Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of empty local authority houses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

In many cases local authorities will not refurbish a house until someone accepts it. There is no point in refurbishing it and then offering it, as it will take someone a few weeks to move in, and an unoccupied refurbished property can be destroyed in those few weeks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No this is not what dcc are doing. This is what some of the destitute, poor people who move into are doing.

Just baffling how they can afford to do their council property to such a high standard when they are mostly claiming poverty and in need

So you came on to have a go at social housing tenants?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Constitution hill , between 2 luas lines , access to thousands of jobs and school places
    http://www.thejournal.ie/constitution-hill-flat-dublin-luas-works-2685640-Mar2016/
    If you come across obvious drug use in the corridors, and around the apartment block, you won't want your kids to live there.
    The Irish Times ran a story on the cruise ship idea just yesterday
    From said article;
    The local authority had explored renting a cruise ship from a private operator, to house between 100 and 150 single homeless individuals, before shelving the idea.

In early September, DCC chief executive Owen Keegan told Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy the plan could be “revisited” to help deal with the ongoing homelessness crisis.
    So the plan was shelved, although Mr OuttaIdeas is still grabbing at straws. As for the "potentially hundreds of empty units in the city" - how many can actually be used right now? Big difference in a unit that can be used right now and is empty, and a unit that is in a bad state, and can't be used.

Just baffling how they can afford to do their council property to such a high standard when they are mostly claiming poverty and in need
    What the fcuk are you on about? The CC will be the ones doing refurb of the apartments before the homeless can move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

the_syco wrote: »
    What the fcuk are you on about? The CC will be the ones doing refurb of the apartments before the homeless can move in.

Why swear? Childish

People who move in then gut the place to their own standards

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    So you came on to have a go at social housing tenants?

No, I gave one explanation dcc gave me for places being left vacant

Bring it up with them if you have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF a flat is empty, the council will board up the windows and make sure the door is secure .
    i think most people will choose to accept a flat if offered one,
    the council only offer you a flat when its cleaned ,
    the units, bathroom etc are in good condition.
    The problem is they have limited maintenance staff and a limited budget
    to carry out repairs .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

the_syco wrote: »
    As for the "potentially hundreds of empty units in the city" - how many can actually be used right now? Big difference in a unit that can be used right now and is empty, and a unit that is in a bad state, and can't be used.

That's what I came here to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If someone set up a website that tracked empty council house and the length they were empty it would be a genuine piece of activism that might achieve something by putting the councils under pressure to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

mariaalice wrote: »
    If someone set up a website that tracked empty council house and the length they were empty it would be a genuine piece of activism that might achieve something by putting the councils under pressure to do something.

What makes you think they are not doing anything. The council knows exactly how long a flat or house is vacant. There is numerous things that are out of councils control. They have to follow procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There is housing in the DCC area which has been unoccupied for nearly a decade

That’s because nobody wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

OP, since you’re so interested in finding out how many units are sitting unused, why don’t you put in an FOI request to DCC, rather than moaning about it on the Internet?

The aren't bedsits. They are small perhaps but not bedsits . There a sitting room , bedroom and kitchen if I recall correctly but am open to correction.

The dwellings on ground floor are bedsits.

mad m wrote: »
    What makes you think they are not doing anything. The council knows exactly how long a flat or house is vacant. There is numerous things that are out of councils control. They have to follow procedure.

Then the issue outside of the council's control could be highlighted as well and something done about it, it would put a spotlight on the issue.

splinter65 wrote: »
    That’s because nobody wants it.

Square the cycle of homeless crisis and empty houses people don't want?

fxotoole wrote: »
    OP, since you’re so interested in finding out how many units are sitting unused, why don’t you put in an FOI request to DCC, rather than moaning about it on the Internet?

I'm not moaning about anything. I'm having a discussion on a discussion board about it. Since opening this thread I've contacted my local TD and councillor, found out why the Constitution hill units are empty and that DCC are very under staffed (I knew this before but not to the degree that has been shown)

Then the issue outside of the council's control could be highlighted as well and something done about it, it would put a spotlight on the issue.

Person passes away in house or apartment. Sometimes next of kin are in another country or they are never found. DCC need a permission to dump personal items, but if no next of kin is found this can be done at local level . The other scenario is person passes away, next of kin are given time to go through personal stuff and remove if need be. This can take up to 3 or 4 visits.

This is just one issue.

Believe me there is huge emphasis on getting a vacant flat turned around as quick as possible by DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

kceire wrote: »
    When a house is empty, it is placed into the list to get renovated and brought up to minimum rental standards. Most Local TD's or Councilors will have the list for their area.

Creating a separate list anywhere else will not achieve anything. Flow of funding and staff to get these properties up to standard quicker is what should be increased.
    That would be the sensible approach

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You think the councils are just sitting on their hands doing nothing? Really???

You think the councils are just sitting on their hands doing nothing? Really???

No of course not, but its a bit like A and E how come some hospitals are better than others at managing it.

If council x can turn over a tenancy in say 15 days and council y takes 90 days on average there must be a reason. More staff is not always the answer as per the situation in health care.

• Advertisement

Square the cycle of homeless crisis and empty houses people don't want?
    You don't go from living on the street, to a house. You go from living on the street, to a hostel, to a more permanent room somewhere, and then to a house. If the room you're currently living in is in a secure building where your children are safe in, you will stay in said room over moving to a building where the "stairwells are dark and littered". Also, the kids in said hotel rooms may have better facilities nearby, than "playing on a spray-painted football pitch on top of a row of nearby sheds"
    So you want to force the councils to concentrate on housing, and ignore other issues? Perhaps spend the money on redoing up a house for one family, rather than spend money housing a number of families in rented accommodation? The councils can only do so much with their budget.

I know of dcc flat in 2016, in good condition, it was left vacant ,
    for 8 months before they did anything to it ,apart from
    boarding up door with metal frame.In dublin area.Most hotels have no play areas for kids , at least the ones in the city centre where most homeless people go.
    It may be different outside dublin.
    some flats are left empty for 12 months or more in dublin area .
    In my experience .

riclad wrote: »
    some flats are left empty for 12 months or more in dublin area
    Location, neighbours, and AFAIK, if you don't select any option, you can stay where you are with the same benefits, so why move if you don't want to?

I lived in a flat for 5 years, i moved out, it was about 8 months before they did anything.
    i think they removed old kitchen units and put in new units.
    they also put in new carpets .
    Empty flats is nothing to do with people refusing them,
    if person 1 refuses a flat,
    the next person on the list will probably take it.
    The council cleans the flat and fix,s anything that needs fixing.
    Or maybe puts in new floor coverings.
    Most of the people on the housing list are living at home ,or in private rented accomodation,
    they are not waiting for a transfer from one council flat to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I lived in a flat for 5 years, i moved out, it was about 8 months before they did anything.
    i think they removed old kitchen units and put in new units.
    they also put in new carpets .
    Empty flats is nothing to do with people refusing them,
    if person 1 refuses a flat,
    the next person on the list will probably take it.
    The council cleans the flat and fix,s anything that needs fixing.
    Or maybe puts in new floor coverings.
    Most of the people on the housing list are living at home ,or in private rented accomodation,
    they are not waiting for a transfer from one council flat to another.

I found this place; it was empty 5 years. When I approached the local council they said that there was no demand for social housing here... I was in imminent danger of having to live in my car and they said I could take it. that it needed cleaning and painting and the ESB reconnected. A month they said. I said I would do the painting and cleaning etc; i have heard the "a month" story before.... moved in within ten days. Took them 5 months to sort the ESB so I did right.
    Wonder how many perfectly good dwellings are lying empty like this one was

(Why can I not add emoticons please?)

i can only speak of dublin, maybe in certain rural area,s theres low demand for social housing.
    In the 80,s there were 100,s of empty flats in dublin, you could walk
    into a flat ,put a new lock on the door and sign a form in the council office and you would become a tenant .
    The flats were not even boarded up .
    Even in dublin where theres high demand flats are left empty,
    for months after a tenant moves out.

i can only speak of dublin, maybe in certain rural area,s theres low demand for social housing.
    In the 80,s there were 100,s of empty flats in dublin, you could walk
    into a flat ,put a new lock on the door and sign a form in the council office and you would become a tenant .
    The flats were not even boarded up .
    Even in dublin where theres high demand flats are left empty,
    for months after a tenant moves out.

A friend of mine told me he did that in the early 90s in one of the flats on Dorset st

Just literally walked in and lived in the flat for 6 years but eventually was thrown out

Dcc never really knew exactly what stock they had in possession or not back then

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭zell12

kceire wrote: »
    DCC had considered renting a ship for up to 150 homeless people to ease the crisis, before they shelved the idea.
    Obviously some journalist has just gotten hands on lists or options prepared at some stage.
    I don't think housing on a cruise ship ever was that close to reality.

DCC 'would not rule out' cruise ship for homeless
    DCC's deputy chief executive Brendan Kenny is willing to try anything to solve the housing crisis - and hasn't ruled out the use of a cruise ship for homeless people - but insists the council can't fix it alone and needs more help from private developers... he doesn't expect to see any real difference in the housing crisis for another two to three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I think this is an outrageous statement.

If he thinks private developers are the key, but they aren’t building, then it is his job to incentivize these private developers. A 30k completion bonus and a put option would go a long way.

But it is crazy that he can throw his hands up and say that there is nothing he can do.

The council sending agents out to bid against first time buyers and people trying to rent is the stupidest idea ever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Dublin City Council official who believes that they need private developers to fix the problem needs to read the history of his own employer to see that that has never been the case.

Dublin Corporation & County Council brought housing lists down to tiny figures on more than one occasion by direct intervention, alone. We've learnt from the mistakes made, particularly the 50s and 60s schemes, so should be able to avoid those ones at least. At no stage in the repeated cycle of housing crises - the 1910s, 1930s to early 50s, mid 60s to mid 70s - have they been resolved by or even with private developers.

They used to work more extensively with what we'd now consider "approved housing bodies" to build in the same schemes at the same time - Marino being the best example of this with multiple groups from everything from charities to benevolent funds for various trades and even I think the British Legion involved (I don't have the book with the details to hand right now); but not private developers. They used to build houses for direct sale themselves, either cash tender or council mortgages - but built on their contract, not separately by another developer, and with the profits retained by the Housing Department.

Advertisement