Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Builds Up Their Own Bikes?

• 28-05-2019 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

I love assembling bikes, as a hobby. Find a steel frame from the 1990s, dig through my "box o' crap" for whatever it's missing, acquire whatever new stuff it needs (drivetrain, bottom bracket, cables & housings etc). I always end up learning something new, and have a nice rider when it's done.

I'm currently waiting on final parts for a mid-90s steel Fondriest w/Columbus Gara tubing.

Does anyone else do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

I've a 1985 steel raleigh frameset ready for paint, gonna be satin black and have 105 6700 groupset ready to to go on it, should look interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I do it.

Usually end up with frankenmonster builds that look like a random cluster of rescued and completely mismatched parts held together by the frame.

They are my bikes that only father can love.

(even had my 5 minutes of fame when GCN laughed at my SS conversion ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Bought a 1980 Peugeot Super Competition off a guy in Germany for not very much after his ebay sale got no offers. Almost perfect 531 frame with chrome like new.

Took off the parts and boxed them up. Put on a 94 Record 8 speed groupset and wheels. Had to spread the rear forks a little and realign the dropouts but was fairly straightforward.

Now have a really sweet running steel bike that I bike to work on during summer months.

Do those old bikes use cotter pins, or am I really showing my age?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I love assembling bikes, as a hobby. Find a steel frame from the 1990s, dig through my "box o' crap" for whatever it's missing, acquire whatever new stuff it needs (drivetrain, bottom bracket, cables & housings etc). I always end up learning something new, and have a nice rider when it's done.

I'm currently waiting on final parts for a mid-90s steel Fondriest w/Columbus Gara tubing.

Does anyone else do this?

You should post a picture up here when it’s complete. I have never bought a bike complete. For newer builds I’d source a frameset, groupset, wheelset and other parts myself. I have built a number of older bikes too (90s Carrera & Tommassini Tecno). Because of their age, finding the right parts is more of a challenge and it takes longer to buy the parts you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Aegir wrote: »
    Do those old bikes use cotter pins, or am I really showing my age?

A 70's Bianchi I got a few years ago had cottered cranks. I sold them on. I always put a more modern BB in, but I like to stick with square-taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yep apart from wheels everything else no bother, huge box of tools going back 30 years (and i still cant find my park toils chain splitter)

letape wrote: »
    You should post a picture up here when it’s complete. I have never bought a bike complete. For newer builds I’d source a frameset, groupset, wheelset and other parts myself. I have built a number of older bikes too (90s Carrera & Tommassini Tecno). Because of their age, finding the right parts is more of a challenge and it takes longer to buy the parts you want.

Yeah, I was gonna do that once it's done.

Oh yes, please post pics of the Tommassini!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I have a bunch of old frames. Mostly crap except for a very nice Viner colombus job. Have all types of ideas for it. Always costs more than I expect as I struggle to post anything for sale to fund new parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Yeah, I was gonna do that once it's done.

Oh yes, please post pics of the Tommassini!

Here you go

wNiTEoe.jpg

09A1ngO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've built and rebuilt several. Most recently moving a 3x xtr from one mtb to another and installing a 1x on it.

I generally strip and rebuild a bike once every few years and occasionally I'm "a frame" or something away from another bike with all the boys and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've built and rebuilt several. Most recently moving a 3x xtr from one mtb to another and installing a 1x on it.

I generally strip and rebuild a bike once every few years and occasionally I'm "a frame" or something away from another bike with all the boys and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

I do this all the time. Love building neo retro bikes... Old steel frame with modern components. Best of both worlds imo

I have a bunch of old frames. Mostly crap except for a very nice Viner colombus job. Have all types of ideas for it. Always costs more than I expect as I struggle to post anything for sale to fund new parts!

I'm always interested in old steel, even crap lol
    Keep me in mind if shifting/selling any.

Mine

481595.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8valve wrote: »
    carlton 531 frame here asking €60; not sure if he wants to sell everything at once though.

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/raleigh-frames/18006730

carlton 531 frame here asking €60; not sure if he wants to sell everything at once though.

https://www.adverts.ie/bike-frames/raleigh-frames/18006730

Cheers, mb; only got one of those a couple of weeks ago from a friend who pulled it out of the shed.
    Looking for a few old Raleighs at the moment as I plan to paint and build up a set of three in the various team colours, TI, Panasonic and Banana. 501, 531 or even pig iron 18-23 will be fine, from 56-59cm, ideally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I find those old stems fugly :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Alek wrote: »

(even had my 5 minutes of fame when GCN laughed at my SS conversion ;) )

Link to that?

My current bike I stripped to a bare frame apart from headset and changed everything. It's running like a dream and I know I took meticulous care with every little detail. I have built engines in my time so very handy on the tools but bikes are fairly easy to work on and so enjoyable

Everything came in late this week and it's now done! I sanded and resprayed the seatpost, and it turned out really well.

20190601_152145-001.jpg

mid-90s Fondriest Squadra Corse, Columbus Gara tubing. Weighs in at just under 11kgs / around 23.5lbs.

• Advertisement

Everything came in late this week and it's now done! I sanded and resprayed the seatpost, and it turned out really well.

Attachment not found.

mid-90s Fondriest Squadra Corse, Columbus Gara tubing. Weighs in at just under 11kgs / around 23.5lbs.

Well done, that man.

Class looking machine.

I dunno why I listed the weight. I'm not hyper-conscious of bike weight, but I still like to know what a bike weighs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what groupset did you use?

what groupset did you use?

Mostly Campagnolo Mirage.

A full list of components...

* shifters, brake calipers, and rear derailleur = Mirage
    * front derailleur = Shimano, not sure what, but it works fine.
    * wheelset = Khamsin
    * BB = Centaur (Italian)
    * crankset = Daytona ( = Centaur)
    * stem = 3TTT Evol 2002
    * pedals = Shimano 105
    * headset = Campagnolo (not sure what, it's not marked otherwise)

I have a mint Dura ace 7403 wheelset. Mavic argent 10 rims (Tubs). I'd be open to offers

I have a mint Dura ace 7403 wheelset. Mavic argent 10 rims (Tubs). I'd be open to offers
    Pm me please or post pics if possible. I'm an awful hoor for old dura ace!

My commuting bike is off the road which has given me enough of a kick up the arse to get back working on this.
    I swapped out the tubular rims for clinchers over the last few days.
    Almost finished. Just waiting on a stepped ferrule for the rear cable hanger.

My commuting bike is off the road which has given me enough of a kick up the arse to get back working on this.
    I swapped out the tubular rims for clinchers over the last few days.
    Almost finished. Just waiting on a stepped ferrule for the rear cable hanger.

DV8dySG

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/DV8dySG

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Here's a project I did last year. It's great fun picking out the various components and colour scheme. I'd highly recommend it.

201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0

IMG]www.dropbox.com/s/j0g8njaz9adeid9/201905%20kealkil%205.JPG?dl=0[/IMG]

I give up. I can never seem to upload photos.

• Advertisement

file?dl=1

^outfox

Nice bike & build

Advertisement