Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walking my dog in the heat

• 22-07-2019 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

She's flaked out in front of the fan right now. It's 25° inside here and higher upstairs. I'm thinking no? She was panting a lot at 20° this morning. Nest says it's 23 outside but my upstairs thermometer is reading 30 outside (in a sunny spot).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

These are great, SARDA use them for their search and rescue dogs ...

https://ruffwear.co.uk/products/swamp-cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Alun wrote: »

Thank you.

Took her out for a short and slow one with a sodden flannel inside the harness back and front. All is well. And I refuse to take photos. One of the flannels was pink and the other was brown. She looked ridiculously happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Our Yorkie x was walked at 7:30 this morning and basically slept under the sofa all day, it’s about 30c in ours & our Pom x refused unless it was on grass.

She’s been flaked out on the raised bed on the balcony & we’ve cool mats on rotation in the fridge.

I think the issue is the tarmac & footpaths can burn their paws & it can be pretty painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Alun wrote: »

There has been recent research that suggests that cooling coats actually warm dogs up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

If you cannot put your hand on the ground for more than 5 seconds its too hot for their pads. We just walk ours early and late, panting is just them regulating their body temperature. We give ours a frozen kong to cool down after walks and sponge him with a wet flannel if hes been running in the garden like a looney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We walk early anyways but for the evening I hold off until it's cooler for a stroll. Yesterday the 3 of us fell asleep before 8:00pm and there was no evening stroll - oops! :p I do have cooling vests for them too - I'd often put them on them in the garden when it's cool in the shade to sit and get some fresh air but too warm to go for a walk yet ... The dogs love them but I kind of hate them though as everyone with a dog stops us on walks to ask about them and feel them lol. I have hurtta ones and as long as you top them up ie pour more water on they keep them very cool - you can slide your hand in underneath the vest and feel how cool their skin is.

Yes, we stick to grass mostly. La Roche-Posay water is sprayed on her paws when she allows it and we're currently in a room with a wet towel-draped stool, a fan and a blind-covered open window. The dog is on the windowsill, full sunshine, behind the blind with a wet flannel on her back. She loves the heat but cools off every so often. Thanks for the input. I need some help when I walk her so have two options - then or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Dogs with shorter muzzles have a lot of difficulty cooling themselves in heat, I saw a Frenchie being walked during the last heat wave and it looked like it was about to collapse. I don’t think the owner realised how hard they find to keep cool.

It is best to stick to very early morning or late evening when sun is not strong and cool. Mental stimulation, such as freezing a kong or puzzle feeders are better for your dog than walking on a hot day, it tires them out too. Another good tip is leaving wet towel somewhere for your dog to lie on. Personally I haven’t used cooling jackets but would assume it’s too hot to walk and just wouldn’t use them. My relatives dog was walked on a hot day, dog would have being playing fetch or running and pulls on the lead during walks as it’s not trained not to, she ended up having a seizure. They are very lucky that she didn’t pass away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I actually passed somebody walking a dog in the business park at lunchtime - it was 25 degrees out at the time and my clothes were stuck to me just walking over to the car :eek: And no doubt I'll see more on the way home!

Doggo is doing doggo behind me with a damp towel at the moment. My t-shirt is damp, for which I'm glad. Thanks for all the responses. It's baking out there - be careful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Turned on the fan in the sun room earlier, came back out to find one of the dogs was doing a 'fat man sit' on the other edge of the mat in the path of the breeze, looking quite pleased with himself.
    The other, who refused to use the cooling mat last year, had been stuck to it today.
    We skipped a walk today but they had their treat dispensing toys out in the garden this morning and their grandpawrents visited so they were kept occupied.

Advertisement