Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ain't nothing gonna break my stride....

• 31-10-2012 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the slightly weird but wonderful world of career_move

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khmqDEz6TRk

That was the song I heard on my way home from work....I took it as an omen ;)

293179_2116409703216_4184080_n.jpg

Meet the original career move.....she is a legend (in my eyes anyway :))

How it all started......

My sister and her hubby live in Australia and they're really into triathlons and such like. Which is fine. As long as I don't have to do them! Then one day back in January she announces she's doing the Gold Coast Marathon in July. Claire hates running :confused: In my mind I'm thinking 'hmmmh 36 is a bit young for a mid life crisis isn't it' while simultaneously making encouraging noises and saying things like "good for you". Then the bomb shell...."You can do one too. I've signed you up for Dublin. You better start training"...... 'Gee thanks' I think. And that's how it all began.

To repay the favour I beat her time in the GCM by 29 minutes....gives her something to focus on for next year :D

About me....

I'm 30. I don't know how that happened :( I quit my job 3 years ago so I could work with the racehorses. This is unpaid labour, so I also work part time. I ran a bit when I was in college, just to keep fit really but I'd say I never did more than 2 or 3 miles. I never did any races and I'm pretty lazy. As in, I only ever do the bare minimum. 'Complacent' was what my teacher used to call me in school :D The marathon training was a big commitment for me especially when Mum was diagnosed with cancer in May and I can say for definite without the support and the camaraderie on the Novices thread a lot of those training runs would not have been done. I never used to like running before but now I love it :D

My races so far this year....

5k (on grass) - 23.29
    5m (trail) - 37.12
    HM (portlaoise) - 1.54.46
    HM (athlone) - 1.46.39
    DCM - 3.57.49

The next step....

When I came home from the DCM and realised I was still able to walk I signed up for the HM in Waterford on Dec 1st. I know I have to keep targeting races or I'll get bored. I have done a few sneaky little jogs. Yesterday I was so busy reading race reports I ended up late for work so I did a little jog in from the car park (looks good if anyone is at the window, like its not my fault I'm late :pac:) and today, I was feeling really smug cause I met my friend who ran her 3rd DCM in 4.46 and could hardly walk, so just to show off I jogged back out to the car park :p I won't do a proper run till Saturday though and then only 2/3 miles. I don't really have a plan for Waterford. Must do some reading....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Oooh a fancy log!! Best of luck with your goals, i'll be an avid reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Great stuff! This should be an exciting adventure! you never disappoint!

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

tang1 wrote: »
    Oooh a fancy log!! Best of luck with your goals, i'll be an avid reader.
    Haha :D I don't know about the 'fancy' bit :p

blockic wrote: »
    Great stuff! This should be an exciting adventure! you never disappoint!

Best of luck!
    ....ahhh the pressure....:D

Plan for the rest of this week:

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |DCM|rest|rest|rest|2m|Cross|60min
    :D

• Advertisement

Plan for the rest of this week:

|DCM|rest|rest|rest|2m|Cross|60min

Obviously you being an experienced marathon runner and me not, dont be rushing back. They reckon you should take a days rest for every mile you run after the marathon. You will know best, but take care of the bod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

They reckon you should take a days rest for every mile you run after the marathon. You will know best, but take care of the bod.

An easy day for each mile raced. No fast or long runs in that time. But 3 weeks of recovery runs should be fine. The legs themselves will tell you when it is time to speed up again.

Good luck with the log Career_Move I'll be following with interest. Just remember that Claralara did her first marathon about 18 months ago in 4:28 so great things are expected of you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ohh the pressure.......I'll have to start one soon!

menoscemo wrote: »

An easy day for each mile raced. No fast or long runs in that time. But 3 weeks of recovery runs should be fine. The legs themselves will tell you when it is time to speed up again.

Good luck with the log Career_Move I'll be following with interest. Just remember that Claralara did her first marathon about 18 months ago in 4:28 so great things are expected of you :D

I wad told days rest for each mile, but i'll bow to your far greater knowledge.

Obviously you being an experienced marathon runner and me not, dont be rushing back. They reckon you should take a days rest for every mile you run after the marathon. You will know best, but take care of the bod.
    The table is adapted from the Hal Higdon marathon recovery. I think as long as I take it easy it should be fine :p

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

:eek:

Ohh the pressure.......I'll have to start one soon!
    No time like the present ;)

Aw I have a crappy sore throat :( I never get sick. Better be gone by tomorrow as I am suffering from serious running withdrawal depression :(I'm experimenting with a homemade concoction - big spoonful manuka honey, half of a freshly squeezed lemon + boiling water........ It tastes vile therefore it must be beneficial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Welldone career_move, you did a great job breaking the sub 4 barrier. I'm really looking forward to getting back and have done one recovery run which was meant to be 4 miles but I had to cut it short at 3 miles as my legs started hurting and none of us want to delay our recovery.

