Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carrying bikes on your car

• 04-06-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've got a strap based bike rack for the back of the car, had my new road bike on it earlier and after it seems like the back wheel is a bit buckled - not sure if it was from my last ride or has that happened anyone from transporting on a bike rack?

Going to buy either a towbar or roof rack - have a Volvo V50 with roof rails but no roof rack yet, and don't have a towbar (not a good start here!) - so what are peoples preferences/suggestions for either choice? And suggested racks etc...

I've heard Mick's garage are good, or worth popping to Halfords and asking them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

If you strapped the wheel or bike awkwardly it could have buckled the wheel as you drove. They do hop around a bit so you need to be careful how they're strapped on.

I have a tow bar rack and I think it's the business - so easy to just stick it on and pop the bike(s) on it.

I've never had the bikes on the roof - someone once told me water and dirt can get into places it normally wouldn't if you're driving on the motorway. Not sure how true that is but it always put me off. The tow bar rack is probably the same, but the car itself may offer some protection.

Personally I stay away from Halfords - pretty much any bike shop will give better advice, even if it means paying a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

depends on the halfords but its where i have bought most of my roof rack bits from recently, just changed car needed new footpacks so cost a bit, but the people in sligo always seem to sort me out !

i personally like the thule 598 carrier as the down tube clamp stops you overtightening it

the 561 where you take off the front wheel always feels slightly more secure

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

I’ve always used fork mount roof carriers and never had an issue.
    Changed the car last year and got a pair of aero alloy roof bars and 2x Thule 561 for approx €300 . Won’t suit all bike types though but a lot cheaper than fitting a tow bar and buying a tow bar mounted rack , unless of course you were fitting the tow bar regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

fondriest wrote: »
    I’ve always used fork mount roof carriers and never had an issue.
    Changed the car last year and got a pair of aero alloy roof bars and 2x Thule 561 for approx €300 . Won’t suit all bike types though but a lot cheaper than fitting a tow bar and buying a tow bar mounted rack , unless of course you were fitting the tow bar regardless.

Yeah, i've no other use for the towbar really, and largely don't know much about either option - thanks for the info, where did you get the roof bars & Thules?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Another vote for the Thule Outride 561 fork mount roof rack. Very solid and easy to use.

I got mine off eBay; if you're patient you may find one locally.

For the roof bars, do some research and know what model you need, then you should be able to get them from Mick's Garage or eBay. We got a new car 4 yrs ago, so I budgeted in factory roof bars in the purchase. (Apparently Thule makes the racks for Renault, so it all worked out well in my case.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Yeah, i've no other use for the towbar really, and largely don't know much about either option - thanks for the info, where did you get the roof bars & Thules?

I've been using a couple of 591s for a good few years, they're pretty good. There's videos on YouTube of lads driving with speed over some pretty rough ground to test them without issue.

I got mine from Cycle Superstore at the time, and roof bars from Halfords. The Thule website has a pretty good calculator which will guide you as to what footpads and bards you should get based on your car.

Another vote for the Thule Outride 561 fork mount roof rack. Very solid and easy to use.

For the roof bars, do some research and know what model you need, then you should be able to get them from Mick's Garage or eBay. We got a new car 4 yrs ago, so I budgeted in factory roof bars in the purchase. (Apparently Thule makes the racks for Renault, so it all worked out well in my case.)

Thanks - for fork mount, i've got disc brakes - do I need to get mounts specific to those for a thru axle or are yours adjustable or compatible for both? Haven't seen the fork mount in use before so may be a stupid question!

Thanks - for fork mount, i've got disc brakes - do I need to get mounts specific to those for a thru axle or are yours adjustable or compatible for both? Haven't seen the fork mount in use before so may be a stupid question!

IIRC the 561 comes with an adapter for larger thru axles - 10mm maybe (actually I see it's probably 15mm)? None of my stuff is disc so I tossed it into the glove box (I think) and have never used it.

IIRC the 561 comes with an adapter for larger thru axles - 10mm maybe (actually I see it's probably 15mm)? None of my stuff is disc so I tossed it into the glove box (I think) and have never used it.

thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi,
    I've got a strap based bike rack for the back of the car, had my new road bike on it earlier and after it seems like the back wheel is a bit buckled - not sure if it was from my last ride or has that happened anyone from transporting on a bike rack?

Going to buy either a towbar or roof rack - have a Volvo V50 with roof rails but no roof rack yet, and don't have a towbar (not a good start here!) - so what are peoples preferences/suggestions for either choice? And suggested racks etc...

I've heard Mick's garage are good, or worth popping to Halfords and asking them?

Thanks!
    A tow bar is your man

• Advertisement

Had one on a previous car but too expensive to put on my insight,mine went straight on,2 minutes - wheels all secure - off u go ,if near Cork Billy Murray's your man, Bishoptown,across from the cit

A few more thoughts on this (though I think you've probably been swayed already!) is that a towbar, if you don't already have one, may be expensive; also, roof bars allow you to stick on a top box, which can be very handy for long trips to free up space in your car; finally, the Thule OutRide 561 fits & coexists nicely next to a top box.

