Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

air b n b in one room out in my house

• 11-10-2018 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

i own my own house...and am thinking of air b n b ing one room out ...do you have to pay tax..if so ..how much roughly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

thebourke wrote: »
    i own my own house...and am thinking of air b n b ing one room out ...do you have to pay tax..if so ..how much roughly?

Less hassle to rent a room

Up to 14000 is tax free

Granted the money might not air b n b money but less work

Also location will be factor plus transport etc around your house

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You'll pay roughly 50% tax as a rule of thumb. So for every €1 you'd make with RAR you'll have to make €2 with AirBnB. Plus you'll have to clean the bedroom every new visit with clean sheets etc. Really not worth the hassle.

D_D wrote: »
    Not true if you remain below the rent-a-room relief threshold of €14,000 per year.

https://www.airbnb.ie/help/article/1122/rent-a-room-relief--ey-summary-of-technical-position?ibbe=1

However, once you go above the threshold, the entire amount is taxable.

AirBnB income is not exempt under RAR rules AFAIK. I thought this was clarifiesd recently? RAR could not be short term lets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I hope you don’t plan on relying on that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Air bnb does NOT come within the RAR scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Apologies, I removed my reply after some further digging. You were just too quick for me...

D_D wrote: »
    Apologies, I removed my reply after some further digging. You were just too quick for me...

Sorry, Boards is playing up for me I thought your post was gone due to Gremlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My sister has a spare room. She takes in lodgers under RAR scheme.

She is a savvy so and so, and only rents the room on a month's trial. So if it doesn't work out, the lodger is out.

I have to admire her cojones on this. But as she has pointed out, lodgers do not have tenant rights and they must conform to HER rules (with a bit of give and take), otherwise they are given a weeks notice. Works so far for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do the first night under airbnb, or just tell them to pay cash on arrival.

My sister has a spare room. She takes in lodgers under RAR scheme.

She is a savvy so and so, and only rents the room on a month's trial. So if it doesn't work out, the lodger is out.

I have to admire her cojones on this. But as she has pointed out, lodgers do not have tenant rights and they must conform to HER rules (with a bit of give and take), otherwise they are given a weeks notice. Works so far for her.

She doesn’t need to give them a months trial, she can kick the out instantly if she feels like it as they are licensees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,243 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RasTa wrote: »
    Do the first night under airbnb, or just tell them to pay cash on arrival.

That’s tax evasion and illegal.

Not allowed to give such advice on boards.

ted1 wrote: »
    That’s tax evasion and illegal.

Maybe so but that’s how it works. For example any b&b I have stayed in recently asked on check out that if I was looking to stay there again to ring them directly for a cash price rather then using hotels.com or booking.com etc and I will be doing so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Maybe so but that’s how it works. For example any b&b I have stayed in recently asked on check out that if I was looking to stay there again to ring them directly for a cash price rather then using hotels.com or booking.com etc and I will be doing so too.

That's more to do with cutting out the booking sites comission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You'll pay roughly 50% tax as a rule of thumb. So for every €1 you'd make with RAR you'll have to make €2 with AirBnB. Plus you'll have to clean the bedroom every new visit with clean sheets etc. Really not worth the hassle.
    Only if you're on the higher rate of tax. OP nobody can tell you how much tax you'll pay on a second income, it depends on your entire income and relief situation.

That avoids the commission and different than what the poster suggested

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc
    It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

kceire wrote: »
    We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc
    It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

In this case the op and poster are talking about being the recipient not the person paying out the cash which is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not as savvy as she thinks. Renting a room in your own home the lodger has zero rights and no notice is required
    kceire wrote:
    We pay for many services using cash only. Taxi, trades etc It’s not our job to enforce revenues requirements on the person receiving the cash.

I'm only quoting you because you didn't give an official mod warning

Ted is correct the post he quoted was suggesting tax evasion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In this case the op and poster are talking about being the recipient not the person paying out the cash which is different.

Even so, receiving cash is not a sure fire way of staying that no tax will be paid on it. But I do get what your saying.
    Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not as savvy as she thinks. Renting a room in your own home the lodger has zero rights and no notice is required

I'm only quoting you because you didn't give an official mod warning

Ted is correct the post he quoted was suggesting tax evasion.

Not a problem. When I said it wasn’t “our” place to enforce, I meant is general joes, not boards.ie as such.

• Advertisement
Advertisement