Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to become a morning person ?

• 21-07-2019 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

You know the people, (with it without kids ) that are morning people , happy / chatty etc

Don't really have a lie in on the weekend and are up probably between 7 to 9am roughly

How do you do it ?

Are these people going to bed early most of the time , getting a solid sleep, avoiding coffee , alcohol , late nights etc

So Are you a morning person ?
    How do you do it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

is this a personal issue for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'm one of those people who's up from 6-7 midweek and 730-9 at weekends. In bed midweek about 11, and weekends could be 12 or 1.

I dunno, just routine. Oversleeping at weekends doesn't help tiredness in my experience, it can make it worse. Just set your alarm and get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I couldn’t sleep late if I tried, up at 6:30 weekdays and body clock has me awake on weekends around 8 ish. It’s nice to get up early and enjoy the whole weekend instead of lying in bed but each to their own I suppose. And nope I don’t avoid caffeine or alcohol or go to bed early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Avoiding drink and not on your phone before you go to sleep would be big parts of getting a good nights sleep and been up and about early the following morning .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

I never regret getting up early at the weekend, feels good getting the whole day. However, I have to have an alarm to do so, if left to my own devices I just wouldn't wake up till at least 10.30. I'm in my early 30s and thought I'd grow out of lie ins (as they say its teenagers and young adults that need them) but it's just never happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Aren't there studies out there that suggest that some people are naturally morning people while others are night owls? I've been a night owl for as long as I can remember and don't think I'll change at this stage of my life.

What definitely helps is keeping a regular sleeping routine. I set the alarm for the same time 7 days a week. I used to have sleep-ins at weekends but stopped doing that. I've friends/colleagues who are early morning people but they go to bed earlier than I ever will. They've turned in by 10.30/11:00 at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Aren't there studies out there that suggest that some people are naturally morning people while others are night owls? I've been a night owl for as long as I can remember and don't think I'll change at this stage of my life.

What definitely helps is keeping a regular sleeping routine. I set the alarm for the same time 7 days a week. I used to have sleep-ins at weekends but stopped doing that. I've friends/colleagues who are early morning people but they go to bed earlier than I ever will. They've turned in by 10.30/11:00 at the latest.

I wake fully around 4 am. Have done for many many years. Love it at that hour! BUT I have no outside responsibilities and live alone. and with an illness that means my day is short anyway

The real issu e is worrying about it .. accept as you are and work within it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I struggle getting up in the mornings (or I used to).

Someone asked above is this a PI? I would say yes, it is. Getting up early can be a struggle but for many it has to be done. A struggle can be a real hindrance to life - rushing in the morning, maybe late, not eating properly, no time for breakfast, a crash like hungover feeling.

What works for me is sleeping with the curtains open. The natural light wakes me up. Obviously and unfortunately it doesn't work in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Unreg.me2 wrote: »
    What works for me is sleeping with the curtains open. The natural light wakes me up. Obviously and unfortunately it doesn't work in winter.

I bought a wake-up light a few years ago (there are some reasonably priced options here) and use it in the winter time. I find it helpful because I hate wake up to a dark room and then have to get up.

OP, it's not clear what your problem is - if indeed there is one. You have two choices from what I can see. Either start going to bed earlier and get used to getting up early. Or look for a job that doesn't require early starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I fall in to the night owl category. I work a 9-5 and just about manage. I think a job that requires me to be up at 6.00am would actually kill me.

Routine is huge. Getting up at a consistent time is important although I don’t follow my own advice. I do like a few drinks at the weekend and will sleep in the following morning. This throws out the body clock and I usually end up staring at the ceiling until 3am the following Monday or Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,991 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I was a night owl for the first 35 years of my life....up till well after midnight every night and then a disaster in the morning.
    Then I had a kid and now I'm awake and up before 6:30 pretty much every morning and tbh I'm kinda used to it.

however, I do find it easy to slip back into the staying up late for now good reason lark....but a 5am wakeup call knocks that out of you pretty sharpish.

So its deffo not a black and white thing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Go to bed early I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corklily05

Hi OP
    I'm up at 6am in the morning for work, work 12hr shifts so i've 3/4 days off every week. The mornings i'm off to get me out of bed i usually do my best to plan something for the morning or else i'd have a lie in. I see this as a waste of a day though. My advise to you is take up a hobby to get you out of bed, athletics,gym etc.. and go do it early. You'll feel bulletproof for the rest of the day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

I read a book recently Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker. Some great topics and viewpoints in it.

He mentions that evolution wired us to be a morning or night person. By overlapping the sleep times, it reduces the time and effort needed to spend waiting on predator attacks.

Modern-life has pigeonholed us into that 9-5 scenario but you can probably retrain your rhythms as people have said.

Am one of those morning people while my wife is a night-owl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i definitely think sleeping pattern is a rhythm that can be altered, if you like.

life style changes and body functions alter over time, ther is lots of good scientific information here

http://sleepeducation.org/healthysleep

including tips on dealing with issues that crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

You can definitely train yourself to be a morning person through routine but a few late nights can really mess this up if you are a night owl like me.

I find that if I’m off work for a while and don’t necessarily have to get up early my sleep time will slip later and later each day until I’m going to bed at about 1-2am and getting up between 9-10am. I can fall asleep and get up very naturally at these times. I need to be up at 7am during the school year to get kids sorted and off to school before work etc. I wouldn’t trust myself without an alarm for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement