Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Can't the sponsors be the same for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Caxton

As I understand, there is no requirement for two pairs of sponsors, under Canon Law. It probably comes down to local 'Custom & Practise'.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Meursault

Silly question here, but how you paste something in to your message? I am trying to work out a signature, but I am not sure how to paste the screen shot in to a comment!

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you go to "advanced" you get a page where you can attach a jpg.

But the link and details of which part of the page is just as good. And please put the link either way.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Hi all,

Looking for help with this:

ne5bTSL.png

(from https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/3d021b2067666)

I think it's:

28 August, St Kevin's Hospital
    John Finn, late of 8 Magennis Place
    Married, 55 years
    labourer
    ??? ??? cardiac ??? ???
    ??? Occupier St Kevin's Hospital
    28 August

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Urethral stricture
    Cardiac failure
    Certified

Shocking handwriting!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the help. Here is the name i am having trouble with. I cannot make out the first name. Is it Abina?

Name.JPG

Please post the link to the whole page as requested above multiple times!

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Please post the link to the whole page as requested above multiple times!

Is this what you mean?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1869/03389/2242703.pdf

Name.JPG

• Advertisement

• Alma?

Alma?

I can see where you would get that Shifty, but there would appear to be an additional letter in between the l and m? I was thinking the last three letters are ina? First letter looks like a capital A?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Meursault wrote: »

That's it. Giving a link to the source, or a description of the document if it's not available online, allows other users to see the full document in its proper context which makes the job of figuring out hard to read items much easier.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looks like Abina to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This look like another daughter born to the same couple but while the mother is Abina on the baptismal record she is Abigail on the civil record.

EDIT: Baptism is Oct 14th - about half way down the right hand page.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    This look like another daughter born to the same couple but while the mother is Abina on the baptismal record she is Abigail on the civil record.

EDIT: Baptism is Oct 14th - about half way down the right hand page.

Excellent work, same address, parents, etc. It must be Abigail, with "Abina" a colloquial version of the name.

Thanks for looking in to this guys.

I hadn't come across Abina myself before but there are over 700 examples of the name in the 1911 census.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I've never neard this name before so did some poking around on the internet. There is a Rootschat thread that says it is an Anglicized version of Gobnait, a medieval Irish saint, and that the name is mostly found in Co Cork where the record under discussion here is from. For what it's worth.

Just searched the 1911 census myself--774 named Abina. Rough estimate--700 in Co Cork. Interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was at college with an Abina from Cork. She told me the Irish for it was Gobnait. I always thought Gobnait was a made up 'comedy' name. Likewise Ballydehob. College taught me a few things. :)

spurious wrote: »
    I always thought Gobnait was a made up 'comedy' name.

Frank Kelly's Gobnait O'Lunacy?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Very interesting guys, thanks again. I've heard of the name Gobnait alright, although its pretty uncommon these days. I must say the Genealogy Message Board is amazing for these kinds of queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queen_Kumara

Hello,

Looking to decipher the occupation of this death record for Catherine Fogarty 4th July 1893 (2nd from bottom).

https:/civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/05999/4707075.pdf

I think it might say either;

‘Wife of deliverer’ OR ‘wife of delicatesser’ (or something of that ilk)

But am really not sure!

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Wife of pensioner, perhaps?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

New Home wrote: »

I would agree with 'pensioner'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Queen_Kumara

New Home wrote: »

I would agree with 'pensioner'.

Wow, thank you both for your quick responses.

I would never have worked that out!?

I have another one that is even trickier that I’ll post in a separate comment shortly, hopefully you can work your magic on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Need a little help to decipher the mothers name & maiden name from my great grandfathers birth cert, I am thinking it might be Johanna Connell but can't be sure

2ix0SFI

https://imgur.com/a/2ix0SFI

Looks like Johanna Connell to me too.

Looks like Johanna Connell to me too.

I'm seeing that too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Agreed

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Johanna (Maedb) Connell for me, too.

Advertisement