Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I believe the Children's hospital was to cost circa 600 million, now under FG's watch the figure is close to 1.7 billion and climbing. I won't give the figures for broadband.

What has Fine Gael got to do with the cost over run.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

This apparently was what Varadkar had to say on the Marian Finucane show today when asked about Bailey’s interview with Sean O’Rourke

....Varadkar sighed and said: “I felt really bad for her”.
    “She’s a mother, she’s a TD, she’s competent; the interview was ill-advised. I thought she did herself harm and I felt bad for her.”

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MIKEKC wrote:

Is this a serious question?

SirChenjin wrote:
    ....Varadkar sighed and said: “I felt really bad for herâ€. “She’s a mother, she’s a TD, she’s competent; the interview was ill-advised. I thought she did herself harm and I felt bad for her.â€

He also had a chat with Alan Farrell the other FG TD that had the serious case of whiplash . Although it didn't stop him climbing ladders and posing for the camera or taking part in hard tackles on the soccer pitch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

MIKEKC wrote: »

FG have been in power since 2011. This is their baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Is this a serious question?

Yes the government don't directly oversee projects .This is done by project managers and advisers.

MIKEKC wrote:
    This is done by project managers and advisers.

..... appointed by government. Try harder.

Suckit wrote: »
    Haven't FG overspent on every project that they have attempted?
    I thought I read that somewhere.
    Most cost Overrun Country in the World or something like that.

Not that it matters.

The tallest building on the planet the Burj Khalifa cost 1.5 billion dollars to build.

This hospital will cost what looks like over 2 billion euro (circa 2.3 billion dollars) to build at completion.

People talk about FF being fast and loose with public funds but they are in the poor house compared to this gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Villa05

Hilarious only this year are we running a balanced budget after 10 years and people think the government should have splurged money on everything.
    FG policy was to drive up house prices refer to finance minister comments that house prices need to rise further. FG came from a position of running a state that held the largest amount of land and property in the world to a state with a housing crisis. Now it does not take a genius to take that situation avoid a housing crisis and create a positive revenue stream for the state through house sales and affordable rents

The money wasn’t there, I wonder why, nothing to do with the debt we are still paying back.
    Repayments on debt fell during the course FG time in Government due to falls in interest rates. Ability to raise positive taxes like carbon water charges were hampered by high house prices/cost of living

People talk about overspend and somehow forge FF went double over the budget for the port tunnel.

Was to be 400 million and cane in at 850 million.
    If only the children's hospital would come in at double the initial budget it would save the state a significant sum

• Subscribers Posts: 40,967 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Complete and utter lack of control and oversight.

Failure to seek and appoint competent people to run the project.

Agreed to split the contract in two which essentially meant a blank cheque to the construction company that were already on site.

Gave the go ahead on a site which was always going to be very costly due to location, existing structures and topography.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

SirChenjin wrote: »
    This apparently was what Varadkar had to say on the Marian Finucane show today when asked about Bailey’s interview with Sean O’Rourke

....Varadkar sighed and said: “I felt really bad for her”.
    She’s a mother, she’s a TD, she’s competent; the interview was ill-advised. I thought she did herself harm and I felt bad for her.”

:rolleyes:

Varadkar is a weasel to trot out that line.
    The victim mentality again.
    Make sure to mention that she's a mother so that we can all forgive her of her fraudulent attempt to extort money from an Irish business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

_blaaz wrote: »
    Anyone is worth a chance at this stage...FG have become a parody of themselves by now

Way worse options on my ballot paper last time I voted. SF, AAA, PBP, etc,.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Yes the government don't directly oversee projects .This is done by project managers and advisers.

I reckon if you were to try just a little bit harder, you could try pinning it on FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Kivaro wrote: »
    Make sure to mention that she's a mother so that we can all forgive her of her fraudulent attempt to extort money from an Irish business.

He's made it worse.her being a mother is completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

smurgen wrote: »

Reminds me of this Bill Bailey riff:
    There’s this one celebrity, Rosie O’Donnell, a talk show host, and she said this: “I don’t know anything about Afghanistan, but I know it’s full of terrorists, speaking as a mother.” So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is that a euphemism for "talking out of my arse"? "Suspending rational thought for a moment"?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Leo Vardakar's primary achievement will be to be an even worse Taoiseach than his immediate predecessors (yes I'd include Cowan in that who was completely out of his depth and thrown under the bus by Bertie really).
    Leo however has used the office solely for his own personal benefit and profile, but then that's all there is to the man - he stands for nothing, he does nothing, and it's all about his ego (writing to bloody Kylie and leveraging his role to get back stage access says it all really).
    When Varadkar became leader of the country, I became hopeful for the country. I hoped for a progressive approach to handling the country's issues.
    Instead now, with Varadkar as leader, I lament for this country.
    He did a good con job on us though. Promising to look after the workers/contributors/carers in the country, but did the exact opposite and went extreme liberal left by placating the forever home contingent and giving more money to lifetime dole recipients than to the struggling working class.

