Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Builds Up Their Own Bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I built up an S-Works Roubaix earlier this year. I bought the frame set and stripped my last bike and then sold that frame. I love the whole process. I am fairly confident with all aspects of a build, the only thing I have never done or attempted is wheel building:truing as I have never had the need to. I can strip and rebuild wheel freehubs/bearings/axles etc just not spokes/rims.

Over the last number of years I have accumulated a fairly large collection of bike tools (to add to the already massive collection of general DIY/car tools I have. Anything I needed I usually bought as I figured leaving the bike into a bike shop would always be more expensive than buying the tool/parts and doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

outfox wrote: »
    Here's a project I did last year. It's great fun picking out the various components and colour scheme. I'd highly recommend it.

201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0

IMG]www.dropbox.com/s/j0g8njaz9adeid9/201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0[/IMG]

I give up. I can never seem to upload photos.

That is sweet, exactly how a bike should be to my mind. Great build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Here's a project I did last year. It's great fun picking out the various components and colour scheme. I'd highly recommend it.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

That's a beaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Very nice outfox. What Columbus tubing is the Zullo?

Edit: I like the use of later model Campagnolo record alloy skewers with the boras. My favourite skewers. Nice touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Cheers. Columbus SLX as far as I know (I'm away at the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0

IMG]www.dropbox.com/s/j0g8njaz9adeid9/201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0[/IMG]

I dont think Drop Box allow you to link to their storage - I downloaded you image and reloaded it to boards at the link below
    483643.JPG

Lovely bike. .......Boras FTW! I reckon they add a wow-factor to any bike

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

Just ordered Ultegra R8020 groupset, 3T discus wheelset and loads of bits to build up a J. Guillem Major frameset which am going to order also. I now will have a week or so to wait to see what bits I have forgotten for the build!!

Thanks for that, Blaaman. Can anyone upload photos to boards.ie/vbulletin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭hesker

Thanks for that, Blaaman. Can anyone upload photos to boards.ie/vbulletin ?

You might need a minimum number of posts but yeah anyone can I think.

It’s fairly easy. Use the wizard to upload and before you close the wizard down if you hover over the uploaded image icon you get the URL that you can then enclose within the [IMG][/IMG] tags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Built up a few years ago, frame picked up from @H.E Pennypacker. Wheels are TB14 rims\Novotec hubs from Cycle Clinic. Groupset is 10 speed Veloce.

Great bike for the good weather.

aENiGIyh.jpg

tOpcw19h.jpg

• Advertisement

Nearly forgot. Picked up a really nice Guerc frame a couple of years back. It’s been sitting in the back of a closet since I bought it. Have a nice Athena groupset to put on it but just don’t have time to put it all together. Cromor tubing so not exactly high end but the paint job is perfect and price was reasonable so couldn’t resist.

Colour looks orange in photo but is red irl.

483704.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭bsb1971

hesker wrote: »
    Bought a 1980 Peugeot Super Competition off a guy in Germany for not very much after his ebay sale got no offers. Almost perfect 531 frame with chrome like new.

Took off the parts and boxed them up. Put on a 94 Record 8 speed groupset and wheels. Had to spread the rear forks a little and realign the dropouts but was fairly straightforward.

Now have a really sweet running steel bike that I bike to work on during summer months.

Would love to see some pics!

I'm always messing about with bikes when I have spare time (In a house with 2 year old twins not much lol)!! I've a Specialized sworks e5 aerotec frame and just bought a Litespeed Sirius off a guy in Australia (probably the so far nuttiest move I've made ). Have an sram force 11 speed and a 10 speed sram red partial groupsets which I bought on eBay. Wheels currently are my issue, want to buy some new ones but also have a mint set of dura ace 7800 wheels which I will either use or sell in order to fund wheels. Dilemma dilemma! Loads of bits and pieces for finishing kit to be sorted. I lovè it tbh! Was contemplating buying a caad12 frameset, ended up spending the budget on the above. Also have a Peugeot 531 frame to build up for general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I have two going at the moment, a 70's Claud Butler and an 80's Viking.... first bought for €150 and the second found abandoned. Both 531

I have a third, a Triumph ladies racer, which is down the lbs getting finished, i'll post up a pic when its back, it's really lovely.