Best of luck with the log

Thanks Larman. I'm sorry you didn't get the time you were looking for but you still did a fantastic race. I think I have two advantages over a lot of novices in that even though I haven't done a lot of running I've been riding horses since I was 3 so I have a good fitness base and secondly I think my body is well used to burning fat - there's been a good few times when I'd be riding in a race and I'd have to lose say 7lb in 5 days = not eating for 5 days :D (This is not a good thing to do.....and you always put on weight after cause it takes about 3 weeks to get your eating pattern back to normal)

Was 4 miles not a bit too far anyway for your first recovery run?

2m - 10.46??

My garmin died after a mile and a bit. I hadn't charged it since Saturday so not too surprised! I had an interesting run. I met 2 cows on the road. They took one look at me and legged it in the opposite direction. My dog took one look at them and legged it back home. He's supposed to be a sheepdog!!! Anyway silly cows were running in front of me and then ducked into someone's garden. D'oh. Got them out again but they left a few hoof prints on the lawn :eek: When I was going back past our 'neighbour's'* house I saw some hooligans had sprayed obscene language in large red letters all over his wall. Who does this? And why on a house in the middle of nowhere? And why did I not notice it the first time I ran past??

our houses are about half km apart

35 min on the cross trainer.

Nothing more you can say about that really.....:cool:

I pulled a muscle in my leg yesterday. Its not too bad though :(

6.08 miles @ 10.01 min/mi av
    9.78 km @ 6.26 min/km av

Just got back in before the really heavy rain. Was psyching myself up all the way round to have a cold bath when I finished. Haven't had one for ages.... It was cold. Had to remind myself to think happy thoughts. I got out when my legs started to go numb. They are torture those cold baths but also brilliant. Feel like I have a new pair of legs after it (that could be just the circulation returning though :))

I'm going to put this here cause I think its cool :D

So Michael o' Leary if you're reading my log, Ryanair have a lot of work to do.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlRbrB_Gnc&feature=share

|Rest|2 mile easy|4miles easy|2m easy|rest/cross|70 min easy|70 min easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Best of luck with the log, I'm expecting great things.

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log, I'm expecting great things.

All this expectation......Claralara has a lot to answer for!

2.04 mi @ 10.03 min/m

3.28km @ 6.27 min/km

I must stop wearing my Nike runners out round the yard :mad:

All this expectation......Claralara has a lot to answer for!

Don't worry, Digger is working from within, he's keeping a steady flow of chocolate and wine going to slow her down. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

K, best of luck with the log and the goals! I love that you signed up for the Waterford half straight after DCM! :D I used to do things like that too, now, I'm much more restrained ;):rolleyes:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Don't worry, Digger is working from within, he's keeping a steady flow of chocolate and wine going to slow her down. ;)
    Perfect.....sabotage is the best way to succeed in life :D

jcsmum wrote: »
    K, best of luck with the log and the goals! I love that you signed up for the Waterford half straight after DCM! :D I used to do things like that too, now, I'm must more restrained ;):rolleyes:
    Thanks K....you'll have to break free from the shackles though, its much more fun :pac:

K, best of luck with the log and the goals! I love that you signed up for the Waterford half straight after DCM! :D I used to do things like that too, now, I'm must more restrained ;):rolleyes:

Sure you are, back to back marathon anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

Thanks Larman. I'm sorry you didn't get the time you were looking for but you still did a fantastic race. I think I have two advantages over a lot of novices in that even though I haven't done a lot of running I've been riding horses since I was 3 so I have a good fitness base and secondly I think my body is well used to burning fat - there's been a good few times when I'd be riding in a race and I'd have to lose say 7lb in 5 days = not eating for 5 days :D (This is not a good thing to do.....and you always put on weight after cause it takes about 3 weeks to get your eating pattern back to normal)

Was 4 miles not a bit too far anyway for your first recovery run?

Might have been but since I planned to do a P&D plan for my next marathon I decided to do a P&D recovery plan. I have missed one of the runs already as I had a cold so decided not to run. So one week on from the race I am really want to start training again, legs feel fine except for a light pinch on my hamstring, also my run pace was 7 minutes per KM which is very slow compared to my runs before, so I was taking it easy. I didn't even break into a sweat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

K, best of luck with the log
    Thanks K....

What's this? Something out of Men in Black? :pac: :p

Advertisement