He's in a quandary now and he knows it.
    He could try another con job by going back to the "looking after the early risers" ruse again before the next election, but he would worry about the negative signals that would be sent to his future employers in Brussels by even promising to help out the workers/contributors of Ireland. Brussels wants the liberal left program continued of non-EU migration into Ireland and punitive tax rates on Irish workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Absolutely. Complete arrogance also, IMO.
    All I could think when I read it was WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

SirChenjin wrote: »
    Absolutely. Complete arrogance also, IMO.
    All I could think when I read it was WTF!

Such a bad example to be setting her children.

Then I suppose she didn't have the best role model either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The only relevance of her being a mother is that it reinforces the fact that she doesn't need signage or supervision to use a fukking swing.

The tallest building on the planet the Burj Khalifa cost 1.5 billion dollars to build.

This hospital will cost what looks like over 2 billion euro (circa 2.3 billion dollars) to build at completion.

People talk about FF being fast and loose with public funds but they are in the poor house compared to this gang.

Which obviously means FG:
    1) is going to build us the best hospital on the planet (in the best location, don't forget!), and
    2) obviously cares much, much more about children.

People reducing this all to crass greed, incompetency, the Blueshirts being too cosy with businesses, and indeed implying backhanders flying with all this taxpayers' money being given to private corporations are the same sort of people who said the Blueshirts refused to reform the closed-shop legal and accountancy cliques because they were all too cosy together. Cynics, in other words.

As Fine Gael's incredible help with lowering childcare costs shows, this is all about getting the best facilities in the world for Ireland's children. Let's keep our eyes on the ball here, you cynical people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

The cost of labour in the UAE would be very low, the labourers are on about 400 dollars a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The leading article on the independent website is about Leo and Maria Bailey, and how he's reminding people that even though she (and possibly Madigan) tried to pull a fast one with a soft insurance claim, behind it all she is a woman, a mother, "one of the better ones" and an up and coming blahdee blahdee blah.

Now I'm not sure if the "up and coming" is Leoism speak meaning Bailey's safe as houses within his party or not, but Leo should remember that behind every personal injury claim, there's potential repercussions for the policy holders.

The next item on the indo is about a Westmeath business.... Read it for yourself.
    The owner of a family-run convenience store says in his 40 years of business he has never seen anything as bad as Ireland's current insurance crisis.

Martin Mulligan, who also runs a petrol station and post office in Athlone, Co Westmeath, recently had his insurance premium hiked by 428pc.

He was notified by his insurance broker 10 days before the premium was up for renewal that it had increased from €7,000 to €30,000.

Mr Mulligan says there are a couple of personal injury claims pending against his store and now fears his business is heading down a "black hole".

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/in-40-years-of-business-ive-never-seen-anything-like-this-owner-fears-closure-as-claims-cause-428pc-insurance-hike-38220789.html

FG like to style itself as the party for small businesses etc, and are fond of putting on the old "we need to stamp out insurance fraud" persona to the public.

If Leo let's Bailey's (and possibly Madigans) shenanigans slide, expect more insurance related stories on the media, and more stories about politicians alongside them.

Someone should ask themselves if it's purely coincidental that the two articles are sitting side by side, or if they're placed there strategically.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

When Varadkar became leader of the country, I became hopeful for the country. I hoped for a progressive approach to handling the country's issues.
    Instead now, with Varadkar as leader, I lament for this country.
    He did a good con job on us though. Promising to look after the workers/contributors/carers in the country, but did the exact opposite and went extreme liberal left by placating the forever home contingent and giving more money to lifetime dole recipients than to the struggling working class.

I don't see how you could reasonably have expected anything different, given the nature of the arrangement with FF.:confused:

“She’s a mother, she’s a TD, she’s competent"

Leo "ham-fisted" Varadkar. Another gem for the archives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

What does her being a mother have to do with the price of cabbage? So was Rose West.

"She's a mother", what the actual f u ck??? So is Margaret Cash that doesn't take away from the fact they are both responsible for their own actions.

Ah Varadkar is finished he really is. This can't continue now at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Absolute ridiculous comparison.

Labour and material costs for one.

The children’s hospital costs includes the satellite clinics been built in blanch and tallaght.

Also all the machines, scanners, x ray machines beds, etc is included.

Oh and the 40 million FF wasted when they pulled out of the mater site when they were previously on power.

None of that exists in the Burj Khalifa.

This is a children’s hospital not a building with nothing in it except rooms.

Absolute ridiculous comparison.

Labour and material costs for one.

The children’s hospital costs includes the satellite clinics been built in blanch and tallaght.

Also all the machines, scanners, x ray machines beds, etc is included.

Oh and the 40 million FF wasted when they pulled out of the mater site when they were previously on power.

None of that exists in the Burj Khalifa.

This is a children’s hospital not a building with nothing in it except rooms.

You where going okay until the nothing in it except rooms comment Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

smurgen wrote: »
    She's a mother...
    So we're supposed to pay attention to the type of role model that she is?

Two weeks ago I would've been happy to see the back of her, and her alone. Now, it's like figuratively watching/listening to the keystone cops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You where going okay until the nothing in it except rooms comment Leo.

Leo?

Hilarious, but expect nothing else here.

No debate just insults and snide comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement