Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe and Keith breakfast show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

strife wrote: »
    Unfortunately I cant abide the guy on nova breakfast, 5 minutes of him and i'm in a bad mood for the day, the tunes on nova are generally good but i just cant take that guy!
    Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!

F**k the radio people anyway, ruining it for the rest of us!

@ RichieMc - Please let us know when you find a new radio home and bring Charlotte with ya, you guys are gas - Good luck in the future!!

Hear, hear! Mornings just aren't the same any more... I had newstalk on this morning for a few minutes and thought to myself.... "You're not 50... change that dial".... and I did... back to Phantom. The new breakfast show is ok. Just ok. Not a patch on Richie, Michelle and Charlotte. It's forced and clumsy. Hopefully it will get better over time...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

@ RichieMc - Please let us know when you find a new radio home and bring Charlotte with ya, you guys are gas - Good luck in the future!!
    he's on the sportsdesk at 98FM since he left Phantom.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Been listening to Joe & Keith the last couple of weeks now. We're all very quick to judge and say anything is sh1te in comparison to what we knew and loved. To be fair I think the lads are doing a fairly good job. Ok, I don't have those laugh-out-loud moments in the car in the mornings where I turn around and someone is staring strangely at me but it's not a bad show, certainly better than all the other alternatives.

Best of luck to them.

i disagree, gave them a bit of time last week, listened again yesterday morning, and it was just dreadful. i don't know what it's like compared to the others, but the 2 lads aren't funny, and the some of the segments they have are mind-numbingly boring.
    if the music was actually any good i could probably handle it, but half of it is the same pop-indie rubbish that TodayFM etc play.

tuned the bedroom radio to Newstalk last night so I don't have to wake up listening to them, and rooted for a few more cds for the car journey to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Didn't Keith pick Kung-Fu as one of his top 5 Irish songs ever last year, but he didnt know what album it was on? One of his 5 favourite irish songs EVER and he didnt know what album it was on. If that is the level of local music knowledge the DJs have now it's time to shut up shop.

To echo the other voices, the only breakfast show in town is Live Drive on Dublin City FM. If anyone hasnt given it a go, i'd say it's aimed at the 25+ age group. They play a good mix of old and new songs (mostly older on the morning show) and talk to each other and the audience like adults. I cycle to work so the traffic reports mean very little to me, but between the reports there is some chat, and Sarah and her producer/traffic report people have an easy going style and seem 100% sound. John in the evenings is excellent, but i never get to listen to him now dont drive.

On the positive side of phantom, i still think John Caddel is very good for a mainstream daytime slot, muck playlist aside. Richie McCormack's new slot on his show is also good and what seems like a genuine friendship between the two shows up well. It feels like a little oasis of "real" phantom still left on the station.

Sadly for Caddel, he is on at the same time as Dan Hegarty on 2xm, who played 8 minutes of Marquee Moon the other day FFS. Class. While im currently in an office where i get to control the radio, it gets changed between these two between 10:00-13:00 most days.

The demise of phantom really is an awful shame. I cannot understand why irish radio, even mainstream irish radio, do not play a majority of irish acts. new or old.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Listened to it a few times thought it was very ok and but certainly not in impressed in anyway. Humour wise they are too hit & miss. Due to the small listenership they seem to have no choice but to read out any old crap that gets sent to them. Don't see how this show will build and keep an audience or bond with listeners like Pure Morning did.

I know I defended them the other day but please God stop the 'song-about-whatever-happened-last-night' sh1te right fvckin' now! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm not gone on Joe & Keith. Joe was better when he would just have the odd thing to say on the Tom Dunne show - him on mic all the time is too much and the two lads are too similar to each other. Ideally each person should bring different things to the table

Although having said that they're a damn way better than that young lad that was filling in after Richie and Michelle left. He was dreadful.

Still though Richie and Michelle had a great way about them - a likeable duo I thought. Plus one of them was smoking hot (and Michelle wasn't too bad either!)

Hey Richie - has Michelle gone into acting now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Although having said that they're a damn way better than that young lad that was filling in after Richie and Michelle left. He was dreadful.

They mentioned the other morning that he was up for some radio award! Most annoying c**t presumably, can't think what else it could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

chris_d wrote: »
    Sadly for Caddel, he is on at the same time as Dan Hegarty on 2xm, who played 8 minutes of Marquee Moon the other day FFS. Class.

8 mins? Sure that's only 4/5s of the song!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jellybeano

I know me mam said if you don't have anything nice to say ra ra ra...

BUT... as an extremely tolerant person, i find these guys highly annoying. I ended up shouting at the radio the other morning, when they went on and on about Tom Petty's Free-falling. seriously not funny! and to make matters worse, they were still on about it today. C'mon! had to change over to newstalk, but then flicked back to phantom cos i don't want to feel like an aul wan. their playlists are bland and they remind me of ray foley. sorting out me own tunes to listen to in the car cos they put me in too bad a mood to start the day.

they sound too alike, as someone above said. and i cant work out who is more annoying. love charlotte tho! glad she does the traffic!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Still though Richie and Michelle had a great way about them - a likeable duo I thought. Plus one of them was smoking hot (and Michelle wasn't too bad either!)

Hey Richie - has Michelle gone into acting now?

I vaguely remember somebody saying something about her being in "What Richard Did." Not sure if it was just a brief one off cameo type thing or what?

To echo the other voices, the only breakfast show in town is Live Drive on Dublin City FM. If anyone hasnt given it a go, i'd say it's aimed at the 25+ age group. They play a good mix of old and new songs (mostly older on the morning show) and talk to each other and the audience like adults. I cycle to work so the traffic reports mean very little to me, but between the reports there is some chat, and Sarah and her producer/traffic report people have an easy going style and seem 100% sound. John in the evenings is excellent, but i never get to listen to him now dont drive.
    yeah, some good music played on there, and a good mix compared to Phantom's bland and over-played playlist.
    my drive to/from work doesn't involve Dublin City, so all the traffic talk between each song can be a bit annoying, but it's better than listening to the 2 clowns trying to be funny in the morning.
    which says it all really, I've chosen to listen to traffic reports that don't affect me over them...

I vaguely remember somebody saying something about her being in "What Richard Did." Not sure if it was just a brief one off cameo type thing or what?
    she's one of the main characters in a recent film called "The Hit Producer" anyway, and from what I can gather, is hoping to get more roles in the futures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Newstalk can be very informative but it makes me feel old!!
    I had newstalk on this morning for a few minutes and thought to myself.... "You're not 50... change that dial"
    jellybeano wrote: »
    C'mon! had to change over to newstalk, but then flicked back to phantom cos i don't want to feel like an aul wan.

I think it's time to face the reality that we are old people!!!!:D

Ye I've moved to a combo of either Newstalk or live drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

She was in a scene in that alright and in that Trivia show last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

which says it all really, I've chosen to listen to traffic reports that don't affect me over them...

haha. to take this even further off topic, sorry mods, but i like to google map the roads they mention. not sure where the merrion gates are yet.

haha. to take this even further off topic, sorry mods, but i like to google map the roads they mention. not sure where the merrion gates are yet.

As it happens the only mod on here is (ex-Phantom) Simon Maher.

I always thought this was Merrion Gates but Google Map says here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I know I defended them the other day but please God stop the 'song-about-whatever-happened-last-night' sh1te right fvckin' now! :mad:

I check my twitter at lunchtime and it's polluted with retweets of these things. Every single morning! I might just have to unfollow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Jaysus Joe and Keith are getting an awful bashing here! i've not listening to the breakfast show but i thought they were very funny back in the old phantom days, find it hard to believe that they changed that much.

Although i had not listened to Richie and Charlotte/Michelle in months i'm sad to hear it's finished it was a good show, Richie has always been a very good dj and i hope wherever he goes he will be playing music for the peoples.

And lets face it Michelle does not belong on radio, not because she is a bad dj but because she is a bleeding roide! and she should be on the tv or in the movies.

good luck to them both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Awful. Absolutely awful. Unfunny, cringeworthy, boring, sad, and self obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Duq_

Dear Phantom,
    When will Richie be back from his holidays? Dick and Dom are just doing my head in. Now I'm listening to Today FM or Nova until John Caddell comes on at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Duq_ wrote: »
    Dear Phantom,
    When will Richie be back from his holidays? Dick and Dom are just doing my head in. Now I'm listening to Today FM or Nova until John Caddell comes on at 10.

Dear Duq,
    Ritchie Mc is no longer doing the breakfast show and Joe & Keith are here to stay.
    Best you tune elsewhere unless you like that drivel...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

Missing Pure Morning... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

Barna77 wrote: »
    Missing Pure Morning... :(

Amen to that.
    Pure Morning was a bit of light relief whilst getting the kids ready for school. Now I think I prefer to hear them bickering than listening to J&K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Ah bollix, i'm starting to like them.

I only listen for ten mins as i drive to the dart in fairness but i've found myself laughing a few times to the more cynical one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Ya know what....I think they 're ok. (check my posts, I've been slating Phantom a lot in the past few years).

...But I've been giving them a little listen, and I think they do the job required.

My commute is 35 mins by car, and they bridge the gap....

So that seven thumbs up from me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Must say I'm not really tempted to see if you're right oldscoil. I have heard bits and pieces and annoying would be my take on it. Each to their own though.

Bad news(I think) for me though is that Sarah Francis has finished in the mornings on Dublin City and from what I heard this morning, the playlist took a big turn for the worst. Very very m.o.r. Let's hope that improves. And let's hope the listeners don't follow the music otherwise it would be traffic armageddon - Boom! ( :o sorry :o)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Must say I'm not really tempted to see if you're right oldscoil. I have heard bits and pieces and annoying would be my take on it. Each to their own though.

Bad news(I think) for me though is that Sarah Francis has finished in the mornings on Dublin City and from what I heard this morning, the playlist took a big turn for the worst. Very very m.o.r. Let's hope that improves. And let's hope the listeners don't follow the music otherwise it would be traffic armageddon - Boom! ( :o sorry :o)

Delighted she's gone tbh. Way too much talk, just tell me the traffic first and then waffle on. She wrecked my head with her cringey singing etc.
    I do agree Pam's taste in music is terrible and will lose them alot of listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

These two are the funniest thing on Irish radio in a long time. I gave up on Phantom due to Michelle and the other guy. Mind numbingly painful to listen to.
    Happened on these two one morning and something made me laugh. Kept tuning in and think they're funny as f**k.
    Hilarious. Good music. Perfect for the morning commute.

Advertisement