Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How much of a difference in spread do you think there is between a level 3 and 5?
    Non essential shopping and gyms etc were likely causing a very small amount of infection at most. It very much appears that level 3 with no schools would have given superior control to level 5 with schools. The timing of this bottoming off/increase fits very well with the midterm break....

The kids need a proper education. It didnt work from March to June. If these kids aren't at school where there are controls in place they will be meeting up in groups with no controls in place

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    The kids need a proper education. It didnt work from March to June. If these kids aren't at school where there are controls in place they will be meeting up in groups with no controls in place

Schools are well controlled zones.
    Your 100% about kids hanging about in groups otherwise.

Was speaking to a teacher last weekend and she had serious reservations about returning. But she says it’s great, everyone feels and is safe and the learning has adjusted and is proceeding well.

Both of ours, 6th class and 6th year are enjoying their time at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s a completely ridiculous position to try explain away people’s early deaths because they had an underlying condition or are older. Many people dying would otherwise have been expected to live another 5-10 years in many cases.

Creating a “them and us” division where you devalue someone else’s life as disposable so you can live “normally” is just disgusting.

When I’m eighty I will not expect young healthy people to stay in or curtail their lives in any way to protect my health. Protecting my health will be my responsibility. You can consider that selfish if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

They do but closing non essential businesses and the likes of gyms if the schools are actually the reason for spread will be at best pointless and more likely result in more house parties and other gatherings even if it goes against rules as people need something in their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

They do but closing non essential businesses and the likes of gyms if the schools are actually the reason for spread will be at best pointless and more likely result in more house parties and other gatherings even if it goes against rules as people need something in their lives

I cant understand the gyms closing. People need an outlet for stress and everything else. Just the mental health benefits are enough without adding the fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When I’m eighty I will not expect young healthy people to stay in or curtail their lives in any way to protect my health. Protecting my health will be my responsibility. You can consider that selfish if you like.

I wouldn't expect it either, but it's the decision of the government that that's the solution and everyone that's extending it is contributing to the economic effect and job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Few things.

The kids in school are getting very fed up of it (sanitising etc) at this stage.There is only so long people will keep doing things like this when they see no point to it.
    They are training together,mixing before,during and after school.

Had a close up look at how health service deal at these things over the last week.Ambulance service out in April,15/20 mins of gowning gloves etc before coming in to see patient.Last week none of this.
    Told me colleague went to nursing home previous day and had temp taken at door.Was told afterwards if it was high wouldn't be allowed enter and would have to call another crew.This was on an emergency call.

Patient in 4 bed ward.One tested positive as was going to Dublin for procedure.Other 3 negative.Next day 3 out of 4 positive.Last patient told they were only a casual contact despite being in same ward with same nurses etc for almost a week.Nurse manager very insistent on this until pulled up on it.
    Basically didn't want any implication that any of the 4 could have caught it in hospital.

4th patient would have to isolate at home for x days when discharged and wouldn't be able to attend clinic or have nursing service call to their home.

To me it looks like the entire Health Service is totally consumed by Covid to the almost entire exclusion of any other issue at the moment.Seems to be at official level only as individual people tell me hospitals quiet and procedure varies from one place to another ie some test on admission,temp. checks etc whilst others only do it if you are displaying sympthoms.

As regards restrictions, well from what I can see its observed in theory only.Anywhere that can open is open, no one paying a blind bit of notice to travel distance,visiting other houses or "bubbling".
    Even the much talked about checkpoint on the N7.Was in Dublin yesterday morning and coming down N7 just kept out into right hand lane as did everyone else so Garda standing there in the rain with one of 3 lanes closed.

Few things.

The kids in school are getting very fed up of it (sanitising etc) at this stage.There is only so long people will keep doing things like this when they see no point to it.
    They are training together,mixing before,during and after school.

Had a close up look at how health service deal at these things over the last week.Ambulance service out in April,15/20 mins of gowning gloves etc before coming in to see patient.Last week none of this.
    Told me colleague went to nursing home previous day and had temp taken at door.Was told afterwards if it was high wouldn't be allowed enter and would have to call another crew.This was on an emergency call.

Patient in 4 bed ward.One tested positive as was going to Dublin for procedure.Other 3 negative.Next day 3 out of 4 positive.Last patient told they were only a casual contact despite being in same ward with same nurses etc for almost a week.Nurse manager very insistent on this until pulled up on it.
    Basically didn't want any implication that any of the 4 could have caught it in hospital.

4th patient would have to isolate at home for x days when discharged and wouldn't be able to attend clinic or have nursing service call to their home.

To me it looks like the entire Health Service is totally consumed by Covid to the almost entire exclusion of any other issue at the moment.Seems to be at official level only as individual people tell me hospitals quiet and procedure varies from one place to another ie some test on admission,temp. checks etc whilst others only do it if you are displaying sympthoms.

As regards restrictions, well from what I can see its observed in theory only.Anywhere that can open is open, no one paying a blind bit of notice to travel distance,visiting other houses or "bubbling".
    Even the much talked about checkpoint on the N7.Was in Dublin yesterday morning and coming down N7 just kept out into right hand lane as did everyone else so Garda standing there in the rain with one of 3 lanes closed.

You were lucky, I was delayed for half an hour on the m4 on Tuesday coming home from Dublin. As I came near the checkpoint they opened the right hand lane and let us off they obviously decided they'd delayed us long enough and let us off, fair dues and like you they were just standing in the rain watching us.
    But they'd have to let them off every so often or there'd be chaos, it was bad enough, as I said they added half an hour to the journey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭endainoz

Over 3 weeks into level 5 lockdown and cases creeping up again

Two days of over 400 wouldn't exactly mean it's creeping up. The 14 day incidence rate tells a more accurate story. Cases are still down, hopefully this will continue.

