Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo S80 or Mazda 6

Options
  • 10-08-2018 2:38pm

So both approaching €20K and similar mileage
    Volvo 2.0 D4 (141 reg) with 1 year comprehensive warranty
    or
    Mazda 2.2 SE-L NAV D (161 reg) with 3 year comprehensive warranty

I always liked the S80 and Mazda never floated my boat but the current Mazda6 is, IMHO, a lovely car AND it has a 3 year full warranty and is €2k cheaper
    BUT I am still being drawn to the Volvo.

Is there any glaring Pros or Cons for each that would give me guidance?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Can you trust the Mazda 6 engine? A lot of horror stories floating around about the reliability of the Mazda diesel.

Can you afford to repair the Volvo? As a past Volvo owner I know that a premium brand needs a decent budget to maintain it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Can you trust the Mazda 6 engine? A lot of horror stories floating around about the reliability of the Mazda diesel.

Can you afford to repair the Volvo? As a past Volvo owner I know that a premium brand needs a decent budget to maintain it.

Apparently not and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I haven't owned a Mazda 6 but was on the verge of getting one before I changed my mind to a C class.

A friend has Mazda 6 and it drives well. Powerful car compared to S80. He has Mazda 6 2016 model and no issues up until now.

I would choose Volvo S90 over Mazda 6 if budget allows, that's phenomenal and looks really good.

I haven't owned a Mazda 6 but was on the verge of getting one before I changed my mind to a C class.

A friend has Mazda 6 and it drives well. Powerful car compared to S80. He has Mazda 6 2016 model and no issues up until now.

I would choose Volvo S90 over Mazda 6 if budget allows, that's phenomenal and looks really good.

Nah. Can't get to the S90
    I wanted my wife's V70 D5 but she needed a car first so I'm taking the seconds

It's honestly the 1 Vs 3 year warranty causing the dilemma.
    If they offered the S80 at 3 yeras I would grab it but yeah the 3 year warranty might not be worth it on a 6 engine failure in 3-4 years.

The fun of the second hand market huh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Isn't 2014 the year the S80 got a facelift? From memory the facelift brought heated seats and 7 inches headunit as standards... and the D4 engine came with a useful 20 or so hp more.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,113 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another way of looking at it is the 6 could spend a lot of that 3 year warranty having problems fixed while the S80 may not. Yes the longer warranty will pay for the repair but my point is that an unreliable car is still not ideal no matter who is fronting the repair. Mazdas reputation for building a reliable diesel engine is poor while Volvos are expensive to fix outside of warranty when they do go wrong, so I personally don't see this being as clear cut as taking the one with with the longer warranty.

Advertisement