Thule was the make of the tow bar attachment aswell,do whatever you choose Thule is quality

A few more thoughts on this (though I think you've probably been swayed already!) is that a towbar, if you don't already have one, may be expensive; also, roof bars allow you to stick on a top box, which can be very handy for long trips to free up space in your car; finally, the Thule OutRide 561 fits & coexists nicely next to a top box.

A top box sounds great too, and don't think the tow bar would have any other use, so seems to make more sense, just need to not become another 'I know this guy that used a roof rack and drove in to XYZ...' story!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Think I got the roofbars from either Micks garage or roofbox.co.uk cant remember, got the thules from alltricks.com .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just to say on the towbar, it's now tested by the NCT so you can't just attach one, it needs the electrics wired up as well as they are tested now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

Stick a baby mirror on the dashboard so you can see your bikes if on the roof to remind you that they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Is it not a pain in the hole getting your bike up onto the roof? Granted if you've a light racer, but I have a chunky hybrid with kids seats which I would like to bring on holidays - it would be a massive pain getting that onto a roof?

My brother had a bar one which kind of folded away. It also swiveled down to allow you to open the boot. Probably more expensive but less hassle. Although it only takes 2 bikes and I'm fast approaching a place where I might want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have a towbar one that is tiltable. So handy when you are on the road with kids. Expensive when you add in the towbar cost. But it supposedly can take 4 bikes.

You also need to be mindful of obscuring your rear lights and number plate with a towbar carrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Perhaps factor in how convenient each option is and how often you would use it.
    I've the v50 also and went with the towbar and thule option over two years ago.

Previously I'd been using one of those halford frames bike racks that you attach to the car with straps all over the place. I found it stressful driving with them as you often had half an eye on the back to make sure they were still connected. Usually I would arrive to find at least one of the hooks and straps had come loose.

The towbar cost me 300 and another 100 for the thule. Putting on the bikes and taking them off takes no more than a couple of minutes vs maybe 10 minutes or more with the halford's bike rack. I don't know how long it takes with the roof rack but that time saving is great especially when you're already late for the group ride. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just to say on the towbar, it's now tested by the NCT so you can't just attach one, it needs the electrics wired up as well as they are tested now.

I was told this as well but my mechanic said that if you have electrics they must be working but that you dont have to have electrics. If you have them then they will test them.

As my electrics had been cut in the past (chasing a blown fuse) thy were not working so my mechanic just removed the electric socket and tidied away the cabling out of sight. All I can say is that the car passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've a V60 and bought the G3 roof rack from Mick's garage last year. it's aero style bars with lock mechanism for the volvo roof rails.
    They were 70 euro when I bought them and frankly knock the arse out of the Thule ones for weight and value . I've had 2 sets of Thule in the past for BMWs.

Check Mick's garage out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone ever hit a low lying barrier whilst carrying bikes on the roof?

in a moment of forgetfulness/spacing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fryup wrote: »
    anyone ever hit a low lying barrier whilst carrying bikes on the roof?

No.

But you should know your roof height with them on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

boege wrote: »
    I was told this as well but my mechanic said that if you have electrics they must be working but that you dont have to have electrics. If you have them then they will test them.

As my electrics had been cut in the past (chasing a blown fuse) thy were not working so my mechanic just removed the electric socket and tidied away the cabling out of sight. All I can say is that the car passed.
    My electrics were faulty, so I removed the socket. Tester said if the socket wasn't there it would be a visual retest and I'd pass. Different tester came out and said if the bar was there, the electrics had to be(after he went in and double checked). It only took another 5 minutes to remove but I guess it's so new, they are not certain on the specifics yet.

I am tempted to put it back on as I have an aldi tow bar mount but haven't been arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

CramCycle wrote: »
    My electrics were faulty, so I removed the socket. Tester said if the socket wasn't there it would be a visual retest and I'd pass. Different tester came out and said if the bar was there, the electrics had to be(after he went in and double checked). It only took another 5 minutes to remove but I guess it's so new, they are not certain on the specifics yet.

I am tempted to put it back on as I have an aldi tow bar mount but haven't been arsed.

Interesting, I just bought a car with a towbar, must check the electrics.

Also bought an Aldi towbar rack, more stable than the straps and good setup is been using

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

boege wrote: »

You need the electrical socket in working order if the tow hitch is present. The alternative is to remove the hitch at each NCT.

As can be seen there's still some confusion though. I did ring the NCT help line twice to seek clarification and both times they had to get back to me.

Essentially they said that a working electrical socket has to be present as I did suggest that I'll just remove it otherwise. You could be lucky with a tester and they'll see it differently, but it was a no no for me so I ultimately removed the hitch, passed the NCT, and put it back on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

cletus wrote: »
    Interesting, I just bought a car with a towbar, must check the electrics.

Also bought an Aldi towbar rack, more stable than the straps and good setup is been using

I assume the Aldi towbar racks were available previously? I cant find them available on the website now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We bring 4 bikes and I’ve a bad back.

Towbar mounted carrier is easy and quickly loaded.

Advertisement