Compared to the rest of Europe we're in a great position, long may it continue.

• Advertisement

It’s funny.
    Early on I read articles where China was blaming Italy for spreading covid.

In Ireland in Nov/Dec there were a number of deaths locally from what seemed like a really bad chest infection or flu but it was neithe based on tests at the time, thought is it could have been covid.

See Bill Gates company has results on vaccine, 95% successful aparantly.

I see lots of people recently heralding Bill as a real philanthropist and the future of mankind. Will he pass this on at cost price or will he add to his billions by profiteering on people’s ill health.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See they are going to call time on takeaway pints. Feel sorry for the publicans tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see lots of people recently heralding Bill as a real philanthropist and the future of mankind. Will he pass this on at cost price or will he add to his billions by profiteering on people’s ill health.

What is Bill Gates vaccine, any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭endainoz

I don't think Gates cares much about money at this point, I also don't think he'll give away the vaccine for free though.

The EU has also pre ordered some new vaccine from a German company assuming it will work. There will be an abundance of it available by the mid point of next year. I do think there may be some reluctance from people to take it. It's only a matter of time before some fake story is shared on fb by your aunty Mary saying all the bad side effects.

A few things we don't have is proper data on these vaccines yet, what's may also be a bit concerning is that theres no data on how long a vaccine dose will last. If it has to be taken yearly for example, like the flu vaccine.

Onto more positive news, Ireland has the third lowest 14 day incidence rate in Europe.

Think the vaccine has some side effects incl headache. Might be an incentive to give everyone a day off work following vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He has donated something like 50 billion dollars to charity more than half of his total wealth, he's not the worst in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Water John wrote: »
    Think the vaccine has some side effects incl headache. Might be an incentive to give everyone a day off work following vaccination.

That would complicate roll out to front line staff if needed ... will need to be staggered roll out.

For myself, I find I need to take it easy for few days after flu jab.
    WFH grand.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He has donated something like 50 billion dollars to charity more than half of his total wealth, he's not the worst in all fairness.

Bills early business days were brutally ruthless and he wrecked many people’s business and many hold him accountable for destroyijg lives to protect his own interests.

From what I can see he has moved this focus from profit to control, he seems more and more intent on controlling food and health supplies and ensuring the direction they take are along with his own agenda.

Any farmer who isn’t worried about where Bill wants food supply to go needs to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

It’s funny.
    Early on I read articles where China was blaming Italy for spreading covid.

In Ireland in Nov/Dec there were a number of deaths locally from what seemed like a really bad chest infection or flu but it was neithe based on tests at the time, thought is it could have been covid.

Aunt and uncle were a guided tour on the continent during 1st week of Jan. Sick as dogs a few days after returning home for 2 weeks with a few visits to doctors with similar.

• Advertisement

Aunt and uncle were a guided tour on the continent during 1st week of Jan. Sick as dogs a few days after returning home for 2 weeks with a few visits to doctors with similar.

I had the worst chest infection and cough I ever had last week of december, often wondered about it since. The cough was horrendous
    I went to a funeral that week and back to a hotel after, we were with a group of ten on a table. everyone of them got it after and one ended up in ICU.

Had a flu in Jan but it wasn't a dry cough. Think it was a standard flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

wrangler wrote: »
    I had the worst chest infection and cough I ever had last week of december, often wondered about it since. The cough was horrendous
    I went to a funeral that week and back to a hotel after, we were with a group of ten on a table. everyone of them got it after and one ended up in ICU.
    You had covid undoubtedly. Same story here in January. Doctor said a severe respiratory infection and the surgery was full of people with same in December. It was here long before it was acknowledged in February. Difference of course was we were unknowingly living with it.same as we do with many other things yet unknown too us and no mention of them.

Just seen a video taken inside Russia on CNN. Quite shocking scenes in hospital and morgue.

Water John wrote: »
    Just seen a video taken inside Russia on CNN. Quite shocking scenes in hospital and morgue.

Can imagine it must be grim.

I often wonder. During first siege of covid I saw an interview with an ngo paramedic in one of the African countries, one I’ve rarely heard of, but anyway. I think she said it had a population of 5 or 6 million people, but just literally 5 old ventilators for the whole population.

People whinge and moan about ireland and you even see people say we have a third world health system. These people have no idea how privileged we are in this country.

Chances of a level 2 or 3 restrictions at Christmas are getting further and further away, Numbers yesterday was about double last monday.
    Race to the bottom now.
    I wish they'd enforce the restrictions but it seems the guards can't be bothered .
    Have they the balls to ban take away pints....... I don't think so

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2029717

Interesting read, if transmission can't be significantly slowed in a controlled military environment with masks and strict following of the rules. What chance is there at a population level where things can never be as tightly controlled.
    90% of positives were totally asymptomatic also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2029717

Interesting read, if transmission can't be significantly slowed in a controlled military environment with masks and strict following of the rules. What chance is there at a population level where things can never be as tightly controlled.
    90% of positives were totally asymptomatic also

And living in close quarters? Most likely a lot of communal facilitie

Edit: just read through it, do you really think that strict military disciple will stop spread when they have so many shared facilities? Large groups of people eating together for example and shared washing facilities.

emaherx wrote: »
    And living in close quarters? Most likely a lot of communal facilities.

2 to a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭emaherx

2 to a room.

Eating?
    Washing?

Advertisement