They are both taking me ages ( i am really good at dismantling, not so good at reassemble) but it's nice to have projects to fill any rare gaps in everyday life. Great learning experience too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Yeah love doing it, built everything I have ridden except for the current CAAD12. A nice hobby along with the cycling.

Those CAAD bikes are superb. I built up a CAAD10 last year. Great bike to ride, although it's lost some of its mojo since Plastik pointed out that Cannonadale should be in italics :(

Fab looking build!!!

Those CAAD bikes are superb. I built up a CAAD10 last year. Great bike to ride, although it's lost some of its mojo since Plastik pointed out that Cannonadale should be in italics :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think you were ahead of the curve outfox. Have you seen the current team bikes?

img_2122_670.jpg

• outfox wrote: »

Shut up and take my money !!!!! Lovely bike.

Plastik wrote: »
    I think you were ahead of the curve outfox. Have you seen the current team bikes?

img_2122_670.jpg

If I had a legal team like Specialized, I'd sue their asses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

McTigs wrote: »
    I have a third, a Triumph ladies racer, which is down the lbs getting finished, i'll post up a pic when its back, it's really lovely.
    This just finished (almost, i'm still working on the dynamo).... wife is delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Have an old KTM steel bike from late 80's, anyone know if theyre any good?
    Even has the original ktm bell!

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Have an old KTM steel bike from late 80's, anyone know if theyre any good?
    Even has the original ktm bell!

Hard to tell without a photo or a lot more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

stunning bike, had a 2012 caad 10 myself, great machine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McTigs wrote: »
    This just finished (almost, i'm still working on the dynamo).... wife is delighted with it.

I'm about to take on a project like this, it's a ladies Raleigh from the 80's. Really looking forward to it

I found an old Olmo frame & fork, Columbus Aelle - it's not even my size, but it was a good deal and really pretty, a pink/gold colour.

I really hope it's as nice in person as what I've seen in pics. I'll post as soon as I have it in my hands. Not really sure what to do with it yet, there are lots of options as it's not super-special but it is a nice frame: full modern neo-retro, it'd easily accept any Shimano/SRAM or Campy groupset; total "rat-rod" with whatever stuff you have laying around; or what I'd probably go with (but I have no name for), stick a 9 or 10 speed wheelset on it, but stay with friction DT shifters, modern Tektro brakes but old levers and a quill stem.

Something fun for the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

I found an old Olmo frame & fork, Columbus Aelle - it's not even my size, but it was a good deal and really pretty, a pink/gold colour.

I really hope it's as nice in person as what I've seen in pics. I'll post as soon as I have it in my hands. Not really sure what to do with it yet, there are lots of options as it's not super-special but it is a nice frame: full modern neo-retro, it'd easily accept any Shimano/SRAM or Campy groupset; total "rat-rod" with whatever stuff you have laying around; or what I'd probably go with (but I have no name for), stick a 9 or 10 speed wheelset on it, but stay with friction DT shifters, modern Tektro brakes but old levers and a quill stem.

Something fun for the new year.

SNAP! Picked up an old Olmo myself today, on a four hour roadtrip. Grand way to start the year!

SL tubing and mostly old Shimano 600 in good shape.

As if I needed another project bike!

8valve wrote: »
    SNAP! Picked up an old Olmo myself today, on a four hour roadtrip. Grand way to start the year!

SL tubing and mostly old Shimano 600 in good shape.

As if I needed another project bike!

Was that the one on adverts, the gold one? If so, you did very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

Was that the one on adverts, the gold one? If so, you did very well.

No, this one is red and white pearl, resprayed professionally at some point in its life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I found a Raleigh Flyer over the Christmas, frame and fork, no headset, track ends on it.

Seat post is stuck so guess it was dumped, I will try remove it and if I can will build it up with all the bits and pieces I have.

Advertisement