listed in virtually all areas. Also if you have to go to the caredoc during out of hours you will be reimbursed.
    It’s a fantastic scheme in fairness.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

30 questions are a slog and you only get 22 mins on the other so more than a hour less than hour half

My mate and his girlfriend both done tests and gave exact same answers he was rejected she was invited to stage 2 go figure

I took two tests for the ESB a while back. One under my GF's name and gender and one under my own and my gender.

Male version failed, female version passed.

How this is allowed is beyond me. If the shoe was on the other foot there would be uproar. Why can't it be accept that women just the same as men don't want to do certain jobs?

Should have shown up for interview and said I was gender fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I assume any sort of colour blindness/impairment no matter how small it is rules you out of becoming a train driver ? Correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Who submitted first?

If she did then the system might discard a second application with the exact same answers word for word.

Who submitted first?

If she did then the system might discard a second application with the exact same answers word for word.

I’ll ask later

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I assume any sort of colour blindness/impairment no matter how small it is rules you out of becoming a train driver ? Correct ?

Correct

Do people think for us that failed, they will run another comp anytime in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Dutchy wrote:
    I only ask because I applied for Dublin & I failed to progress beyond stage 1. Came as a surprise to me as I'm great, like.

I put down Dublin and got through.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

It's very clear there is discrimination against men in this process, they want to hire any females regardless of test scores. They have made that very obvious, they even go over the top saying your gender is not relevant but clearly that is not what the HR woman on RTE said.

I would advise anyone applying from now on to not give their gender or PPS number. Even tick the female box and see how you get on. It's not fair but thats the way things are going in this country - no country for men anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭bigroad

If Irish rail were to favour one gender over another instead of ability they could be playing a very dangerous game.

Who submitted first?

Mate did on his laptop in his own place first she did it on a different laptop after him, both gave same answers she progressed he didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Mate did on his laptop in his own place first she did it on a different laptop after him, both gave same answers she progressed he didn’t.

Both on the same IP address though.

• Advertisement

Both on the same IP address though.

That would mean one of two people who share an IP address are possibly being screened out regardless of gender.
    I don’t think so I think the company is prioritizing females over males and basically said this in their various press releases

Advertisement